Thread: Review of the Casio Waveceptor WV-200DE-1AVER

Review of the Casio Waveceptor WV-200DE-1AVER

hi all,

today i wanna show you my new watch, that i got two days ago. it's not a g-shock, though the specifications are none-the-less impressive i think and well worth a look.

the watch is not small, actually it is big and it wears big, yet pretty comfortable. its dimensions are (measured with my sliding rule):

- 47.5mm side to side
    - 52mm lug to lug (upper part)
    - 15.5mm height

that makes it in the width about 1.5mm wider than a mudman, lug to lug is the same and in the height about 0.5mm higher (measured without the "knobs" on the mudman caseback).

however, g-shocks have usually a 28mm diameter crystal surface but this watch has 30mm which makes it's appearance significant larger (yes, 2mm can do a lot optically).

first of all, two wristshots:

despite its size, the watch is not heavy. mine has a weight of exactly 100 grams with four bracelet links removed.

apropos bracelet: the linksystem is something that i have never seen on any other watch before. it is in my opinion quite unusual, yet simple and it seems to be rugged enough to take a good beating. the links are hold together by some kind of "L" shaped pins, to give you an idea, here is a pic:

the bracelet is okay (considered the watch price) but it is nowhere near the quality of the "tank chain" a MTG-9xx or G-7xx cockpit bracelet delivers. what i like about it is, that it has four holes for fine adjustment:

what i don't like about it is the "hook" (sorry, i don't know what the proper english word is for that thing) that snaps onto the clasp and hold it in place (closed). this "hook" looks like a piece of cheap iron sheet (which it is) and doesn't come across very solid:

this seems to be a weak point (the only one i have found on this watch so far) from a mechanical point of view and only time will tell how well - or bad - its up for the job. the bracelet might not be the toughest or prettiest, but it wraps around my wrist nicely and makes this watch a comfortable one to wear (as usually all casio bracelets i have tried to date).

away from the bracelet to the watch itself:

the WV-200DE-1AVER is watch that has a very interesting design. on the one hand it has a technical, rugged look, almost like a g-shock (the waveceptor "eye" indicator does a lot for that), on the other hand it definitely has a classy timeless look which makes it also wearable to a suit or finer clothes in my opinion. the bracelet and upper part of the case is brushed (matte) stainless steel, while the outer part of the case is polished (i usually don't like polished metals, but ist not too bad on this one).

not sure if it comes across good enough on the pictures, but at least i tried

the functions of the watch are great, still not super great but i think sufficient for about 90% in daily life. one thing i especially like about that module (as non-english native) is it's ability to display the weekdays name in german. it also can display the weekday in italian, chinese, pyc (cyrillic?), japanese, english, spanish, french and portugese (in this order).

it is also great, that it can be switched between european style date and american/british style date (19.04.2009 instead of 04.19.2009). it gives you in the main menu (timekeeping mode) full information about time, day, date, day of the week and year:

one thing that also took me forward to this timepiece is it's ability to show the current time in ALL modes. this is something that comes up in this forum very often and most of the time it is a point of annoyance for most of us, if our beloved watches don't do that. the WV-200DE-1AVER however, does it:

the alarm time was set to remind me of a specific ebay auction that was finished today (i won it btw. )

of course this watch is not perfect either, unfortunately it measures only 60min for the stoppwatch and the countdown timer and it only got one alarm, opposite to g-shock's which usually have four or five alarms. the alarm is not user configurable it can only be set for the running day or - if you already behind time schedule - for the next day and will repeat as long as you turn it off manually. the alarms beep for ten seconds without being overly loud or low - pretty normal standard as found on other casio watches as well.

what i find great is that the el-backlight duration is set for 3 seconds (for me a permanent critic point on other casios is their 1.5 seconds duration) and it's colour is rather bluish/turquoise and not so much greenish as we are used to see from g-shock's - very nice. sorry for the crappy pic but the colour comes quite accurate across as in the flesh:

there is no auto-el function on this model and no dedicated fifth light button, but the buttons are pretty non-slipping (rough surface) and easy to access, (also with gloves on) so this a rather small issue for me (though i usually prefer the dedicated light button).

the watch is a 5 band atomic model which enables it to sync with the radio transmitters in germany, uk, usa and japan (2x). once it has found a signal the radio conrol "eye" shows level 3 and thats it. no nonsens like showing what transmitter in what country is synched right now, clean and simple.

this watch is not solar driven but runs with a CR1620 3 volt lithium battery which is claimed by casio to run for about 3 years (probably much longer). this might or might not be a plus for some, as well as a minus for others, personally i don't care about the lack of solar at all.

what else? well, the crystal is pretty recessed and therefore well protected by a black resin bezel just like on a g-shock. it is a flat mineral crystal and the watch has a water resist rating of 200 meters (20 bar) which also puts it into the g-shock league.

summary:

I quite like this watch, its kind of a bit different from the g-shock line but it is a solid casio product as we know it and appreciate it. it has some great functions, though it's not perfect, but then - what casio watch (or any other brand for that matter) is? I think for the money you get a lot and a versatile watch that makes a great beater as well as for formal occasions. for those of you who want to check out the entire specifications here is the link to the american website (please note, that the metal bracelet model seems only to be available in europe right now):

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepi.../WV200_Series/

and the link to the european website:

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/wat...v-200de-1aver/

and the link to the manual:

http://www2.casio.co.jp/manual_pdf/w...hp?MODULE=3139

well, thats about it. I hope you enjoined reading my review and i also hope it wasn't too long one last picture:

regards, holger
    The big difference between an analog and a digital watch:

- An analog watch is an interpreter (about 10-11 minutes to eleven)
    - A digital watch leaves no room for interpretation but only facts (10:58:50)

Dive Watches Mod & MaL OnTimeGabe's Avatar

Re: Review of the Casio Waveceptor WV-200DE-1AVER

I'm late reading this one, holger, but nice review! I like the highly legible LCD, but the bracelet does seem to be a bit odd. Overall it looks very good on the wrist.
    Regards,

Gabe

Banned

This is one of the nicest radio controlled G-Shocks. Thanks for the review and enjoy!

:thanks for the informative review. Gives me a better perspecitve on the non-G's Casio makes. Great reveiw and photos!

thanks guys for your nice comments. I was off for two weeks for an afghanistan military exercise, so i couldn't respond - sorry.

@minidriver,

this is not a g-shock, though it looks like one. it is from the casio waveceptor series.

regards, holger
    The big difference between an analog and a digital watch:

- An analog watch is an interpreter (about 10-11 minutes to eleven)
    - A digital watch leaves no room for interpretation but only facts (10:58:50)

Thread Information