Thread: Review: Timex T5F8419J Shock Ironman Triathlon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Review: Timex T5F8419J Shock Ironman Triathlon...

I figured I'd start doing a few reviews of some of the digitals in my collection (feel free to do the same with your own), so we can use them as future resources.

This review is about the Triathlon version of Timex's recent "Shock" resistant line, the T5F8419J.

As with Casio's G-shock, Timex's new Shock line of digitals is designed to meet ISO 1413:1984 minimum shock resistance standards for digital watches.

Below is a picture of mine in it's case.

Here are my impressions:

Movement:

Anyone familiar with Ironman watches will find a bevy of standard features. The watch comes equipped with the following functions: Time (including 3 Time Zone tracking), date, chronograph with 30-Lap recall, count down timer, 3 alarms, and programable indiglo backlight (only lights the digits not the whole screen, which is very cool). IN addition it has a few interesting functions not typically found, such as a programmable "Occasion Mode Reminder" (an electronic version of the string tied around your finger reminding you to do stuff); a Golf score keeper (cool if you're a golfer); and a programable "Flix" system which allows you to activate the backlight by simply flicking your wrist (as opposed to pressing the light button).

The feature list (except for the last three) is fairly standard fare with Ironman triathlon models, even if the lap memory on this one is not as high as some of the non shock models. A cool feature of the watch is that you can program which functions you want turned on and which ones you do not. The idea is that if there is a function you don't use, you can deactivate it, so that you don't have to cycle through it when using the watch. For example, I have the reminder and the golf features deactivated on mine because I just don't use them. a nice touch is that when you use a function, once you finish, if you hit mode, the watch will send you back to the main time screen (unlike other digitals which will make you cycle through the remaining functions before you get back to the main screen).

Case
    :

As with G-shocks, the case is really a mixture of an inner metal case which holds the movement, embedded into an outer polyurethane case which aids with impact absorption. Surrounding the display is an aluminium bezel held in place by the outer polyurethane case and 4 allen bolts. Depending on the model can be either plain or anodized in a variety of colors (mine is blue).

A with many g shocks, the case is oddly thick, making the watch wear relatively high in comparison to it's width. Most functions are activated through a series of 5 buttons (4 on the sides and one below the screen). A nice touch is that the backlight button is set in a different color, making easy to see. The buttons are also polyurethane and are reasonably thick and easy to use. for G-shock lovers, you will find that while more comfortable to use, the buttons on the Timex lack surrounding guards and don't feel quite as mechanically precise as comparable G's (that is not saying that they are bad though). In addition the choice of case and strap plastics are not quite as supple as those use by casio. The caseback is a stainless steel 4 screw design which is common in these types of watches. It looks just like this one previously posted by WUS member, Buzzbait on His Review of his Timex Shock:

Crystal:

Flat Mineral - recessed fairly deeply

Strap:

Integrated polyurethane design. Thankfully it is not permanently attached to the case and can be replaced if needed. the strap is neither hard nor soft, but somewhere in between. It is full of adjustment holes which do double duty as heat vents (nice touch). Also the end of the adjustment strap has a built in recess in to which the strap keeper locks, so as to keep any excess strap ends from flapping around after you've put the watch on (the design is the revers of that used in the Nike Oregon).

Water resistance:

200 meters. Not an ISO rated diver, but I suppose it could be used for that purpose.

Display:

Digital Negative display, showing time, active functions, date, and active alarms. Unlike it's positive display variants, The negative display is not a high contrast variety - the stock pictures make it look far more high contrast than it is. In other words, while nice, it is not quite as easy to see at a glance as some newer high contrast negative displays (the digits get a little lost in the black). The flipside of this is that unlike most G's the digits are relatively large and the display is generally devoid of unnecessary styling, thus making it easy to read (and much easier to read in positive display models). As mentioned earlier, The indiglo backlight makes only the digits glow, as opposed to the entire dial, making them especially easy to read in the dark.

General Impressions:

I bought this watch because I wanted to see an alternative to a G-shock. To me it seems like Timex has definitely used Casio as the standard and designed the watch accordingly. The watch wears very much like a G-shock and shares more than a passing resemblance to one. Fit and finish is not quite up to casio's standards, but it is not bad (If anything the watch feels a bit more rugged), especially when you consider that these can be had for a fraction of the price of most G's. If you are looking for a weekend beater, this is definitely a very affordable way to go. From a function POV, you can't go wrong with the Timex. IMHO, the larger digits, uncluttered display, ease of use, and functions arranged primarily for sport, beat the casio's hands down. the negative display, on the other hand could use some improvement - a high contrast one would be preferable - and I would advice you to stick to the positive display models. Overall it is a very nice and functional watch for a fraction of the price of a comparable G. It doesn't break much ground in terms of original design and wears very much like a G. It's strengths are functionality, price, and the introduction of usable features such as the flix system. Overall a nice alternative to the Casio G line, even if not quite as nicely put together, and a solid piece made for real world use and abuse - though not a replacement for Timex's traditional, sport designed, Ironman Triathlon line.

Other models:

For a full list, see them a Timex's site here:

http://www.timex.com/gp/node/n/23852...Brand=coreSome

other models include:

T5F8219J:

T5K0229J:

T5J3819J

T5F8519J (Nylon Strap)

T5J4019J (Nylon Strap)
    Last edited by Isthmus; July 23rd, 2008 at 19:51.

Re: Review: Timex T5F8419J Shock Ironman Triathlon...

In case anyone wants to read another review, below is Buzzbait's review of his Timex Shock (the green and nylon strap version of my watch):

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzbait View Post
    I went out Saturday, and happened to stop by a Timex store. They had a sale, so I picked up one of the new Ironman Shocks. I must say that it is a VERY nice watch. The design obviously borrows much from the newer style metallic bezel Casio G-Shocks. The rubber bezel seems to be very good at resisting digs and scuffs, but is still soft enough to absorb impact without cracking. The strap attaches just like a G-Shock, with a small lug width and those rubber feet that press against the case back.
    I’ve always liked G-Shocks, because the buttons are shrouded from accidental presses. The Ironman buttons are not shrouded, but they are protected enough that I have not accidentally pressed any buttons yet. The buttons are made of the same durable rubber as the bezel, which should make them very tough.

The Ironman module pretty much puts all G-Shocks to shame. The features are absolutely outstanding. The “Night Mode” for illumination is spectacular. It lights up the display whenever a button is pressed, and also incorporates the Flix system, where a strong flick of the wrist activates the light. I strongly prefer the Flix to Casio’s Auto-EL, as the Flix pretty much never accidentally lights up and drains the battery. Not that the battery needs help. It is rated for 6 years before draining.

The alarm features are very cool. I always set my G-Shocks for 2 alarms. One to wake up in the morning, and one to remind me to catch the bus in the afternoon. I can set the alarms on the Ironman to only go off on weekends, and ignore the weekends entirely. I love this!!!! I can also set holiday/special occasion reminders for any date in the calendar year, such as my anniversary and wife’s birthday.

I don’t golf, but the Ironman has a golf score keeper. Fortunately, you can actually hide any watch feature you don’t use, so it doesn’t appear as you scroll through the modes. Very nice. Of course, the 100 hour chronograph is far more advanced than a G-Shock’s, having a lap counter built in. The 24 hour countdown timer is pretty much the same as a G-Shock’s, with an optional repeat setting.

I won’t go into all of the module features, but let’s just say that it has far more features than any G-Shock in my collection. The only G-Shock I have that has even half as many features is my G-9000 Mudman.

Oh yes. Then there’s the display itself. The time digits are HUGE and very easy to read. The whole display is laid out beautifully and logically. The crystal is fitted a good distance below the bezel. Not as deep as some G-Shocks, but as deep as DW-5600E at least.

I only see a few downsides to this watch. First, I really like the classic G-Shock look, more than many of the newer “designer styled” metallic bezel G-Shocks. This Ironman definitely looks more like a metallic bezel G.

Second, I don’t have much confidence in the strap. The nylon strap is sewn onto a rubber piece that fits into the lugs. The sewing does not exactly inspire confidence. I will buy one of the proprietary resin straps for this model, the next time I stop by the Timex store.

Third, the fifth button is not shrouded in any way, to protect it. It is made of good quality rubber, but could possibly be knocked off. Time will tell if this is even an issue. Theoretically, if the button is struck by an impact, the button should press in and be protected by the bezel. I’m not sure whether the bezel is actually painted metal or plastic.

Fourth, the watch itself sits very high off the wrist, and feels a little top heavy. The watch height is almost identical to a DW-6900. This is a big Ironman. It is not as wide as a DW-6900, but still commands a great deal of wrist presence. A resin strap could very well solve the top heavy feel to the watch.

All in all, if the shock absorbing and water resistant innards of this watch are good, the Ironman Shock easily competes with the G-Shock line, and in most ways surpasses Casio’s efforts. I am totally impressed with this Timex. The module is just mind blowing. After a downward spiral over the last ten to fifteen years, it looks like Timex is really turning things around, and starting to put out some very good watches again.

Dive Watches Mod & MaL OnTimeGabe's Avatar

Thanks for the great review, Gabe. I've never checked out one of the Timex Shock watches in person, but it sounds like a good option for someone not wanting to drop the cash on a comparable G-Shock. Interesting that you mentioned the watch going straight back to time display when you're done using another mode. My old Ironman that I've been running with for years does the same thing. Now that I've been wearing the Nike Oregon, I've noticed that feature now that I don't have it anymore. Not that it's a big deal to press the mode button a few times after using the chrono, but it is a minor annoyance.
    Regards,

Gabe

Question Re: Review: Timex T5F8419J Shock Ironman Triathlon...

Help! I bought a Timex T5F8419J a couple of years ago...played with it for a few months and then stopped wearing it do to its size (and my small wrists. While I was using it I disabled the Golf Mode. I've started wearing the watch again and want to use it to keep track of my golf scores....but I can't for the life of me remember how to re-enable the golf mode. Can anyone help me?

Banned

Timex seems to have a nice mix of very good quality and affordable prices. Nice review.

Sure, go to the timex site and download a copy of the usermanual for the watch. It is on there. Let us know if you need help finding it.

Hi.....I've been there (i.e. the Timex site) and believe that I've looked through all of the user manuals but could not find one for this watch. I'm sure that you're right....but, yes.....I could use some more of your help if you don't mind.

This is the link to where I was looking for the user manual: http://assets.timex.com/manuals/?timexBrand=core

FYI....If this is where you are directing me ....I can't find this style of watchj.

Great review, come close to buying a couple from the "Explorer" range, and waiting to look a the new WS4, which may prove interesting

Q-6

well done.........
    timex it's getting everyday better.......
    G-Shocks and subs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information