Switchable analogue or dig display/s? does one exist? - Page 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Switchable analogue or dig display/s? does one exist?

-->
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Switchable analogue or dig display/s? does one exist?

Quote Originally Posted by gloster View Post
    Arnette made a watch around the year 2000 which could display time in both analog and digital formats on an LCD display. It could also display the time in words. It is no longer made, but often comes up on eBay and goes for about $40 - $60.

Pulsar made a watch which did this as well (minus the words) in the eighties.
    And the man wins a cigar! Yep the Arnettes are what I was thinking of. Wow what a chunk o' watch that is.

Analogue mode...
    Name:  Arnette display mode analogue.JPG
Views: 1026
Size:  37.6 KB
    digital...
    Name:  Arnette display mode digital.JPG
Views: 1280
Size:  37.3 KB
    and for the hopelessly innumerate...
    Name:  Arnette display mode text.JPG
Views: 1004
Size:  37.9 KB

Not my cup of tea though.
    Nemo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Behm View Post
    Here you go (Gucci), just push the button to go from Digital to Analog.

Kurt

Slick, very slick. Thanks for all your suggestions chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    Well I'm dipping a toe in the waters as it were so many thanks for the encouraging words. You have given me another idea, the chap who posed the question is in fact a software engineer so I think I'll drop the idea and his question back on his desk and see what he thinks of scripting a program.
    That's the easy bit and then it's down to hardware selection; ...and maybe/probably a boat load of copyright infringement issues if someone wants to appropriate say a Blancpain image for processing and download it onto their wrist. I'm just thinking ahead here but while it's still notionally a "free world" there'd be nothing to stop someone taking a digital photo of a real watch they'd like to emulate and uploading that after a bit of digital clean up but then that can be incorporated into the dial editing program.

Hmmmmm!.............. ... .......

Even more ideas here...

This discusion could last very long, i have thought many time on this.

Like if it was possible to make a standar watch case and then program it to show what we want.

I cant undestand what stops us with all that technology around us... perhaps the part of the copyright issues maybe.. i dont really know...

I thought mostly on digitals because i like the functionality first, but its nice to hear that i could turn it to analog when i dont need the extra functions.

If you and your friend think it more serious please let me know, i could (i wish) give you some ideas for the digital part of the watch.

By the way there is a very interesting programmable ( digital only i think) watch, if you want to take a look:

EZ430 Chronos EZ430-Chronos - Texas Instruments Embedded Processors Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by bezgeo85 View Post
    I cant undestand what stops us with all that technology around us... perhaps the part of the copyright issues maybe.. i dont really know...
    More likely the size of those Texas Instruments application notes and programming manual, 630+ pages! Big technical pdf's don't frighten me but with the limited lifespan allotted to me I think I need to find a guy who's read that. And understands it.

I thought mostly on digitals because i like the functionality first, but its nice to hear that i could turn it to analog when i dont need the extra functions.
    An analogue dial is just another arrangemnt of pixels at the end of the day.

If you and your friend think it more serious please let me know, i could (i wish) give you some ideas for the digital part of the watch.
    I'll certainly bear that in mind B.g..

By the way there is a very interesting programmable ( digital only i think) watch, if you want to take a look:

EZ430 Chronos EZ430-Chronos - Texas Instruments Embedded Processors Wiki
    Yikes! back to school for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    More likely the size of those Texas Instruments application notes and programming manual, 630+ pages! Big technical pdf's don't frighten me but with the limited lifespan allotted to me I think I need to find a guy who's read that. And understands it.

An analogue dial is just another arrangemnt of pixels at the end of the day.

I'll certainly bear that in mind B.g..

Yikes! back to school for this one.

Hello again, to tell you the truth i dont really know details for the specific watch, the main point of my suggestion was the possibility of programming a watch.

It just seems to me very interesting and i think that we can easily make a serious basic digital watch that will overcome the usual compromises (i could write down at least 10 of them at casio line) that companies make in many watches, for unknown or no logical reasons (perhaps for selling more wathes? )...

Au revoir
    Last edited by bezgeo85; March 18th, 2012 at 00:08.

The first watch to allow you to switch was the Casio A201:

Interested in vintage digitals? Check out my vintage digital channel on YouTube: Vintage Digital Videos

Oh my word... I had a A201 when I was at school... and that was a very long time ago!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    /Vintage VDB 2014 Steel Polished/Casio Rangeman GW-9400-1DR/Casio Frogman GF-1000-1DR/Aquadive Bathyscaphe 300 SS/Aquadive Bathyscaphe 100 Bronze (Brown)/
    /Benarus Titanium Moray 47 Chronograph/Benarus Bronze Moray 47 (Green Dial)/Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chronograph (SPS007J1)/Citizen SHEcozilla (BJ8041) Suppaparts/
    /Seiko Ananta Spring Drive GMT (SNR019J1)/Seiko Fieldmaster (SBDC013)/Seiko Spork (SRP043K1)/Seiko Yellow BFK (SKA367K1)/Seiko Orange Monster (SKX781K1)/
    /Casio Heart of Darkness Protrek (PRG-130Y-1D)/Seiko Land Shark (SKZ209)/Omega James Bond Seamaster Professional (2531.80.00)/

If not, you will find it in smart watches like Pebble with different watch faces.

actually so many watch faces that you become another hobby for collection ... LOL
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information