TIMEX WS4 - help setting... ???

Thread: TIMEX WS4 - help setting... ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TIMEX WS4 - help setting... ???

Just received my Timex WS4

Trying to set the altitude, barometer. I go to the Cal section as the manual suggests and follow everything to a tee. After I put in the correct info (google is good to search this) I then hold the STOP/RESET as the manual suggests. Once I use the mode button to scroll to Alti and Baro, the numbers are already different. Any reason for this?

Secondly, in the Baro mode, why is it shown in both the top right and the bottom right (different readings)? Which is the current? What is the difference?

Yes, this is my first ABC watch... can you tell?

Came back to add this... the temp display changes often, every minute - 2 minutes and varies over that period several degrees as well.
    Last edited by supawabb; August 24th, 2010 at 08:59. Reason: adding on....

Re: TIMEX WS4 - help setting... ???

Quote Originally Posted by supawabb View Post
    Just received my Timex WS4

Trying to set the altitude, barometer. I go to the Cal section as the manual suggests and follow everything to a tee. After I put in the correct info (google is good to search this) I then hold the STOP/RESET as the manual suggests. Once I use the mode button to scroll to Alti and Baro, the numbers are already different. Any reason for this?

Secondly, in the Baro mode, why is it shown in both the top right and the bottom right (different readings)? Which is the current? What is the difference?

Yes, this is my first ABC watch... can you tell?

Came back to add this... the temp display changes often, every minute - 2 minutes and varies over that period several degrees as well.
    Try setting the watch to a known altitude, you are best to set either an altitude or barometric pressure, if you set one it will impact the other. I would like to go into more detail; only it`s been a long day and a much better night

WS4 can display both MSL and absolute/relative air pressure you can change the display by pressing the upper right button to display MSL & the weather trend graph.

Temp should be stable relative to the local environment, try to reset the watch by removing the battery. I have two WS4`s and they are both very accurate and stable.

Q-6

Been about 12 hours, think I am learning a bit here.

Only a few things still puzzle me... MSL (something sea level)? So should I only be setting either a) altitude or b) barometer? I went to one of the weather channels and found both and put in both? THing is, I still have 2 different baro readings...

Next, I calibrated the compass and it says CAL OK. WHen I go to compass mode, it it working and is accurate for about 20 secs then the display changes into three - - - at the top right where you see the N, SSW or whatever as well as the bottom left where the degrees are displayed. Is the compass only made to work for 15-20 secs and shut off to conserve battery power?

I can't speak for the WS4, becasue I don't have one, but I think some of your questions apply to quite a few ABC watches.
    As the WS4 displays MSL (Mean Sea Level) pressure as well as absolute pressure I assume that accounts for the 2 different pressure readings (this is certainly the case on my St. Moritz VS-1).
    The compass on many ABCs only operates for a few seconds and shuts down to conserve battery power. All you'll have to do is press the appropriate button to reactivate the compass - that sounds perfectly normal to me.

As Queen6 has already said, change only the pressure or the altitude because one will influence the other. I went through this when I got my VS-1 - it took me a little time to work it out!

Regarding the temp display - I'm not sure what's going on there; that sounds a little strange unless the unit is being taken on and off your wrist and is cooling / warming accordingly.
    Accurate temp readings are easiest to take with the unit off your wrist (darn that pesky bodyheat!)

These peices of kit aren't quite as straightforward as they're made out to be.
    I think many of the complaints and bad reviews levelled at ABCs are due, to a large extent, to user error and a lack of understanding as to how they work (not pointed at you supawabb by the way!). They're also not infallible, but are pretty darned good for what they are if you know what you're doing and how to use them.

Anyhow, I hope that helps! Good luck!
    Last edited by Pelican; August 24th, 2010 at 19:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
    ... I think many of the complaints and bad reviews levelled at ABCs are due, to a large extent, to user error and a lack of understanding as to how they work (not pointed at you supawabb by the way!).

Anyhow, I hope that helps! Good luck!
    I'd definitely point at ME!

This is a whole new realm of watches for me. Wanted it for a couple of reasons... the Mrs. and I go camping each year and go to some pretty rugged off the beaten path locations that if you are injured or lost, well... you are on your own. She's a compass, map, orienteering expert and myself... not so expert at all. Figured this would be a good tool when out. Secondly, it looks just plain awesome to me. So I just need to get it working and I will be a happy camper.

So which do you suggest I set, the baro or the alti?

I'd set the alti and forget the baro, as the baro is only really useful for trend purposes anyhow - the actual baro pressure numbers IMO are sort of irrelevant.
    That way you get correct alti readings and the baro trend will still be correct irrespective of whether the actual baro numbers themselves are spot on.
    In addition, it's always easier to set a correct alti measurement (from map contours for example or a way sign) as opposed to a baro measurement (as per MSL measurements according to nearest weather station that may be miles away and at a different elevation).
    Go alti and good luck!

Thank you Pelican

I have the alti set. Is it normal for the alti to change by 3-5 feet over night? Is this affected by the Baro pressure or the temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by supawabb View Post
    Thank you Pelican

I have the alti set. Is it normal for the alti to change by 3-5 feet over night? Is this affected by the Baro pressure or the temperature?
    Yes the altitude on ABC watches is determined by air pressure. If you remain static (Altitude) the WS4 will automatically lock the altimeter until the watch senses a variation in altitude. This helps keep the altimeter accurate as the weather is constantly changing, albeit on a very small level.

To see a change of 3-5 feet is very good for an ABC, as some marque`s altimeter`s will drift ten if not a hundred time more as the watch solely relies on the the local air pressure and has no was of differentiating between physical accent/decent and or a change in the localize weather while remaining at a static altitude.

Safe to say the WS4 is one of the more accurate ABC`s on the market, and it it one of the most informative, virtually being a portable weather station thanks to it`s comprehensive feature set and large display. I have two myself and the watch simply builds & builds respect over time. the only "fly in the ointment" as I see is when the time comes for the strap to give up, getting a replacement for some of us will be a big problem...

Then again think of a WS4 in a Ti case and I have business with the machine shop monday and yes the hangover was magnificent

Q-6

I think many of the complaints and bad reviews levelled at ABCs are due, to a large extent, to user error and a lack of understanding as to how they work (not pointed at you supawabb by the way!). They're also not infallible, but are pretty darned good for what they are if you know what you're doing and how to use them.

Anyhow, I hope that helps! Good luck![/QUOTE]
    Excellent observation.On the other hand there are products and systems that arent so good and disscutions /experience shared are very well .
    Last edited by dan67; August 25th, 2010 at 20:13.

Quote Originally Posted by dan67 View Post
    On the other hand there are products and systems that arent so good and disscutions /experience shared are very well .
    I totally agree - there are some really poor products out there and shared knowledge hopefully makes people aware of the potential pitfalls associated with them.
    The WS4 from what I gather though is a quality, precision product that offers excellent value for money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information