Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Back in the HEQ club with a Grand Seiko SBGX061 -- the perfect Rolex replacement

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Back in the HEQ club with a Grand Seiko SBGX061 -- the perfect Rolex replacement

Hi guys, I’m back in the “HEQ” club (sorry, I can’t quite get used to saying “HAQ”, even though I know it’s technically more accurate) with a newly acquired Grand Seiko SBGX061.

I owned an SBGX063 previously, and adored it. See my prior review of that watch here. But last winter, I was temporarily swayed by the “Call of Rolex”, sold the Grand Seiko, and almost immediately missed it. I enjoyed the Rolex, and then cycled through a couple other pieces in the interim. I then recently took a hard look at all the various watches I’ve owned along my WIS journey. I realized the GS quartz is just about the perfect watch for me. The watch offers a gracious look and classic design. Impeccable, exquisite quality & craftsmanship. A perfect, very wearable size. Ultimate accuracy. A 50-year rated service interval (fifty!). And an understated lack of pretentiousness. The GS quartz is a dignified, mature watch, with sheer gravitas and all-around superior watchmanship. I really enjoyed the champagne dialed SBGX063 last time, but wanted to try the black dial this time for a change of pace. And I’m glad to have it.

The watch is a joy to handle and to savor its fine details.

• This has got to be the deepest, blackest, inkiest black dial I’ve ever had the opportunity to sink into. Totally matte and velvety, it’s like a black hole – light goes in, and it just doesn’t come back out.

• Not only do I find the black dial more legible to read versus the champagne, I also find the black dial to be a little more sporty, and a little better matchup with casual clothes, while still working perfectly with business attire.

• The dial, dagger hands, and overall workmanship are 100% perfect and flawless – as expected.

• Examining the watch closely under magnification, the intricate machined grooves on the hour markers, and the combination beveled, polished, and brushed surfaces on those razor-sharp hands, are just incredible. It is amazing to me that these components are all hand made.

• And as good as Rolex workmanship is, their mass-produced watches just do not offer the amazing quality of the elaborate finishing on the hands and dial elements as the GS.

• It’s interesting to note that while the 063 had applied “SEIKO” and “GS” emblems, these instead are printed on the 061 dial, in an extremely precisely applied silver ink that works very well on the deep, deep black dial.

• I also really like the black date wheel, with white numerals, peeking out from the silver framed, beveled, date window.

Here’s a back-to-back comparison between the SBGX061 (black dial) and the SBGX063 (champagne). Photos courtesy Tanaka!

Comparing this watch to a Rolex is inevitable. Rolex is great; I love Rolex watches and have owned many different varieties, including a two-tone DateJust I have that was my dad’s that I’ll never sell. Rolex has undeniable integrity and heritage, durability, and performance over the long haul. And Seiko can certainly say the same on all those elements – it’s just that they do not have the same kind of brand cachet for the uninformed (non-watch-enthusiast). In fact, and unfortunately, I have found many instances when wearing a Rolex watch transmits the opposite message from that which I prefer. In contrast, the Grand Seiko fits into any environment comfortably and allows the wearer to enjoy the very finest quality watch, but without shouting it out to the rest of the world. I very much like that sort of encoded, stealthy, desirability.

Plus, for an everyday watch, I’m personally too much of an accuracy stickler to put up with a watch that’s off by 1 or 2 seconds per day. Rolexes can achieve that level of performance, which is very good for a mechanical watch, but for my daily wearer, I just prefer the exactness of perfect accuracy – and with a 10 second per year rating, you’re not gonna get any better than a Grand Seiko quartz, short of radio synchronization.

I’ve got a new every-day watch that I know will serve me very well. It’s great to be back.

Re: Back in the HEQ club with a Grand Seiko SBGX061 -- the perfect Rolex replacement

A beauty. Been ogling those for a while now.

Re: Back in the HEQ club with a Grand Seiko SBGX061 -- the perfect Rolex replacement

Absolutely beautiful! An incredible level of craftsmanship & detail that makes a simple, beautiful, understated, high quality watch. You are a lucky man.
    SEIKO - HELSON - PRECISTA - ARMIDA

Congrats on a truly stunning and amazing timepiece. It is so refreshing to see a subtly styled, elegant timepiece of reasonable proportions being made that offers such superb performance and is literally designed to last forever. This watch is the antithesis of the gaudy, gargantuan design that seems to be so trendy today. Kudos on your choice. My Rolexes are jealous.

I love simple, understated watches that don't scream out "HEY! HEY! LOOK AT ME!!!", and that GS is a beautiful example. It has the kind of beauty that doesn't drag your eyes to it, but once you see it, you can't look away. Congrats on the beautiful watch, and welcome back to Seikoland :)

Quote Originally Posted by MultiFinder View Post
    I love simple, understated watches that don't scream out "HEY! HEY! LOOK AT ME!!!", and that GS is a beautiful example. It has the kind of beauty that doesn't drag your eyes to it, but once you see it, you can't look away. Congrats on the beautiful watch, and welcome back to Seikoland :)
    I 100% agree
    It seems to me that while Rolex make some nice watches the company is now run by brand-managers and jewelers rather than watchmakers.
    Grand Seiko still put effort into beautiful mechanisms and horological innovation, Rolex have not made any significant innovation since the OysterQuartz
    serdal23 likes this.

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen!

I'm really enjoying the watch . . . it's exquisite.

Cheers,

Dave
    serdal23 likes this.

I was very surprised to read that you sold the 063 - your review was influential in me selecting exactly that watch as a memento of my wedding. I absolutely love it - just a perfect thing. I could actually be very happy with just it and say my MM300.

The black dial is very lovely also - certainly a little more casual/sporty. Either way congrats on a good purchase - keep this one !

Congrats on this beauty. It is everything you've written.

As a former owner of the 063 (cream dial), I can attest to the incredible craftsmanship in, and accuracy of, the GS. This HEQ GS is perhaps the first model I've sold and will replace -- likely permanently. You don't know what you've had until it's gone... but the experience of other watches thereafter was no regret! Lots of beauties have come and gone, but the HEQ GS will return eventually for good.

Best,
    Johnny

Life is short. How sad to have realized in your death bed that you've worn a crappy watch as a "daily beater" for most of your days.

Congratulations on your purchase.

I have been thinking of purchasing this same model for some very long time but still not yet able to finalize my decision.
    I suppose we may have something in common with regard to being a stickler to accuracy etc. The statement of 10 seconds per Years cannot be bettered is not quite right, The Citizen Chronomaster is rated at 5 Seconds per Year, one of the reasons as to why I am still in a dilemma.
    I have yet to find out the material for this Grand Seiko Quartz but I have read that the Citizen's Duratect is approximately four times harder than Seiko Bright Ti and this info was posted by a very well known Grand Seiko/Seiko advocate who also sells many Japanese Watches to the Western World.
    This has no lum and no perpetual calendar but it is less expensive than the Citizen CTQ57-0955. I am also considering the CTQ57-0952 with White Dial and Blue second hand in Duratect TI.

I already have a Rolex and have always considered it to be not worth it's retail value. Also the new Co-Axial escapement Chronometer from Omega would be a better choice if Rolex comes into the equation. This Co-Axial escapement is the future of mechanical watches, some people consider this new invention to be so good that one day it will replace the Swiss lever escapement

Some say that there's something which attract them to the Grand Seiko but they just don't know how to express this "something".
    Be assured that I am not trying to trash the OP, I would just like someone to convince me that this is the better choice so I can finally go and purchase some "Je ne sais quoi".
    Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offence.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information