My first SKX... with story, mini-review and pictures!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Mr. James Duffy
  • 1 Post By Mr. James Duffy
  • 1 Post By Tantler
  • 1 Post By musy

Thread: My first SKX... with story, mini-review and pictures!

My first SKX... with story, mini-review and pictures!

Well, I did it. I never thought it would happen. I purchased a Seiko SKX. A few terrible photos are below this wordy-ass story and mini-review:

I have to admit, I was not a fan of the Seiko SKX when I first started. I thought I had plenty of reasons to dislike it and I made a point of saying so in the F71 Confessions thread and when members solicited for recommendations.

Eventually I would come to like diver's watches but only those that were decidedly not like the Seiko SKX, Rolex Submariner and Omega Seamaster. My first diver was the SRP635 "Baby Tuna" and with its somewhat ridiculous shroud. (I also purchased a SRP443 "Orange Field Monster" but that is didn't count as a diver with no screw-down crown and virtually useless compass bezel.) My second diver is the SKZ279 "White Starfish" (aka "Shurikane"). It was not officially sold in the North American market and the design of the bezel and indicators were rather unique. If diver's watches were films, the White Starfish was the exciting yet over-the-top cheesy 80s action movie.

Meanwhile, the ubiquity of the SKX and the amount of praise it receives here and even amongst luxury watch YouTubers gave me pause. You see, I'm a watch hipster. I am also a rabid collector. I collect Transformers and Japanese robot toys. I collect Air Jordan sneakers. I collect first edition rare and antiquarian books. I place a great added value to limited editions, exclusives, region-specific or otherwise less-available items. I did not like Pepsi bezels (still, do not as of this post) and the SXK007's black bezel insert reminded me too much of the Submariner. Also, none of the other SKX models had the simple, pleasingly round indicators of the SKX007/009.

Then there was the size. I did not need another bulky diver conspicuously outside of long sleeve cuffs. Of course, the poor quality of the factory bracelet is well-documented and I sure as hell was not going to get one on a rubber strap. Rubber straps are for Swatches and Casios, I told myself. As a collector, I prefer original stock or at least brand-consistent OEM bracelets and straps.

Eventually, the I decided the 4-o'clock crown and dial layout differentiated it enough from other divers to consider the SXK007. I would have preferred black markers on a stainless steel crown (like on the Baby Tuna) but that was not an option, nor is modding. Still, I was not sold on the case shape and 42mm case diameter. What was I to do?

Then in a recent thread outlining all the different SKX models, I read that the SKX013 is smaller than the SKX007! How did I overlook this before?! In a late night scramble, fueled by my addiction to new watches and whiskey, I purchased a Seiko SKX013K2 from the UK and it is glorious.

Name:  SXK013K1_720x480_1.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  133.1 KB
    Name:  SXK013K1_720x480_3.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  134.2 KB

Yes, the stock jubilee bracelet rattles but then again, a lot of jubilee bracelets do that. I considered putting it on the SARB035 quasi-oyster-style bracelet but after wearing it it for a bit, I decided it was unnecessary. Besides, I want to keep it stock and with the safety clasp. As for the rattle, it is inaudible under long sleeves and no louder than the rotor on any of my Orient watches. Due to its weight and lateral flexibility, the bracelet can be worn tighter than most which also reduces the noise.

Because it is from the UK, it has and English with alternate Arabic alphabet day wheel. This scratches the itch for rarity, somewhat, if I can confirm that that the SKX013 is usually with Spanish as the alternate language on the day wheel. I miss the lumed meatball balance on the sweep hand of the more common, larger, SKXs but the lance hands are nice and makes me think a lady bug wearing a small suit of armor can joust with them.

It is the perfect size to not be redundant with my other diver's or any of my sub-40mm sport and dress watches. I give unofficial nicknames to all my watches, or sometimes insist on calling them something other than the official name, and my SKX013 will henceforth (sometimes) be referred to as the "Lady Diver," "SKX Jr." or simply "Junior."

I am happy to finally join Team Corndog.

(More photos might be added. No promises.)
    Last edited by Mr. James Duffy; September 7th, 2016 at 09:09. Reason: more cowbell
    Pebling and fish70 like this.

Re: My first SKX... with story, mini-review and pictures!

By the way, my wrist is 6.75 inches around (a little over 17mm). I should take more photos that isn't another wrist shot at a different time of day, huh?

More terrible photos...

Wilfred86 likes this.

Team Corndog. Love it. Team all the way!!!!!!
    Mr. James Duffy likes this.

Great read!
    Mr. James Duffy likes this.

Hah, another skx convert. I just ordered the same watch on rubber.

It is perfect ;).

Can't wait to get my first one.

Nice! I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Excellent review, spot on.

Thread Information