Seiko Domestic SARB021 (my first ever automatic watch!)
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Spyhunter
  • 1 Post By Temperarely
  • 1 Post By Temperarely

Thread: Seiko Domestic SARB021 (my first ever automatic watch!)

Seiko Domestic SARB021 (my first ever automatic watch!)

Dear fellow watch lovers!

First of all: if my English is lacking please forgive me I'm from the Netherlands and wished our high school English class would actually meant something of value.
    Second: This is my first ever post on a watch forum!
    Third: This is my first Automatic watch!

Not even is this the first auto it's also the first seiko I have ever owned. For years I have known that Seiko is one of the better quality brand out there. But somehow and please forgive me I never actually bought one. As I have only a few years left in college (lets hope so) I decided its time for me to grow up and buy an actual real watch instead of the many designer brands quartz watches.

So I bought my first automatic and not only this I ordered a domestic japanese model from Chino Watch Japan the SARB021.

Name:  IMG_2545.JPG
Views: 31404
Size:  2.00 MB

Facts:

Movement: 6R15 23J Automatic (with Hand winding and Hack function)
    Accuracy: +25/-15 sec/day (according to seiko) ( I saw on the web that some experienced 3 sec!, I don't no how you guys test this?)
    Power reserve: 50 Hour
    10 ATM water resistance

Case Diameter: 38.5mm
    Thickness: 11.8mm
    Crystal: Sapphire
    See-through back: Hardlex (Seiko)

Opinion:

First thing I noticed was: Wow this watch shines!
    The saphire glass on the watch is realy shiny so are the kitkat choclate like hour markers on the dial.
    But its just right, not to much in my opinion.
    The dial is well balanced and even with the shinyness its still simple and elegant, dressy jet a thick casual.

Name:  IMG_2516.JPG
Views: 22646
Size:  1.85 MB

I never owned a watch of this price before but once I held it in my hand (after a long awaited fedex delivery) it felt well build and solid.

i actually have nothing more to say at this time then just wow! This watch is great!
    Also this review just says it all, It made me buy the watch;)
    http://jikanwatch.blogspot.com/2011/02/review-of-seiko-sarb021.html

But to give some input I will post my own pictures here. Please share yours and add something to this attempt to review;).
    Name:  IMG_2512.JPG
Views: 13810
Size:  1.72 MB

Name:  IMG_2538.JPG
Views: 16071
    Last edited by Spyhunter; August 18th, 2011 at 23:55.
    Temperarely and hot rod al like this.

Re: Seiko Domestic SARB021 (my first ever automatic watch!)

Hey, excellent review. That's a great looking watch with a fantastic movement. You should be getting very good accuracy with that movement. Well within 10 seconds a day. I absolutely love that second hand and the signed crown. Very classy watch, it should be a great introduction to Seiko. This watch would be nice with a suit. I haven't seen this watch before but it looks like you picked a good one! Also, your English is better than a lot of the high school graduates here in the US.

@Shagrath: thanks I can see a few mistakes in the text myself now;)

@moderator: I just saw that there already was a review of the sarb021: Seiko SARB021 review
    Sorry about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyhunter View Post

Dear fellow watch lovers!

First of all: if my English is lacking please forgive me I'm from the Netherlands and wished our high school English class would actually meant something of value.
    Second: This is my first ever post on a watch forum!
    Third: This is my first Automatic watch!

Not even is this the first auto it's also the first seiko I have ever owned. For years I have known that Seiko is one of the better quality brand out there. But somehow and please forgive me I never actually bought one. As I have only a few years left in college (lets hope so) I decided its time for me to grow up and buy an actual real watch instead of the many designer brands quartz watches.

So I bought my first automatic and not only this I ordered a domestic japanese model from Chino Watch Japan the SARB021.

Name:  IMG_2545.JPG
Views: 31404
Size:  2.00 MB

Facts:

Movement: 6R15 23J Automatic (with Hand winding and Hack function)
    Accuracy: +25/-15 sec/day (according to seiko) ( I saw on the web that some experienced 3 sec!, I don't no how you guys test this?)
    Power reserve: 50 Hour
    10 ATM water resistance

Case Diameter: 38.5mm
    Thickness: 11.8mm
    Crystal: Sapphire
    See-through back: Hardlex (Seiko)

Opinion:

First thing I noticed was: Wow this watch shines!
    The saphire glass on the watch is realy shiny so are the kitkat choclate like hour markers on the dial.
    But its just right, not to much in my opinion.
    The dial is well balanced and even with the shinyness its still simple and elegant, dressy jet a thick casual.

Name:  IMG_2516.JPG
Views: 22646

I never owned a watch of this price before but once I held it in my hand (after a long awaited fedex delivery) it felt well build and solid.

i actually have nothing more to say at this time then just wow! This watch is great!
    Also this review just says it all, It made me buy the watch;)
    http://jikanwatch.blogspot.com/2011/02/review-of-seiko-sarb021.html

But to give some input I will post my own pictures here. Please share yours and add something to this attempt to review;).
    Name:  IMG_2512.JPG
Views: 13810
Size:  1.72 MB

Name:  IMG_2538.JPG
Views: 16071
    Hi,

Congrets on your fine watch.And welcome offcourse.

Thanks for the review of the SARB021. I am looking for an other "dressy" like watch. Bought a Sarb065 [silver dial] a few months ago and I totaly fell in love again with Seiko.
    I was thinking about a black dial this time. The SARB033 and SARB071 were a few of the players I was drawn to. Reading through the reviews I also came across your review of the 021. When I saw the pictures I knew that the 021 would be my next. So, thanks.

How is your 021 holding up in the real life? Any complains?

Cheers,
    Elf
    steve_ostin likes this.
    Hey man , watch the road man , WATCH the road !!!

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Temperarely View Post
    Hi,

Congrets on your fine watch.And welcome offcourse.

Thanks for the review of the SARB021. I am looking for an other "dressy" like watch. Bought a Sarb065 [silver dial] a few months ago and I totaly fell in love again with Seiko.
    I was thinking about a black dial this time. The SARB033 and SARB071 were a few of the players I was drawn to. Reading through the reviews I also came across your review of the 021. When I saw the pictures I knew that the 021 would be my next. So, thanks.

How is your 021 holding up in the real life? Any complains?

Cheers,
    Elf
    Hey Elf thanks for your reply.
    The reason I went with the 21 is because the dressy look indeed.
    The hour markers on the dial are very shiny but not to much cheaplike shiny.

The only complaints I have is that when the watch is not worn for a day it gets slower.
    I just put it in the winder today after not wearing it for a day and noticed a 20 minute delay!
    As I'm new to the whole mechanical scene I don't now if this is normal or not.
    It could be the result of the shocks the movement got when I tried to adjust the bracelet but just could'nt get the pins out.
    Stupid, stupid, stupid me.
    I sure not hope so. It should keep up and not be slower because of the 50 hours power reserve.

I would say go for it!

(hee ik zie dat je ook uit Nederland komt..haaha)

Hi,

Quote Spyhunter;

Hey Elf thanks for your reply.
    The reason I went with the 21 is because the dressy look indeed.
    The hour markers on the dial are very shiny but not to much cheaplike shiny.

The only complaints I have is that when the watch is not worn for a day it gets slower.
    I just put it in the winder today after not wearing it for a day and noticed a 20 minute delay!
    As I'm new to the whole mechanical scene I don't now if this is normal or not.
    It could be the result of the shocks the movement got when I tried to adjust the bracelet but just could'nt get the pins out.
    Stupid, stupid, stupid me.
    I sure not hope so. It should keep up and not be slower because of the 50 hours power reserve.

I would say go for it!

(hee ik zie dat je ook uit Nederland komt..haaha)

Yes Dutch also, can't help it. We have our own {Dutch..corner here at WUS. Follow the link in my signature , but I think you already found it ,I guess.

About the delay; When the main watchspring is almost on it's end it can/will slow down before it stops , but 20 minutes is a lot. To keep the spring fully loaded can be difficult. A lot depends on what your daily routine is. For example , a deskjob with not much movement of the arms could be a problem to keep the spring fully loaded.
    With what did you adjust the bracelet ,a sledgehammer? Without kidding ,was it that hard to remove the pin from the bracelet?

Elf.

Hidden Content

Hi,

About the delay; When the main watchspring is almost on it's end it can/will slow down before it stops , but 20 minutes is a lot. To keep the spring fully loaded can be difficult. A lot depends on what your daily routine is. For example , a deskjob with not much movement of the arms could be a problem to keep the spring fully loaded.
    With what did you adjust the bracelet ,a sledgehammer? Without kidding ,was it that hard to remove the pin from the bracelet?

Elf.
    Hi Elf,

It was stuck in the bracelet and could not get any movement in the pin.
    Used a small hammer but it needed some force.
    If I did harm the movement will I be able to see something through the seetrough back
    I dont have any delay when the watch is winded every day, so it still keeps up just normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyhunter View Post
    Hi Elf,

It was stuck in the bracelet and could not get any movement in the pin.
    Used a small hammer but it needed some force.
    If I did harm the movement will I be able to see something through the seetrough back
    I dont have any delay when the watch is winded every day, so it still keeps up just normal.

Mmmm,ok. A lot of people use the hamer way.

If you see small partikels/chips of anykind behind the crystal one knows that it is serious s..t. But I don't think that's the case. If it keeps time right when fully wound there is no reason to be troubled.

Elf.
    Spyhunter likes this.

Hidden Content

Mmmm,ok. A lot of people use the hamer way.

If you see small partikels/chips of anykind behind the crystal one knows that it is serious s..t. But I don't think that's the case. If it keeps time right when fully wound there is no reason to be troubled.

Elf.
    Nopes everything looks just fine..even compared it with fotos on the web. I must admit that in the days before I haven't worn it very long each day. So pherhaps I'm stressing out for nothing.
    Thanks Elf you just made my day a lot better!

Hi, thats a nice model that, i jus recently bought my First Automatic Seiko i got the SSA081J1 model, much better movement than my previous automatic, i like the Hacking feature, aswell the case, the bracelet all feels very good quality, i dont know about you but i definetly prefer the Pin & Coller links aswell.

Gear in this thread

Thread Information