Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seiko SNZF45K 'Mini' Monster Review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Seiko SNZF45K 'Mini' Monster Review

Some of you may remember my initial post on deciding on my first Japanese watch purchase here Torn between 3 lovers...

In the end, I went with neither of my 3 original choices and settled on the new so-called "Mini" Monster with the white face. I was offered an irresistible price by a local AD and after visiting the same store several times, finally gave in and purchased it yesterday. So here's my first attempt at a quick review to be followed by photos at a later stage...

Case: Solid, well-finished case with brushed and polished surfaces. Dimensions can be found all over the 'Net but I do feel that calling it a "Mini" Monster is a bit of a misnomer since it feels larger on the wrist, well, at least to me, than the actual Monster. So for the purpose of this review, I'll stick to calling it a Neo Monster. It wears well even on my tiny wrist although the height of the watch may make it difficult to wear with tight long sleeves.

Bezel: Counter-clockwise, 120 clicks, smooth and sturdy. The numerals are painted on, no lume pip at the 12 o'clock position. I do prefer the look of this bezel over the Monster's but the Monster's scalloped bezel does make it significantly easier to grip. A bit of a shame about the lack of lume pip but this is not an ISO-certified diver anyway.

Dial and crystal: Seiko's Hardlex crystal, flat, not domed like the Monster. Love the overall look of the dial but I did notice that the colour of the lume for the hour, minute and second hands appear to be more of a cream colour incomparison to the greenish-blue white of the hour indices.

Bracelet: Nice solid stainless steel bracelet using split-pin links. Slightly noisy around the clasp area. Styling is similar to the Monster.

Crown: Unsigned and does not screw down. All my other watches have screw-down crowns so I'm a little apprehensive on water-resistance.

Movement: The mass-produced 23-jewels 7S36B. So far so good but I do not really care if the watch is off by 5 or 25 seconds per day.

Lume: Dare I say it? Almost as good, if not as good as the Monster. The colour is slightly different to my eyes as the Monster's is a blue-green or intense green colour while the Neo Monster's is a whitish, light green. Still long-lasting and intense....I still get a kick out of it whenever I enter someplace dark.

Price: Around USD115. The prices here have gone up but not all the stores are using the new pricing so lucky me!

All in all, I'm very satisfied with my first Seiko....now all I need is a nice leather band to go with it...hahaha!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Isthmus; July 29th, 2009 at 18:35. Reason: Canned Pictures Added by Moderator For Illustration Purposes

Re: Seiko SNZF45K Neo or 'Mini' Monster - a quick and dirty review

I have the monsters, both black and orange and really enjoy them. I bought the white (monster lite?) just cuz I had nothing with a white face and have been impressed with it ever since (purchased last fall) It is very similar to the real monsters in size shape bracelet weight etc. I liked it so much that I bought the black version also..some folks don't find the appeal..but thats the beauty of this hobby, you like it you buy it, you don't you don't, very simple..value, personal preference,style, etc etc is very subjective. Enjoy your seiko!!
    Last edited by Isthmus; July 29th, 2009 at 18:34.

Thanks for your review and I think you made a great choice. That really is a sharp looking watch and your pictures do it justice. Good review and congrats on a good looking watch!
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

Looks great!

By the way, the photos above aren't mine. I'll be putting some up as soon as I find my camera...

Re: Seiko SNZF45K 'Mini' Monster Review

nice review !

I have the orange one, but I'm thinking about buying the white one too ...don't think the wife would be thrilled though ..
    Rudy

Great review!!

In fact, this timepiece will be in my must buy list.

Thanks to you for this informative review.

Great review,

IMHO the lume on this watch beats the OM. I have placed them side by side and it really is better.

As for aftermarket bracelet options, I find it difficult to use thick bands or bracelets, even a Zulu can be difficult to install and tends to bend the springbars. I think the holes placed too close to the case. Or this might just be me.

Has anyone had the same problem as I have?
    n_wildgirl likes this.

I think the proximity of the springbars to the case is a bit of a problem. The watch looks really good with a thick leather strap but if it's too thick, then it's an no-go.

As for the lume, it's good but is not as bright initially in comparison to my Monster. The Monster appears to have more lume applied on its indices. However, the white Mini-Mon (which is a bit of a misnomer since it's as big if not slightly bigger than its 200m sibling) looks dressier.

I've just had my orange "mini" serviced last week. There was a bit of condensation(a film, no droplets) on the inner surface of the glass and it was running 5-10mins fast per day. I don't know if it was the moisture that was causing it to run fast or if my kids had accidentally knocked my watch of the nightstand without telling me. In any case, 2 days with the AD and its now good as new. Keeping +/- 1 second on the 'graph and a little more/less on the wrist as well.

Though this watch is rated for 100m, I dont think i'll go swimming with it again. I'll reserve that honor for my 200m divers with the screw down crowns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information