Citizen Aquamount Review

Thread: Citizen Aquamount Review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Citizen Aquamount Review

I just received this Citizen Aquamount on Monday (9/8/08) and really love it. I looked at it from time to time online but the price was usually north of $500 which kept me from going for it. After another watch purchase did not work out, I went searching again for watches on my wish list and found the Ti Aquamount on eBay for a reasonable price. After a week, here are my impressions.

- Brand - Citizen

- Model number - JP3050-55W

- Official or unofficial Nickname (if any exists) - Aquamount

- Overview:

A 200 meter titanium cased quartz divers' watch with depth, altitude and temperature sensors. I first saw the Aquamount mentioned (I believe) on the Digital/ABC forum, as the module includes altitude and barometric pressure measurement. Over the years I have become more involved with the Boy Scouts of America and have valued divers' watches for their tough construction. When hiking, camping and swimming I don't need to worry about my watch, I need to make sure the boys are safe and having a good time while learning outdoor and leadership skills. I have used automatic divers from Seiko, Citizen and other Swiss brands while at camp and other outings with the Scouts, and wished that I had more "tools" available to me on my wrist. I always had a clip on watchband compass, but thought it would be good to have some way to monitor weather conditions as well. My first foray into ABC watches was through a Suunto Vector, a watch I like very much, but its' water resistance made me a bit leary, as if I had to dive into a fast running stream, lake or pool in an emergency it could be ruined. The search for a dive watch with additional functions led me to the Aquamount.

- movement information/review:

Citizen Caliber C900 quartz. Three hand movement plus 2 LCD display windows for additional functions. Digital functions include dive depth, dive time, dive alarms, dive logs, split second chronograph, temperature, altitude and barometric pressure measurement and logging.

- Case review:

Solid titanium screw back case, screw down crown at 4:00, pushers at 2:00, 8:00, 10:00, rotating dive bezel.

- crystal review - Mineral glass

- bracelet/strap review (including clasp):

Solid titanium bracelet links and end links. Bracelet includes divers' extention, push button lock and safety flip lock.

- bezel review (if it has a rotating bezel):

Titanium colored 60 click rotating divers' bezel with lumed dot. Bezel lines up perfectly.

- review of any special features or additional complications (such as power reserve indicators, chronograph functions, moon phase, etc.):

Where to start! As mentioned, this diver includes many extra features within its' two LCD displays, including digital time (12 or 24 hr mode, minutes, seconds, day and date), dive time, dive depth, water temperature, dive time alarm, dive depth alarm, rapid ascent alarm, logging of 6 dives, surface time between dives, split second chronograph, altitude, barometric pressure and temperature measurement and logging, barometric pressure trending.

- closing opinions and recommendations:

For starters, be ready to read the manual! At 93 pages, it compares in complexity to Suunto and Casio ABC watches. It is not an intuitive watch, but once you learn the interaction of the 3 pushers it isn't hard to remember them. All measurement units are SI, you can't switch to Imperial measurement so if you are used to meters instead of feet, Hecto Pascals instead of inches of mercury and degrees Celcius instead of Farenheit you are set. Otherwise you will need to convert in your head. As I am comfortable with SI units it doesn't bother me though I prefer Imperial units. Since this watch wasn't marketed to the U.S. I am not surprised that both sets of units are not included. I also understand that it is a discontinued model, so it may not be easy to find though I have seen a few on auction sites and some Internet retailers. There are 2 other models of the Aquamount that I know of, including a titanium model with gold accented bezel released before the one under review, and a stainless steel/black dial version as well.

Impressions: I love it! First it is a Citizen, by far a company most represented in my watch boxes and pretty much my personal favorite. I have wanted this watch for awhile and was thrilled to find a new one in my price range. The titanium construction keeps this beast of a watch light and comfortable on my wrist. I haven't measured the size but I estimate it is at least 44mm, maybe 48mm from sensor to sensor.

I have other Citizen titanium watches, and none of them have a mark or scratch on them unlike titanium watches I own from other manufacturers. I expect the same from the Aquamount.

Lume is Citizen's trademark cool blue, though the minute hand lume is bright green. The hour hand is very short, outlined in white, while the minute hand is a skeletinized yellow, the cutout aligned with the LCD displays so the hands don't obscure the additional digital information. The second hand is a fluorescent orange with lumed dot. The Arabic numerals and markers on the dial are raised a bit, giving the charcoal grey dial a nice 3 dimensional quality. All the markers are uniformly coated in lume, and both the blue and green lume last substantially through the night.

One thing other than price that kept me from purchasing when I first saw this watch is the reported 2 year battery life, and the requirement that battery changes are performed by Citizen. It will be a pain, but I will dutifully sent it to Citizen service when it comes time.

In my humble opinion, if you are looking for a tough, comfortable to wear quartz dive watch with lots of extra features short of a dive computer, you would be hard pressed to get a nicer watch. Plus it is just darn cool.
    The Aquamount joins my 20th Anniversary Aqualand, Orca, Ti EcoZilla and Seiko Tuna in my big quartz divers' watch box.

Cheers,
    Griff
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OldHippie1968; September 15th, 2009 at 23:37. Reason: Attached thumbnails

Re: Citizen Aquamount Review

Hi Zippofan,

I enjoyed your review. I would be most interested to know how well the other functions (barometer, thermometer, altitude etc.) work. e.g. are they accurate - that type of thing.

thanks a lot,

Joe

Dive Watches Mod & MaL OnTimeGabe's Avatar

Thanks for taking the time to put that review together, Griff! I really like the clean look of that Aquamount.
    Regards,

Gabe

Quote Originally Posted by danijoe View Post
    Hi Zippofan,

I enjoyed your review. I would be most interested to know how well the other functions (barometer, thermometer, altitude etc.) work. e.g. are they accurate - that type of thing.

thanks a lot,

Joe
    That's a good question Joe, and I have been observing it through the week. So far I have not found a baro/altimeter as accurate as my Suunto Core, though the Nike Alti-Compass is close. The trouble with any alti/baro function is that it measures absolute air pressure. Because of that, any barometric pressure change will affect the altitude reading. Suunto and Nike have some type of algorithm that correct for this, and the Suunto Core converts absolute pressure to sea-level pressure as per the reference altitude. That said, as long as the weather pattern is steady, the altimeter on the Aquamount is quite accurate according to my topo maps of our area. Also, the Aquamount doesn't let you adjust the barometer to read sea level pressure, so the reading at any given time has to be corrected for your current altitude. But, as we have discussed many times over on the Digital/ABC forum, the barometric trend is more important than the actual reading. The Aquamount displays an arrow in the upper LCD during timekeeping that indicates pressure change, which is pretty handy as you don't have to switch to the baro function to see it.

So far, I would compare the Aquamount's baro/altitude measurements on par with Casio's Pathfinders (I have the PAW-1500).

I have been told by other forum members that the Aquamount's depth meter is extremely accurate, even when compared to a dedicated dive computer. Since I haven't gone diving since college (though I have been planning to rectify that!), I can't say based on personal experience.

For the price I paid (~$400), I think it is a great watch

Thanks,
    Griff

Thanks for sharing a review Even if I probably never would end up buying this model is still fun to read about a real "tooldiver". And this watch seems to have a lot of cool and hopefully to the user many necessary features.

Hi Zippofan,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been considering this model watch for some time but the price has always been the stopper. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good used one on the forums.

Joe

Great Review.
    Some of the Inventory :
    Rolex DateJust I - WG & MOP
    Chronographe Suisse 18Kct Chronograph
    Omega Seamaster Bond SMP LTD
    Omega Seamaster 200M Pre-Bond
    Heuer Black/Luminous Dial 200M Quartz
    Omega Speedmaster 3577.50 Moon to Mars
    Omega 3510.50 Speedmaster

Moderator GShock/HAMILTON DougFNJ's Avatar

Great review Zip, excellent coverage on the full rundown on the model. Keep up the great work
    G-Shock DW-5030C
    G-Shock DW-5600C
    G-Shock GW-5000
    G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock GX56-1A King
    G-Shock GW-7900B-1
    G-Shock GW-9400-1CR
    G-Shock MRG-8100B-1JF
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Doxa 1200T Professional
    Movado SE 2 Tone

Omega SMP Qtz 2221.80.00
    Seiko Darth Tuna SBBN013
    Seiko Shogun SBDC007
    Seiko SKA625
    Seiko Velatura SNAA93
    Seiko V701
    Tag Heuer Auto Chrono Link CAT2010.BA0952
    Tissot Couturier T035.410.11.051.00

Check out my video reviews at: www.youtube.com/dougfnj
    Twitter: @DougFNJ

Thanks guys!
    Doug, I grabbed a GW-9200 after I saw your YouTube review
    Maybe I should hijack my kids' YouTube account to do watch reviews!

Cheers,
    Griff

Moderator GShock/HAMILTON DougFNJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zippofan View Post
    Thanks guys!
    Doug, I grabbed a GW-9200 after I saw your YouTube review
    Maybe I should hijack my kids' YouTube account to do watch reviews!

Cheers,
    Griff
    Thanks Griff, I have a good time doing them, I'm sure you will too Someone once commented the great thing about them is it adds a 3rd dimensional element to the review.....
    G-Shock DW-5030C
    G-Shock DW-5600C
    G-Shock GW-5000
    G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock GX56-1A King
    G-Shock GW-7900B-1
    G-Shock GW-9400-1CR
    G-Shock MRG-8100B-1JF
    Citizen ATO810-55X
    Doxa 1200T Professional
    Movado SE 2 Tone

Omega SMP Qtz 2221.80.00