WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Citizen AT4010-50E Review

174K views 240 replies 91 participants last post by  fredrick 
#1 ·
I posted this review in the Main Reviews Forum and thought that it may be helpful here in the Citizen Watch Reviews area as well.

After owning the Citizen AT4010-50E watch for a short time, I have decided to post some pictures and add this casual review. This review may help someone decide on whether or not to buy this watch. I am not a collector or any type of expert but just a lover of watches. I am retired from the Engineering field and wanted to upgrade my daily wear watch (my previous watch of 30 years was an Oris chrono automatic). My choice for a new watch was the Citizen AT4010-50E and I am super pleased with my decision to own this watch.

I ordered this watch and received it in quick order from Princeton Watches on-line for $524. Princeton is an authorized Citizen Watch dealer so it came with a 5 year warranty. The watch came enclosed in a case with a user booklet and instruction CD. This watch is gorgeous!! The titanium case and bracelet are very lightweight and a joy to wear. It would be a shame to replace the comfortable and handsome bracelet with any aftermarket strap! The brushed titanuim is beautiful with the polished ss inserts. The first night that I received the watch, I placed the watch on my bedroom counter to recieve its nightly 2am radio signal from Denver. In the morning I checked the signal strength and it completed with a HIGH signal. After checking the on-line atomic time with my watch, I could not help but giggle as the watch was set to the correct time to the second! The high tech nature of this watch will appeal to anyone that wants a sporty looking watch that never needs to be adjusted or batteries added! The time, date, and power supply of this watch and pretty much hands off once you have it set. All you need is a little light to keep things going! The chrono is really nice and I will use this from time to time. A daily reminder alarm can be activated and I actually use this as a get out of bed reminder for my daily farm chores (collect eggs and feed the goats). I doubt that I will use the Tacymeter but it is nice to have and gives the watch a bit of a sporty look. Overall I am loving this watch!! Absolutely perfect for my needs. I love looking at this watch daily!! Below are some brief specs for the watch and pictures that I have taken. Feel free to PM me if you need any specific measurements or have questions. See you around on WUS. Fredrick

• Atomic timekeeping in five different zones
  • Citizen Eco-Drive solar powered technology
  • Perpetual calendar
  • 1 Second chronograph measures up to 60 minutes
  • Alarm
  • Day and Date
  • Power reserve indicator
  • Non-reflective sapphire glass crystal
  • Water resistant to 200 meters (660 feet)
  • Tachymeter
  • Titanium case and bracelet
  • Bracelet features a hidden double push button release clasp
  • 42mm case width (approximately 1 5/8 inches)

My wrist is fairly smallish at 6 1/2" to 6 3/4". The 42mm case is a perfect size in my opinion.

The Watch has great lume. The lume shot is an 8 second shot in mostly darkened room.

See less See more
#3 ·
Rorry,
this watch has a chronograph or timer that can be used as a stopwatch to time events up to 60 minutes to the nearest second. If you need sub second accuracy then you want a chronometer. You will pay much more for the accuracy of a chronometer.
regards, fredrick

#4 ·
I have a Citizen watch very similar to this one and with the same dial layout. The chronometer (in my watch) IS a true chronometer but it displays the 1/10th seconds only when you stop the chrono. The same subdial at 2 o'clock shows the minutes elapsed but if you press a button then she hand quickly moves to the 1/10 seconds position; if you release the button, the hand moves again to the minutes position.

A big complaint I have to move to this watch is that it has great functions and probably all the ones you need but they are difficult to be accessed. Another issue is that the hours hand is driven by the minutes hand so when you change function (for example second timezone) you have to wait a lot until the hands position to the right time. This is a little boring to me, therefore I use the secondary function very seldom and I leave the watch in "time" mode (display of the main time).

#5 ·
Great review I have the same watch, and bought it in August. Liked it so much I bought the SS version with black silicon band (AT4008-01E) also... They are great watches and people do notice them :) I do agree that it is a bit of a pain to start the chronograph. Except for that they are excellent watches!!

#6 ·
Congrats and thank you for the extensive review and high quality pics. This is imo the most beautiful watch that Citizen has made so far. I have owned a Skyhawk Titanium, so I know how exceptional the quality is that Citizen produces. This watch is stunning. And it seems like it wears very well on the wrist. Beautiful finish on the bracelet with the polished highlights and wonderful cool blue accents on the dial and buttons. And the blue lume...gorgeous! I am very tempted to get me one, however it doesn't seem available (yet) in Europe.

Anyway...thanks again for the informative review.

Btw I'd be interested to know the weight of the watch.

The only question mark still remains for me is how to set the watch up for Paris timezone *and* have it do atomic sync (A-TM : no sync). I found some info on WUS already...set timezone to London and manually set hour hand +1 hour. That way the watch should also do atomic sync. Still not convinced this will work 100%...as in keep perfect timing, and with DST switch twice a year.

#7 ·
Anyway...thanks again for the informative review.

Btw I'd be interested to know the weight of the watch.

The only question mark still remains for me is how to set the watch up for Paris timezone *and* have it do atomic sync (A-TM : no sync). I found some info on WUS already...set timezone to London and manually set hour hand +1 hour. That way the watch should also do atomic sync. Still not convinced this will work 100%...as in keep perfect timing, and with DST switch twice a year.
You are very welcome!

I don't know the weight of the watch but the titanium has advantages over the stainless steel. Titanium is extremely resistant to saltwater and other forms of erosion.... it is hypo allergenic... it is a poor heat conductor so it has a great feel in cold or hot weather... it is roughly twice as strong as steel and about 1/2 the weight. Citizen has some models made of Super Titanium which are five times stronger than steel (basically titanium with an ion plating coating). I love the look of the brushed titanium of the case and bracelet along the various polished accents! The watch and bracelet have maintained a perfect finish after several months of wear.

Some people have mentioned that they like the extra weight of SS but I prefer the light weight of Titanium (the watch stays firmly in place on the wrist) as well as the benefits mentioned above.

The shipping weight of the titanium version (box, manuals, packaging, etc...) is 181g
The shipping weight of the SS version (box, manuals, packaging, etc...) is 431 g

Sorry that your location is outside of one of the 5 time zones. I just know that this watch will not radio sync in the AT-M mode. In the not too distant future, many models (Citizen has just one model right now) will have GPS capability that will allow your watch to sync with atomic time anywhere on the planet! Gotta love technology. fredrick

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks again for the helpful reply.

I know the differences of Ti vs SS, as I have owned both. I particularly like the smooth feel of Ti on the skin, the darker grey (brushed Ti) look, and of course the much better weight. My old Skyhawk SS weighed in at 185-190 grams! While the Ti version tipped the scale at a mere 125 grams. That's a massive difference on the wrist, especially when a watch doen't have micro-adjustment on the clasp and consiquently when it's too loose on the arm, the watch will slip constantly...which was very annoying to me. With the Ti version I did not have that problem, it was a "perfect" fit. Therefore I'm sticking to Ti, or a SS version that has micro-adjustment on the clasp. A perfect fit doesn't exist really, as a wrist will expand or get more loose during the day depending on my activities.

The only drawback, as you mentioned as well, is that some Ti can scratch more easily than SS. The Ion plated or Super Ti is much much better, basically scratch-proof, but often also much more expensive.

GPS in a watch...well so far only the Seiko Astron and Citizen Appleseed, which are both very expensive...not to mention both imo not very attractive...I find the Appleseed damnright ugly. No, radio-transmitter works just fine imo for now. It has never failed me, as I live in Europe (as opposed to Australia for example where radio signal often doesn't work apparently).

I will try and keep my (limited) wallet closed for now, and hopefully find a definitive answer on the atomic-sync issue. Then hopefully I'll be able to get the watch from an European seller. Otherwise import duties and taxes will definately make the watch out of my price range...

#9 ·
Thanks again for the helpful reply.

I will try and keep my (limited) wallet closed for now, and hopefully find a definitive answer on the atomic-sync issue. Then hopefully I'll be able to get the watch from an European seller. Otherwise import duties and taxes will definately make the watch out of my price range...
No problem... I am also particular with having a nearly "perfect fit" on the wrist. I seem to have got lucky with the sizing for this watch. After removing a few of the links, the bracelet has an ideal fit for me! I am a huge fan of the titanium. This watch may be in the 90 to 100g weight area but I am not real sure. It is great that you have a Skyhawk watch as well. Those are really great watches and I would own one if I were still flying (I flew Piper Cherokee single prop planes years ago but I don't fly anymore..... I am retired).

Good luck and I hope that Citizen expands there atomic models to allow syncing in more time zones. I agree with you on the Appleseed.... They need several years to refine the technology and designs. Fredrick

#12 · (Edited)
View attachment 855106

Wow...look at these cuteys! What a great pic, made my day :-!

Cheers, my thoughts exactly regarding the wonderful set&forget indestructible watches of Casio. My Mudman doesn't have atomic sync and although the watch is a beast, I do miss that function. Therefore my go-to watch is currently the GW4000 Aviator. The Skyhawk was awesome, but the face was rather cluttered I found personally. Your new addition is very clean looking and I like that. And as you say, the combo of solar + atomic sync + perpetual calendar is just perfect in a watch. Anyways...enough food for thought. Take care and enjoy your Citizen!

#13 ·
Its a beautiful piece of technology, has me thinking ...

#14 ·
Nicely done. I have the stainless version. Great watch in either metal!

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

#16 ·
I have a question about the at4010-50e. It doesn't have the screw down crown so how does it seal to waterproof itself. When it's in the zero position I don't feel it lock down by turning it in either direction. I have a citizen calibre 2100 and it screws down to lock the crown and was just worried about getting the at4010-50e wet.

#17 ·
It's rated to 200m, so I wouldn't worry about the actual mechanism Citizen uses to seal the crown against water infiltration. (But it would be interesting to know what they did.)

Frankly, if it was a screw-down crown, the mechanism itself is a weak point, because it's very common for crowns to cross-thread or stem tubes to break (having had the latter happen three times on two different watches, I was relieved that Citizen chose a different sealing method on this watch).

#18 ·
Aaron,

I believe that they use gaskets for the water tight seal. I would recommend a watch with a screw down crown if you plan to dive or swim with it on. Diver watches typically have screw downs and also no pushers. Brand new your gaskets should be fine but after several years the seal could be compromised. You could have it pressure tested and the seals replaced periodically but it makes more sense to not dive with a non diver watch. Regards, Fredrick

#20 · (Edited)
Actually I could probably answer this.. I got the exact same watch in early August 2012. So I have had mine now for 5 months.

It is my daily wear watch and I have to say it is holding up very well. I think this titanium must be duratect coated or something as there a very few scratches on it. Also the bezel and actual watch has 0 marks on it.

The clasp area only has three scratches and they appear to be fading over time. This is pretty much true of any scratch I have on the band. The band does not scratch much at all, but the ones I do get appear to fade over time.

The only item that seems to scratch easily are the chrome looking accents on the band

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#25 · (Edited)
Hello Alist. That is very nice looking watch..it looks like they slightly changed the face from the AT4010/AT4008 series

Congratulations! However from the picture it looks like a Stainless Steel watch. The reason I thought so is that it is a bit shiny.. It seems to be a new version of the AT4008 (the AT4008, which is the SS version of the AT4010 also has the red markings on the face)

Also I checked Citizen HK website and it is listed as SS.

http://www.citizen.com.hk/?content=895&category_id=124&product_id=1186

The Titanium watches and band are more of a matt grey color, and the face has the blue markings.

It is a very nice watch and you should be proud of it!!!. Just be aware that it is not titanium.

#26 ·
Hi Shan,

Yes even I myself doubted that this was SS bracelet when I was to purchase it. As I've never owned Ti before, so I could not tell by its look, although the weight is trimmed significantly from my Seiko SS bracelet.

The back case is Titanium for sure.

How safe is that if the Titanium text is engraved in the clasp?

#27 ·
Hi Alist,

You know maybe It is titanium.. If the clasp and the back of the watch both have titanium stated, then most likely the band is titanium also.

Can you take a few more pictures :). In that one picture it just looked like the SS Version

#30 ·
Hi everyone! This is my first post. I'm from the Philippines and drooling this watch for some time now. I went to a local watch shop (No Curfew) to check but it seems model number is different and the sales people is not familiar with it. According to her, their company is sourcing their watches directly from Japan. Is Citizen changing the model release number depending on your place? I tried to check their japan site but no English translation. My birthday is coming soon and really wanted this watch. Can you help me the Asian version model number of this particular watch? Thanks a lot!

#31 ·
Atomic timekeeping watch, as far as I know, is not marketed and sold in South East Asia as the function will not work. So if you are looking for AT or AS models, you have to go to East Asian countries to get it.

Hope this help

#35 ·
I bought mine while on an RCL (Royal Caribbean) cruise. They had the black version on board at a great discount, but I wanted the Ti version. I found it on St. Thomas at slightly better discount. I, too, was impressed with Royal Caribbean's on-board prices.

Great watch! BTW, it syncs 9+/10 nights when pointed to the west, even up here in Connecticut.

#36 ·
I own both the titanium and the stainless steel models. This is one of the best Citizen designs yet. For the price, it's hard to beat. If you travel between time zones in the US (or anywhere) all you have to do is pull the crown out one click and move the mode hand (@ 6 o'clock) to the city in that time zone -- or the alternate time zone, which you can set to any number of hours ahead or behind your home zone. Louisaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.