WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Citizen Automatic Diver NY2300-09L

19K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  pl39g 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just arrived today so I thought I'd share a few initial thoughts about the watch.

I don't know too much about the technical side of things with watches but I have always liked automatics something about them that is very satisfying when they just keep on going! I really wanted to get a watch that I could wear everyday for work etc. and had that auto movement but didn't cost the earth so I started looking at the Citizen Divers. I think Divers look really cool, I wont pretend that I'm a serious Diver, the most I've done is splash about with a snorkel a couple of times so this watch is really an aesthetic purchase. I picked it up new from ebay for £84 which I thought was a pretty good price having looked around for a bit.

The watch itself is very nice and really does look a lot more expensive than it actually cost. The finish of the steel case is excellent as is the bezel detail. The bezel moves in an anti-clockwise direction only, has a nice easy feel and accurately rests on the correct marker for each click. The dial is a dark blue and looks great with big fat markers and hands - it's not too busy, lets you get all the info you need without having to squint and the day/date is a nice touch too. I was honestly prepared for a few little glitches in the presentation but I am very impressed by how it looks. I'm 6'5" so wearing big watches is not really a problem for me - I usually prefer them and this Citizen is probably about the limit for me, any smaller and it could look a bit mid sized for a diver. This probably won't be an issue for most but thought it worth a mention.

The movement is very smooth and having read many reviews of the Citizen autos I'm hoping for some of that legendary accuracy - so far so good. The crystal seems to be good but I guess only more wear and tear will prove its worth, likewise the strap. I thought initially that the strap would have to be replaced but having worn it today it is very comfortable and is a good fit.

Overall I think this is an excellent watch for the money, it does what it says on the tin and delivers in terms of build quality and finish. Sorry I can't be a bit more technical but I hope that this is useful for someone who is maybe thinking about getting one - I really recommend it if you're looking for a solid diver at this sort of price. I hope to have many years with it on my wrist.

As with my last purchase the WUS forum proved to be invaluable when choosing my watch - Thanks for putting up great reviews and topics, hopelessly addicted to this site.

I really have to stop buying watches...

htr

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Kewl, simple review of a watch that I've been eyeing. I hear you in terms of developing self-restraint, but have found helpful developing "themes" to justify "why" I buy. There's the "theme" of getting a watch to round out a selection -- like needing a Pepsi diver, alongside a black-bezeled diver, etc., etc. If I can't develop a "theme" as to why I'm geting a watch, then I realize the rationale is weak, and I refrain from the purchase.

#3 ·
I ordered one on Boxing day and it arrived today. First impressions are favourable as it is nice and solid but nowhere near as heavy as my Vostok amphibia.
Two small niggles, the hands look cheap and just thin tin, not altogether flat either. I'm not sure if it's because the bezel is red and black either side of the pip at zero but it seems to settle slightly to the right of 12 and my eyes are drawn to it constantly. Probably an optical illusion :-s
HTR, is it your lens that gives the impression that the crystal and bezel are slightly domed?
I hope it is as reliable as the reputation Citizen have.
Rob

#4 ·
I think the bad picture is to blame for the crystal/bezel looking a bit domed as they are flat so apologies for that! The bezel on this one seems to be dead centre and does click around the dial accurately. As far as the watch reliability goes I have been very pleased with it, keeps really good time and requires very little adjustment. I primarily use it for work so it does get used/knocked about a fair bit and it is holding up extremely well - no scratches on either crystal or case and the strap is still looking good.

A good watch for the money I reckon, hope you enjoy it!

htr

#5 ·
Yes, I'm liking this watch more as time goes on and the lume? stays bright all night and big hands help as the eyes get older.
I've had it a fortnight and it has gained a minute so good there.
The strap has to go because I wear it on my right hand and I think due to the design of two ribs on one side and one the other it keeps trying to go around my wrist unless I really tighten it.
On the whole a nice watch for £80 so I'm happy.

#6 ·
Since this automatic movement winds only in one direction, do you think it will be good for someone who is not so active? I know it does hand-wind but it is a feature that I will rarely use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.