Citizen Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater

Thread: Citizen Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater

-->
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Citizen Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater

Hello Folks,

Responding to our kind Mods request for watch reviews. I present the Citizen Minute Repeater Calibre 9000

The Calibre 9000 I have is the BL9000-59F. It is SS and on a bracelet

This is a minute repeater. You push a button and the watch will chime the hours and minutes, allowing you to tell the time in the dark. This was a expensive and high tech/ high degree of craftsmanship in the 1800's and early 1900's. In the days before reliable electric lights and no lume on watch hands, this represented a chance to be able to tell the time. It also offered folks that were blind a way to tell time also.

Largely phased out except for high dollar watches now due to today's technology, the minute repeater is still a very interesting watch.

I had admired this watch at the local department store and loved the sound the thing made when you pushed the minute repeater button. It is very bell like for this price range( I have heard a few complaints from folks that say this watch sounds a bit electronic but keep in mind it retails for $500. If you want a realistic bell sound be prepared to spend $2000-$50,000+)

For the price it sounds good.

I got mine from a department store clearance for $180 (marked down from $599 due to being discontinued in that store)

So I will discuss briefly some aspects of the watch

BAND:

The band that came on it was a 21mm metal bracelet with hidden clasp. This allows the watch band to be perfect looking visually. The big con for me on this is that the design does not allow placement of a micro adjustment hole for those with wrists that are not lucky enough to have the watch fit perfectly with link removal.

I wound up trying leather to discover it sucked(I have never found a leather strap that I like) also. At that point I almost returned the watch back to the store but I decided to tray a 22mm 2 piece nylon strap and it worked perfectly and wore great. The band looks like it was made for the watch and being black matched the number part of the dial.

WATCH:

This is by far one of the most complex watches out there to set the first time around. It took about 5-10 minutes after I read the owners manual to set up the calender and home time.

The case is polished and exquisitely done. The buttons are big a easy to push. The chime is loud enough to hear when the watch is worn.

The dial has a very art deco look to it.

Watch is only rated for 30m which is because it is a dress watch and also because it needs the small slits in the case back to allow the chime to be heard.

It is eco-drive so there is no need for an inconvenient battery change

CONS:

While I do like the watch a lot, I have a few cons

1. Water resistance could be more
    2. Original bracelet should have had a couple of micro adjustment slots in it.
    3. Buttons with play in them. While the buttons are secure and don't feel like they would ever fall out, they do have play in them due to their design
    4. No atomic time. This would have increased sales.

All in all a great watch and one that was discontinued in the USA so you should be able to get one at a discount. They came in SS with bracelet, SS on leather, Gold Plated on leather and Gold Plated on bracelet.

While not as flashy as the Skyhawk AT, it feels more solid to me(I have both and hate the flimsy Skyhawk Bezel

Thanks

L
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Banned

Re: Citizen Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater

This is a beautiful watch but no longer sold in the US by Citizen. However, you can still get the Japan/Asia version of the 9000 from:

www.creationwatches.com

They all come with sapphire glass from factory and 1 year Citizen international warranty. Not bad for US$395.

long term Review added to the Thread!

I purchsed my BL9000-32A just over a year ago now. I got mine with a heafty discount from my local department store. Since that time I have seen prices of this watch tumble in North America to what I regard as giveaway prices for this watch.

I thought it might be useful for people considering this watch to know what it is like to own one after a year.

Well, to put it simply, a sheer joy! My watch has performed faultlessly over the period of my ownership so far.

There really is nothing to report as far as reliability is concerned as it is like a Lexus in that respect, trouble free and exuding class all the time!

The build quality of this watch never ceases to amaze me. I have owned in the time I have had this watch a Breitling and own now an Omega Constellation. I would say that the build quality is easily the equal of those two wonderful watches!

I do not know what treatment they use to finish the case but it is flawless, it has the tone of white gold, there is a hint of that yellow whitness that you get in white gold that shows it is not stainless steel, whatever they have done Citizen has given the finish that look!

The crystal, though not Sapphire is still a work of art, it has medium shaped dome and though I believe it not to be AR it shows very little reflection which is wonderful as the dial is something else!

I own the black leather strap, White dial version, IMHO the best of the lot!
    This has to be one of the crispest white dials out there! I love the opaque white center section ringed by a crisp, clean white ring. The indicies are applied silver and have wonderful bevels to them to catch the light.

The sub dials are ringed with subtle polished metal accents that really add depth and class, the font's used also add to that quality, classy look, a nice clean black on white.

There are Lume dot's ringed in polished metal at 1,3,5,7,9 and 11.00 O'clock positions there is also very generous lume on the the hands. This lume glows the most beautiful blue and the lume lasts well into the night!

I love the way the lume on the hands is framed in a crisp black on this model. Although the face is busy on this watch is is always easy to read because of the design and colour of the hands at a glance. The dial is very ledgible!

I won't go into the technical details or functions as they have been very well covered already, Suffice to say that the watches functions are very useful to me!

This watch certainly lives up to it's grand complication title.. After a year of using it I still refer to the operating manual from time to time to remind myself how to do certain things like adjusting the watch for time change!

As I mentioned my watch comes with the leather strap. For me this is the most desirable option. Though the bracelet is very nice I just think this watch cries out for leather, it just adds to the class of the watch.

The leather is of high quality with a croco print that is very nicely done. I has a nubuck type leather back and the strap is thickly padded with formed curved end peices tha hug the case. The deployant is a work of art, the same type of finish as on the case with highly polished engine turned clasp back.

The attention to detail, the small details is astonishing on this watch.

And of course no review of this watch is complete without mention of the minute repeater function. I find it very useful, especially at night when there is no lume showing (this happens like all watches with lume when the watch has been worn with sleeves and thus the lume has not been exposed to light) It is loud on the wrist and easily heard even on a street with traffic.

Negatives? well, the only one I can think of is that the push buttons on the deployant are a little sharp and gan dig into the wrist sometimes but it is not major!

I know this watch is no longer availible in North America but it is still for sale in it's native land and Asia. As far as I am aware the only difference is a Sapphire crystal, the current price in Japan is Y.78,750 which at todays exchange rate comes to US$877.

I thought I would include that price and whilst acknowledging the fact that that model has a Sapphire crystal people in North America can realize what an absolute bargin we are getting when this model comes up on the internet at the prices it does here! By the way,IMHO this watch most certainly warrants the Japanese price..It really is that good

Here are some pictures!

All the best,
    Ian.

Banned

Re: long term Review added to the Thread!

Ian, your Caliber 9000 is a beauty... Wear it in good health.

Right now I am aiming at getting a new Citizen Signature Collection Grand Complication that uses a slight variant of this same movement. At present, I do not have a minute repeater in my collection.

MID

I have the same model. I agree, it is a very good watch. And for the price, there is no excuse not to have a minute repeater in your collection.

I have the same BL9000-08A (I believe BL9000-32 is the one with sapphire) and is indeed my favorite !!! (so much so that I also got 3 other combinations, one of which with sapphire - I will have a more detailed review soon ...)

Thanks for your kind comments guy's, it really is a great watch.
    Mini, when do you get your signature minute repeater, I have been looking at them this week, what watches, especially with the discounts you guys get in the States

All the best,
    Ian.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ianmedium View Post
    Thanks for your kind comments guy's, it really is a great watch.
    Mini, when do you get your signature minute repeater, I have been looking at them this week, what watches, especially with the discounts you guys get in the States
    Ian, I am in the process of saving for the Signature Citizen as we speak. I am aiming at early to mid December. Not really in a hurry to get it. This year alone I bought 12 new watches, so I am still enjoying my new collection while savoring the thrill of anticipating the arrival of the Signature Citizen later this year(hopefully)

I will just add some pictures of my Minute Repeater. It is indeed a great watch!

A side-by-side picture ...

Here is my group photo:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information