Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

Thread: Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In Exile...
    Posts
    5,555

    Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

    Last week I took the family on a 7 day cruise adventure to Alaska. Needless to say we all had a heck of a good time. About a week ago, while docked at our last port of call in Ketchikan (AK), I had the opportunity to peruse the local jewelry/watch shops in this quaint but very nice inside passage town.

    While visiting an AD Seiko/Citizen store, I came across this gorgeous Citizen Eco-Drive:









    Presenting the latest addition to my collection: The Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Men's WR 100 chronograph.

    Looking at the case, the black dial is nicely textured giving the watch an expensive look. There are five complications on this Eco-Drive:

    - Seconds hand
    - Chronograph hand
    - 24 hour hand
    - 60 minute chronograph hand
    - Date window (4 O'Clock position)

    I really like the design of the main hands. Notice the sporty looking hands for the 24 hour hand and 60 min chronograph hands. The hands for the chronograph function are painted in red and the main chronograph hand has a nice circular shape at the bottom tip end. The 24 hour hand is chromed. Notice the thinner hand shape used for the seconds.

    The hour and minute hands are nicely shaped and they are luminous. The overall look of the dial is very pleasing and doesn't look busy. This lends the watch a very bold and classic look. The only numeral you'll see on the dial is "12" which is chromed right above the "citizen" engraving which is also chromed

    The SS case has a polished finished around the rim and the scratch resistant hardlex glass is slightly raised above the frame. The case is also polished all around with just the sections that connect to the bracelet (Lugs) being brushed. The crown is recessed slightly into the case (It is not a screw down type however) and there are 2 buttons above and below it to control and reset the watch/chronograph functions.

    The SS bracelet has fairly solid links with both brushed/polished finishes featured. I am not sure if this watch has solid or hollow end links (They seem to be solid) but the bracelet feels substantial, well finished, and it doesn't racket when you hold it in your hands.

    The clasp has the word "CITIZEN" engraved on it and the mechanism is fold over with safety push buttons which is fairly standard issue on new watches.

    The case back is SS screw down type. Pretty much Citizen Eco-Drive standard with the laser engravings with the Eco-Drive world logo, serial/case number, country of origin, etc.


    Now how does it wear? It is a fantastic and comfortable watch to wear on the wrist. I have small 6.5 inch wrists, yet the watch wears nicely and doesn't look overwhelming yet it has wrist presence. This model is a very nice combination of a sporty/dressy watch that will look great in the office as well with a T-Shirt and jeans on the weekend.

    This watch is rated for 100m water resistance which is fairly good for a non-diver oriented timepiece.

    The case is about 42mm including the crown and the height is around 10mm. The bracelet is 25mm at the lugs.

    This is my first Eco-Drive watch and I am well pleased with it. This particular model appears to be hard to find so I am glad I pulled the trigger on it (The other contestant was a Seiko Kinetic SKA379 that was the same price but the SS bracelet was a let down on an otherwise nice watch).

    After more than 25 years of Citizen watches ownership, this H500 movement Eco-Drive continues to impress. This is a very nice timepiece and I highly recommend it if you can locate one, and of course, if it fits your tastes.

    Feel free to ask any questions or add to my comments.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Isthmus; January 9th, 2010 at 17:06.

  2. #2
    Member sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Romania, Europe
    Posts
    222

    Re: Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

    Hey there! Very good review I must say. I have a Citizen Eco-Drive AT0550-11X wich I just realised has the same H500 movement. Thus I would like to know a little more about it if you have some extra information. The only thing I know about it is that it's a little bit more accurate than the ETA G10.211 movement on my Tissot T-Race. And that came somewhat as a surprize to me considering the price difference!
    Orient Automatic CEU07008D-1 | Orient Automatic CET06001W | Citizen Eco Drive Retrograde BR0116-04B | Citizen Eco Drive AT0550-11X | Citizen 7 Automatic | Tissot T-Race T90.4.446.31 | Tissot Goldrun | Doxa Grafic 2007 Re-Edition | Timex Indiglo T2M561

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In Exile...
    Posts
    5,555

    Re: Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyer View Post
    Hey there! Very good review I must say. I have a Citizen Eco-Drive AT0550-11X wich I just realised has the same H500 movement. Thus I would like to know a little more about it if you have some extra information. The only thing I know about it is that it's a little bit more accurate than the ETA G10.211 movement on my Tissot T-Race. And that came somewhat as a surprize to me considering the price difference!
    Thanks, good to hear you enjoyed the review

    I love this little Citizen. It is simple, straightforward, very accurate like you said, wears nicely, and has a distinctive retro-look to it. As a matter of fact I wore it all day yesterday

    The H500 chronograph Eco-Drive movement is considered to be a "bread and butter" caliber as it is used in several variations of entry level Eco-Drive watches.

    Let me give you some technical documentation on the H500 for your reading enjoyment:

    http://www.citizenwatch.com/download...uides/H500.pdf

    Would love to see a pic of your H500 Citizen

  4. #4
    Member sbesa77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    138

    Re: Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

    Thanks for the great review. Very nice Citizen - classy, retro, good size. Congratulations on a good find.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In Exile...
    Posts
    5,555

    Re: Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

    Wow! I found a pic of your watch:



    I absolutely love brown dials. They seem to be coming back in fashion. I myself picked up a brand new Citizen Calibre 8700 perpetual calendar model BL8000-54X a coupe of weeks ago:



    I haven't worn it yet.

    Citizen USA just released this brown dial version of the Calibre 8700 series back in June 2009.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In Exile...
    Posts
    5,555

    Re: Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by sbesa77 View Post
    Thanks for the great review. Very nice Citizen - classy, retro, good size. Congratulations on a good find.
    Thank you

    It is amazing the number of compliments I have received about this watch. It was indeed a great find. And I can certainly say that I went all the way back to Alaska to find it

  7. #7
    Member sbesa77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    138

    Re: Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

    Yes, no distance is too far for the right watch!

    Must admit, the Alaska part is just as intriguing for me - would love to visit there someday.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    In Exile...
    Posts
    5,555

    Re: Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by sbesa77 View Post
    Yes, no distance is too far for the right watch!

    Must admit, the Alaska part is just as intriguing for me - would love to visit there someday.
    It is an amazingly beautiful place. Really gives you a different perspective as to how we perceive this beautiful country of ours. We have so much land in our name is not even funny.

    Alaska is wild. Truly the last frontier. Most towns, including Juneau the capital of Alaska, are small and quaint. Driving 30-40 mins in either direction throws you into complete and pristine nature. Here in the lower 48 we experience that in bits and pieces (And the American west is overwhelming as is) but in Alaska is just so big, majestic and breath taking you have to be there to experience it.

    It was a fun trip. Highly recommend it. It really does good for your body and spirit.

  9. #9
    Member jbdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Atlanta GA USA <><
    Posts
    5,727

    Re: Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by MINIDriver View Post
    It is an amazingly beautiful place. Really gives you a different perspective as to how we perceive this beautiful country of ours. We have so much land in our name is not even funny.

    Alaska is wild. Truly the last frontier. Most towns, including Juneau the capital of Alaska, are small and quaint. Driving 30-40 mins in either direction throws you into complete and pristine nature. Here in the lower 48 we experience that in bits and pieces (And the American west is overwhelming as is) but in Alaska is just so big, majestic and breath taking you have to be there to experience it.

    It was a fun trip. Highly recommend it. It really does good for your body and spirit.

    And i will 2nd that trip! It is freekin' amazing and if you are the outdoor type you will be blown away the instant you see the pristine nature of the last frontier.

    Please for the love of Pete, if you have not gone to Alaska yet do it in your lifetime!!
    "You've stolen my heart, yes You have, You've wiped away the stains, broke away the chains, yes You have!" Leeland

  10. #10
    Member sawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Romania, Europe
    Posts
    222

    Picture Re: Citizen Eco-Drive H500-S066315-KA Chronograph Reviewed

    Quote Originally Posted by MINIDriver View Post
    Thanks, good to hear you enjoyed the review

    I love this little Citizen. It is simple, straightforward, very accurate like you said, wears nicely, and has a distinctive retro-look to it. As a matter of fact I wore it all day yesterday

    The H500 chronograph Eco-Drive movement is considered to be a "bread and butter" caliber as it is used in several variations of entry level Eco-Drive watches.

    Let me give you some technical documentation on the H500 for your reading enjoyment:

    http://www.citizenwatch.com/download...uides/H500.pdf

    Would love to see a pic of your H500 Citizen
    Hey...thank you very much for the reading material. It's a real treat! I have some pics of my watch but they're not very professional...one day I just took it off and started snaping some shots...didn't even get to clean it. I'll polish it and put some more pics latter...maybe even a review. Thanks again for the *.pdf about the H500!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Orient Automatic CEU07008D-1 | Orient Automatic CET06001W | Citizen Eco Drive Retrograde BR0116-04B | Citizen Eco Drive AT0550-11X | Citizen 7 Automatic | Tissot T-Race T90.4.446.31 | Tissot Goldrun | Doxa Grafic 2007 Re-Edition | Timex Indiglo T2M561

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2