Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jockinho

Thread: Citizen NY2300, my impressions...

I got this Citizen Ny2300 some days ago, thought I share my impressions of it. There is a review of the pepsi version in this thread Citizen Automatic Diver NY2300-09L but I thought I should share mine too.

First some stats:
    Measures 38mm without crown (40 with).
    12mm thick.
    Weight around 100 gram with rubberstrap.
    Price in the 70-100 dollars range.

Fit and finish
    NY2300 is a pretty small watch with itīs 40mm and sits nicely on the wrist. Feels very light and pliable. The finish of the case is good and so is the bezel. The case are polished on the side and brushed on the top and the bezel is also polished on the side. The bezel clicks smoothly, and feels very reliable. Not to stiff but not loose either. Very good

The most disturbing thing when looking at the finish of this watch is the caseback, which to be nice is horrible. I had expected more from a brand like Citizen, a logo would have been nice...

Sorry for the dust and reflections...

Strap
    My watch came with the original Citizen rubberstrap. After three days of use, itīs still very stiff. Acctually after some hours of use my wrist began to hurt, the "bubblerubber" just drilled into my wrist. Otherwise it looks good...

Dial
    In my opinion the dial is beautifully done, it has more of a grey tone than black. With the fat hands itīs very easy to read the time and the lume is good, not Seiko OM good but very good for the price

Movement

It has a Miyota 21 jewel automatic movement, so far itīs been accurate for around +-10 to 15 seconds a day (which I think is good). Also this movement is one of the big plus sides of this watch, since it can be hand wound but unfortunately not hacked. The watch has a screw down crown and is water resistant to 200m, I have only tested itīs water resistant in a glass of water and that worked well. Itīs gonna be use for swimming during the summer so an update will come later...

The "wr-test"...

Summary
    Positive:
    - Fit and finish is good in most aspects.
    - Easy to read the time.
    - 200m WR.
    - Can be hand wound.
    - Bezel turns smoothly and feels very reliable.
    - Lume is good.

Negative:
    - The rubberstrap is very stiff.
    - Caseback is very ugly, no nice details at all.

All in all itīs a nice watch, value for the money is good. For around 100 dollars you get a nice divers watch, that Iīm sure really is suitable for diving. The fit and finish is not as good as on the Seiko divers but itīs also cheaper.

A last compare picture with the Seiko Orange Monster (The monster is 42mm with crown)...

Thought I should add some more shots...

A lume comparision with the Orange Monster (citizen to the right)

And two compare pic with my LM-7...

(the light was bad so a little blurry...)
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    Last edited by OldHippie1968; September 15th, 2009 at 19:44. Reason: Attached thumbnails/Merged posts

Re: Citizen NY2300, my impressions...

I find the plain back gives it a nice retro feel (look at all the mid 70s Seikos)

Re: Citizen NY2300, my impressions...

NIce....It is in my shopping plans....

Thread Information