Thread: Citizen Skyhawk 2nd time zone info and daylight saving setings

Citizen Skyhawk 2nd time zone info and daylight saving setings

I have a Citizen Skyhawk radio controlled watch and live in Lisbon, London, lisbon timezone.
    I am very happy with this watch and until now, looking only to other european countries time, I detected no problems as the watch is automatically set via radio and daylight saving settings correctly adjusted.
    Recently I followed US Open Tennis event and understood that my watch does not automatically show the correct time for NYC time zone.
    Analysing the situation I concluded that the origin of the situation was incorrect setting of dayligth saving setting for New York City.
    Should I adjust manually all time zones outside Europe in what concerns daylight saving setting (SMT)?
    What is the correct procedure to assure that I have permanently acessible on the Watch the correct Time all over the World? (for instance Buenos Aires, Tokyo and Bombaim) (I must confess this was a presupposition of buying this watch).

Thanks in advance for some clarification on this subject.

Re: Citizen Skyhawk 2nd time zone info and daylight saving setings

Quote Originally Posted by fmcrr View Post
    I have a Citizen Skyhawk radio controlled watch and live in Lisbon, London, lisbon timezone.
    I am very happy with this watch and until now, looking only to other european countries time, I detected no problems as the watch is automatically set via radio and daylight saving settings correctly adjusted.
    Recently I followed US Open Tennis event and understood that my watch does not automatically show the correct time for NYC time zone.
    Analysing the situation I concluded that the origin of the situation was incorrect setting of dayligth saving setting for New York City.
    Should I adjust manually all time zones outside Europe in what concerns daylight saving setting (SMT)?
    What is the correct procedure to assure that I have permanently acessible on the Watch the correct Time all over the World? (for instance Buenos Aires, Tokyo and Bombaim) (I must confess this was a presupposition of buying this watch).

Thanks in advance for some clarification on this subject.

Yes, each location has to be set for DST if that city uses it.

Check out the following Wikipedia article on the complexities of DST:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Then there is the issue of time zones, with several 1/2 hour time zones and even 1/4 hour time zones:

http://www.worldtimezone.com/faq.html

No wonder that watch manufacturers have quite a challenge on their hands to make their watches handle these issues properly. And then at any given point in time a jurisdiction can arbitrarily decide to change the rules in their jurisdiction.

My old Skyhawk could only do full hour time zones. My RC controlled Skyhawk AT can handle half hour time zones, and although not all are represented, the user settable time zone could be used for a missing 1/2 hour zone. But visit Chatham Island, NZ and I'd be out of luck (although as there is no radio signal near there the watch could just be set manually, but then the rest of the world would be wrong).

Casio has a larger selection of cities on many of their watches. My G-Shock GW3500B-1A has 48 versus only about 26 on my Skyhawk. Not all are unique, but the larger number of choices would make it easier to deal with the variations in zones and DST policies.
    Sabresoft

Breitling Airwolf Raven | Certina
    DS2 PreciDrive | Christopher Ward C70 Brooklands COSC | Maurice Lacroix Miros Chrono Diver COSC | Sinn UX

Casio G-Shock GW3500B-1A | Casio Pro Trek PRW5100-1 | Citizen Attesa ATD53-3081 |
    Citizen Blue Angels World Time Chronograph AT | Citizen SS Skyhawk AT | Citizen Red Arrows Skyhawk AT |
    Citizen Satellite Wave-Air | Seiko Astron SAST005

Campanola Grand Complication AH4000-01X | Citizen Titanium Skyhawk | Independent Black ITA21-5141 |
    Timex IQ Flyback Chronograph T2N700ZL

αlpha Carbon | duBois Rotomatic | Maurice Lacroix Miros (Automatic) Diver

Parker 61 Fountain Pen | Parker 45 Brushed Stainless Fountain Pen, Ball Point & Pencil | Parker 45 Bronze & Gold Fountain Pen | Parker Sonnet Fountain Pen | Parker Insignia Ball Point & Pencil | Parker 75 Sterling Silver Ball Point & Pencil | Parker 50 Fountain Pen & Pencil | Parker Jotter x 2

Thread Information