Thread: Citizen World Perpetual AT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Citizen World Perpetual AT

Having read a very teasing review over on a blog to read.com, (you can see in this review the various colours this watch will come in) i thought id give more information about the watch for potential future buyers as it seems this may well be a big seller for citizen in the western world.

I wonder how many people got into watch collecting because they were looking for the perfect do it all watch? not necessarily their grail but a watch that can be used everyday and in all possible scenarios.
    My perfect watch is a collection of ideals, for example id want it to have sapphire crystal for a start, 200m water resistance or more (u can always trust 200m WR watches, id have less faith swimming with a 100m watch), a reliable, very accurate movement with a perpetual calendar that works under its own power but needs no real servicing, and a watch that looks good in a number of situations, it is adaptable to evening events as well as casual wear. As im not really a fan of chrono's, my ideal watch would a have a gmt complication or better; an independently adjustable hour hand for travel possibilities. Now try as i might, i have found this watch very hard to find. Watches with independently adjustable hour hands alone are hard to find but add in factors of good water resistance and a perpetual calandar and you are limited in your choices (mainly looking for second-hand japanese domestic models that are as rare as hens teeth). This Citizen then, may well be the answer:

The Watch measures 49mm tall by 45mm wide including the crown (i see no point in taking it out of the statistics it as its so small and makes little different to the looks or size of the watch), it is 10mm (ish) thick and it has 24mm lugs. Water resistance is 200m, it has sapphire crystal and a radio controlled (receiving from 2 stations in japan, colarado in usa, Germany and China....most stations send signals for 1500km, the usa station is double) Citizen eco drive, perpetual calandar movement with independently adjustable hour hand (movement is h144). I payed £280.00 for this watch (as a very new model it had only just been delivered to the shop and was out for 2 hours before i snapped it up . you may find it hard to attain at the moment but they are coming out around now)

Form (Design and build quality)

Case, Dial, Hands and Crystal
    The design of the watch case is nice, having curved lugs that add to the look of the watch rather than just doing a job, the thinness of the case makes it light and comfortable and the black bezel is well printed and has a dull shine to it, all the cities line up with the hour indications on the chapter ring. The case back has the typical citizen etching that most european eco-drive models have but with 'world ' scribed in the middle, a sign this watch may be sticking around in a few different designs for a while perhaps. The caseback has no holes for a case tool and when the battery finally does run out the watch will probably have to be sent back to Citizen to replace it (as stated on caseback), a ball opener may have a chance of opeing it but im not so sure.

The crown is a little on the small side and unsigned. The crown does not screw in but does not affect the watches features when it is pushed in (unlike some of the citizen chronos released a couple of years ago) If you have thick fingers you may struggle with the crown.

The dial has good attention to detail, the radio controlled markers on the left of the dial are receesed slightly, giving a 3d quality under closer inspection and are in line with the date, both are ringed in chrome. The focal point of the dial is a nice guilloché-like pattern which can change colour in sunlight, offering an almost pearlescent appearance (i have found through collecting that i get bored easily with watches with plain dials so this is a great bonus, it gives it a 'how did they do that?' feel to the dial).
    Thick 'aviator' like hands are very visible and the chrome outlined indices are applied, the combination of the two offers a sophisticated look thats wouldn't be out of place on a dress or sports watch.

Lume on the hands is acceptable (citizen blue colour) but the indices can appear 'fuzzy' at night and the glow is more restrained, the scond hand has no lume (it has a power saving function which at night makes lume redundant) but has additional detailing on the tail, further depicting its radio capabilites.

The sapphire crystal is a welcome addition at this price range and has one layer of anti reflection coating on the underside. It does a fair job of
    reflecting sunlight but is not say comparable to say, my Tag Aquaracer or Ball Nightrain. It is good for the price though.

Bracelet:

A possible downside of this watch is the bracelet, It is widely used in many citizen watches these days but this is the first time i have encountered it. It has very small links and two half links for adjustment. The links are brushed, thin but solid, with the middle links polished. Split pins are used for attachment . The Clasp is well made for the price of the watch but is not double locking, this is not really an issue as the presses are recessed into the clasp, offering better safety than they would have if they stuck out. The end links are solid, a good touch at this price.

The bracelet feels very light but balances the weight of the watch case well. I found it a little hard to get a truly perfect fit as it does not have micro adjustment of any kind, i finally settled on having one side of the bracelet with a half link and one without. The bracelet is comfortable but some may complain about its metallic rattle when moved, or that it may pull hairs on the hairier amongst us. I have no problems or concerns with it at all and think it suits the watch.

Function

This watch uses the h144 movement. This movement is more commonly seen in the Japanese only market Attesa line and I'm fairly certain this is the first time this movement has been used on European/ American market citizens. The movement has a two year power reserve after a full charge. The second hand lines up perfectly with its markers and has an anti shock protection system involved so they never come out of sync.
    The watch has a secondary button at 4 0'clock which can show power reserve with one push or manual radio receive with a hold (the second hand needle will rush to 'RX' on the dial and may take between 2 and 15 minutes to adjust to correct atomic time).

The best thing about this movement though, is the independently adjustable hour hand, a useful advantage when traveling from time zone to time zone. one pull of the crown is all you need to keep up with the time zone you are heading to next, the bezel and chapter ring can be conbined in addition to a little maths if you need to contact someone in another country.

Conclusion

Its great that the rest of the world is finally starting to see all the special watches the Japanese have kept to themselves all these years and this watch is a fantastic addition to the eco drive range. I think it will be very popular as it has a clean, elegant 3 hand design with useful attributes. It looks make it comfortable on your wrist on a night out or in the office and its water resistance means when your on holiday you dont have to worry about it in the sea either. Its light yet keeps up with modern times with its 45mm case (it does not wear big if you are worried though).

Its major rival is probably the Citizen Chronotime AT but if, like me, you feel the dial is too busy, then you have most of the advantages that watch could give with the added bonus of better readability.

Apart from the lume, (which isn't amazing but is acceptable)and the small crown, which can be hard to use if you have stubby fingers (i would recommend you try it in a shop first) there is nothing i can really knock this watch for. It does everything you could need if your not after a chrono. With models like the World Perpetual AT (or W-PATZ as i like to call it) Its no wonder Citizen sells so many watches.

Hope i havent missed anything out and you enjoyed the review.

G.

Re: Citizen World Perpetual AT

On Citizen leather Strap (from a BL5250-02L), its 22mm (i didnt measure lugs till i put it on the watch) but it gives a good idea of what this watch looks like on other straps:

Crouching tiger, hidden flieger??

Nice review

Looks like same SS bracelet and cheap clasp used on the Skyhawk....but the sapphire crystal is a huge plus.

IMO EcoDrive, perpetual cal and radio controlled is the future of real watches used for telling time.

Walter
    A watch has a singular purpose and that is to display the time it is keeping track of.

Citizen Skyhawk AT JY0000-53E c/w sapphire upgrade
    Citizen PMD56-2952

Omega Speedmaster 1866 movm't 35765000 Moon phase and date
    Seiko SBCM023
    Seiko SBCZ005 Grey Ghost
    Tissot Seastar 660 Quartz T19.1.481.42

I am new to the watch world. Any suggestions on where I might find this watch for sale in the US? Ideally, I would like to buy from a local jewellery store in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I was about to buy a Calibre 8700 as my first "real" watch, but I would like to have look at one one of these new watches first. In particular, I like this model: CB0013-12E

Thanks,

Kevin512

Thanks H20, i would have to agree with you on that statement, it is the most practical solution to modern time pieces.

Hi Kevin, I'm sorry, i can't help in finding this model in the states as I'm from the UK (i know thanks for nothing ), i myself searched the internet over and over again but to no avail, it is not on any watch websites yet as you probably know. I was very fortunate as i found it in my home town shopping mall staring me in the face behind the counter (H. Samuels was the AD but i doubt its on their website either) , it had literally just been delivered to the shop as a new release and having drooled over it since the blogtoread.com review i just bought it before anyone else could.

I'm glad i did because the movement is pretty much a grail for me, thus making it pretty special. Its just a perfect do it all watch!

Um... as for online try nigel O'hara or watch shop

Citizen Watches | Citizen Watch | Citizen Watches UK | Watches Citizen

Citizen World Perpetual A-T Watch CB0010-02E - WATCHSHOP.com

Now before you try these sites, id just like to say these do not have it in stock either. But oddly you could order the watch from Nigel O'hara up until about a month ago (i kept going back to the site to check the price) but they took it off the site as i guess they never got a delivery of the watch at all.

These sites may get stock soon though so could be worth watching.

I found it very frustrating to be able to find one of these and just got lucky but I'm pretty sure the release date has passed, just have to keep your eyes peeled I'm afraid. All i can say is it'll be worth it when you find one!

Coming soon........W-PATZ on bond nato

Grandsire,

Thanks for the information and the original review, although I am a bit jealous you already have one. It looks like it is worth waiting for, so I'll just have to be patient for a while longer. I called a couple of local watch jewellers, they were aware of the new models, but haven't seen any yet and didn't know when they would arrive.

Any guesses on when these will become widely available? Does past experience with new Citizen watch models offer any clues?

Thanks,

Kevin512

Picture Re: Citizen World Perpetual AT

kevin,

Im sure these should really be out in shops now, unless any other members can help my advice at this time would be to visit the biggest mall you can and check out all the jewelery stores, i'm sure the bigger stores would get stock first. Be sure to post picks if you find one, most of the pleasure is in the hunt anyways

Additional Observations

• Receives Radio signal at 2am every morning without fail from Germany
    • There is a titanium model available but i wouldn't bother paying the extra, it doesn't seem to have dura tech (or whatever its called) coating plus the steel version is so light i would worry the Ti version would float away!
    • Nato Straps are awesome....nuff' said:

Last edited by Grandsire; September 29th, 2010 at 16:29.

Guys, I'm not really into the "World" look of this model, but I really like the idea of a Perpetual that is also radio/atomic synched.

I came across the model very similar but the cities are shown more conservatively on the inside of the dial's edge rather than on the outside of the bezel.

When I came across the CB0010-53L as shown here, I ordered it immediately and hope to have it early next week.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CITIZEN-CB00...-/120627932647
    (I didnt' actually buy it from there but that's the best picture I could find to show you what the model looks like.)

I was totally tickled when I saw this new Citizen with all three of the most desireable features a Citizen can have (to me, anyway), and those are 1. Eco-Drive for care-free, long-term power, 2. Perpetual Calendar, and 3. Radio time accuracy.

But I have a question for those who know...
    What's the difference between what's referred to as "Atomic" time and "Radio Controlled" time?
    Here in Texas, any clocks I've bought with Atomic time are all set to the Denver frequency, and then you have to set your clock as to it's time zone that you are using it in.
    But with Citizen's Radio Time, you set a city, so I'm wondering what the fine points difference are between the two terms.

TIA
    Last edited by Deltahawk; October 4th, 2010 at 17:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Deltahawk View Post
    Guys, I'm not really into the "World" look of this model, but I really like the idea of a Perpetual that is also radio/atomic synched.

I came across the model very similar but the cities are shown more conservatively on the inside of the dial's edge rather than on the outside of the bezel.

When I came across the CB0010-53L as shown here, I ordered it immediately and hope to have it early next week.
    NEW CITIZEN CB0010-53L MEN'S ATOMIC ECO CALENDAR WATCH - eBay (item 120627932647 end time Oct-29-10 13:23:52 PDT)
    (I didnt' actually buy it from there but that's the best picture I could find to show you what the model looks like.)

I was totally tickled when I saw this new Citizen with all three of the most desireable features a Citizen can have (to me, anyway), and those are 1. Eco-Drive for care-free, long-term power, 2. Perpetual Calendar, and 3. Radio time accuracy.

But I have a question for those who know...
    What's the difference between what's referred to as "Atomic" time and "Radio Controlled" time?
    Here in Texas, any clocks I've bought with Atomic time are all set to the Denver frequency, and then you have to set your clock as to it's time zone that you are using it in.
    But with Citizen's Radio Time, you set a city, so I'm wondering what the fine points difference are between the two terms.

TIA
    It's pretty much the same idea - just that the time zones are noted as cities for ease of use. For example, instead of having to remember that Paris is "GMT +1" or whatever, you just set the watch to Paris and it knows to add one hour on to GMT on the atomic time signal it receives via radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Trampoline View Post
    It's pretty much the same idea - just that the time zones are noted as cities for ease of use. For example, instead of having to remember that Paris is "GMT +1" or whatever, you just set the watch to Paris and it knows to add one hour on to GMT on the atomic time signal it receives via radio.
    Ahh, that makes sense. So I guess in the US, you get the Denver signal no matter where you are and the city choice on the watch is what determines the time zone.
    Cool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information