Review of Citizen Promaster Sky PMK65-2211

Thread: Review of Citizen Promaster Sky PMK65-2211

Review of Citizen Promaster Sky PMK65-2211

I posted a review of the Promaster Sky on my blog.

I repeat it here as well in case you can not get to the blog. I love this watch.

-----------------------------

This is my newest Citizen. Japan only Citizen Promaster Sky (PMK65-2211). Titanium case and band with Duratect coating, and a DLC bezel in a limited edition of 1000 per year. I believe this is due to the limited manufacturing numbers of the Diamond-Like-Carbon (DLC) coated bezel.

There is also a version with an ordinary titanium bezel with the model number PMK65-2212.

The Box

I purchased the watch from an Ebay Japan seller. The seller was excellent and the watch was received in 4 days via USPS Express Mail delivery. The watch was triple boxed with a standard shipping box on the outside. When I opened that box, I saw a nicely done outer cardboard box and the owner's manual on top.

The inner box looked like this:

And finally, I saw my watch:

The yellow light that can seen is a reflection from my camera.

The owner's manual is in both English and Japanese. It is easy to read and readily understood.

The Case

Either model is fully coated with the Citizen proprietary Duratect coating. The case size listed at the Citizen website as 43 mm. The lug size is 20mm and the case has standard lugs which means you can use your favorite 20mm strap including a NATO strap. You can see the case, dial and the crystal here.

The lugs on the case are curved downward so that even if you have a small wrist, there should not be undue pressure on the wrist. The caseback (screwed down) is also made of titanium and coated with Duratect. In nearly a month of ownership, there are no scratches on any part of the case, bezel and bracelet. This coating definitely works. I wish my IWC GST Chronograph Titanium was also finished with this coating. In fact, I wish the caseback of my IWC did not stick out as much and the lugs were curved. But hey, that's another review. Getting back to the Citizen, despite the 43mm size, this watch wears no differently than my Rolex Explorer II on the wrist except it is lighter. It is not paper light, but it is about 1/2 the weight of the Rolex. The lugs and the case are beveled to be smooth and not to dig into the wrist. I wish my Kobold Soarway Diver had such a nicely smooth case, but I am sure Mr. Kobold has his reasons for why the edges of the lugs are razor-sharp. The bezel rotates smoothly (uni-directional) and has a lume dot that glows pretty much all night long at the 0 minutes position.

The case is completed by a SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL coated with anti-reflective coating on the inside. The sapphire crystal is domed and looks beatiful. I have no idea why Citizen only brings in mineral crystal versions of their world time watches to the US.

The Bracelet

The bracelet is also made of titanium, and tapers from 20 mm to roughly 18 mm at the clasp. The clasp is milled and not stamped, has a very solid feel and has the required safety foldover. The bracelet attaches to the clasp with spring bars that seem to be made out of titanium (at least the color matches the rest of the bracelet). Like the case, the bracelet has tapered and beveled edges which makes it comfortable to wear with no digging into the skin and no hair pulling. It is light but still feels substantial, overall quality is very high. In fact, I would go out and say that this bracelet would not feel out of place on a watch that costs $5000-10000. Coated with Duratect, there has been no scratching over a month of daily wearing.

My only pick is that is uses the pin and collar method of fastening and much like my Omega X-33, I could not adjust the bracelet myself and had to take it in to my watchmaker (yes, we are on a first name basis by now) to get it fixed. If you want to adjust it yourself, you will need an extra long pin punch and a press to insert it back. The supplied bracelet will fit up to an 8 inch wrist. My watchmaker took out two links to make it fit my 7 inch wrist. There are 3 micro adjustment wholes on the clasp for seasonal (too much Turkey this thanksgiving !!!) adjustments.

The Movement

This watch comes with the Citizen C651 caliber Eco-drive world time movement. This movement is very similar to the US specification C650 except all the annoying power saving features have been toned down. For example, the seconds hand will only stop after being in complete darkness for 30 minutes as opposed to the C650. The power reserve has not gone down from 3 bars during the last month. The dial has a nicely done golf ball texture and the solar panels underneath are not visible unless you know what to look for. The LCD display is easy to read especially when compared to my Skyhawk AT. The edges of the LCD display holes on the dial are coated with black which makes this dial more professional (and less pronounced) looking compared to the Skyhawk AT . The lack of the battery reserve subdial also means that the 24 hr clock and the UTC clock are easier to read since they are bigger.

The lume on the dial and the hands glows brightly all night long and once you get used to the blue green color, the brightness is similar to my Seiko Monster (orange dial). The hands are finished with a matte-white coating which presents nice contrast with the black dial and makes them easier to read.

Unlike the Skyhawk AT, the crown can be used without pulling it out one click. This is the way it should be. I have no idea why the Citizen design team changed this from C651 when they designed the Skyhawk AT.

The Citizen C650/1 are covered in many places on the web, so I will not discuss the functions in detail. In a summary, the movement has 3 alarms that can be set in any timezone (31 time zones), a functional timer, a chronograph and obviously a perpetual calendar. Additionally, I also use the diver bezel to time things. So you can be timing three things at the same time which I do use occasionally.

My only pick on this movement is that Citizen should bite the bullet and put the UTC hand with the main clock hands (like an Explorer II) and increase the size of the LCD display to be even more legible. Again, Citizen design team, if you let me, I can design a really usable professional watch line for you. No payment necessary, consider it volunteer work.

The Conclusion

Normally, every watch I own, I have things that I don't like, except maybe the Explorer II which has been through thick and thin with me and is about perfect. This watch joins my Explorer II as the only other watch in my collection where I have no reservations. Titanium so it is strong and lightweight. Duratect coated so it does not scratch easily. AR-coated sapphire crystal and a DLC bezel. I simply love this watch. Get one soon as I am sure Citizen will discontinue this timepiece once they exhaust their supply of C651 movements. At a bargain list price of 82000 Yen, it is too good to pass-up.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by OldHippie1968; September 15th, 2009 at 22:54. Reason: Attached thumbnails
    TimeReport
    Watch Review Blog

Re: Review of Citizen Promaster Sky PMK65-2211

Excellent review. Thanks so much for sharing. I have gone ahead and saved it to our review archive for future reference. Thanks again.

That price, at about USD1000, is substantial & beyond my dreams for now.
    I particularly liked the effort to describe the combined effects of Titanium as the principle structural material, & the patended Duratech coating.
    I imagine that if this coating is unique & offers such additional benefits that Citizen will soon sell or license the technology & we might soon see more of this feature.
    And yes I like the watch appearance also, but would like to know its overall case thickness because I find that even my old Seiko Divers at 40 mm Diam x 11 mm thick is sufficiently bulky (may not be the best word to describe) that I am constantly knocking things as I move around above sea level. Of course as my wife will point out I am a clumsy so & so - that said my lighter slimmer watches have a much easier life.
    Pete

Hi

I think on Ebay, you can find this watch listed between 650 and 750 USD based on exchange rates.

I am more than impressed with Duratect. I had this watch for nearly 2 months now (I think) and I have ZERO desk diving scratches on the bracelet which is incredible. Normally, my watches last about 2 days before getting scratches on them (assuming that I got the watch on a Friday afternoon ).

In terms of bulkiness, I can wear the watch under a long sleeve shirt. The diver bezel gets stuck on the collar sometimes (like the Breitling Aerospace) but it is relatively thin. I would say it is probably 1-2 mm thicker than a Rolex Explorer II.

Finally, the accuracy has been good so far. It is running around 0.1 sec/day over the first 30 days I had the watch. From my measurements, it looks like the rate did settle down in the second month of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by peterlonz View Post
    That price, at about USD1000, is substantial & beyond my dreams for now.
    I particularly liked the effort to describe the combined effects of Titanium as the principle structural material, & the patended Duratech coating.
    I imagine that if this coating is unique & offers such additional benefits that Citizen will soon sell or license the technology & we might soon see more of this feature.
    And yes I like the watch appearance also, but would like to know its overall case thickness because I find that even my old Seiko Divers at 40 mm Diam x 11 mm thick is sufficiently bulky (may not be the best word to describe) that I am constantly knocking things as I move around above sea level. Of course as my wife will point out I am a clumsy so & so - that said my lighter slimmer watches have a much easier life.
    Pete
    TimeReport
    Watch Review Blog

Thank you for this review, I really enjoyed it. I Great watch, I luv the color and a bit glossy look of the bracelet. I hope duratech will become a standard on all titanium watches.

Hi

You are most welcome.
    TimeReport
    Watch Review Blog

Nice review, thanks. I have a Navihawk and this is the one watch that I no longer wear and that has been in the shop the most. Once the battery dies I've had to send it back to Citizen to get fixed. Once it lost synchronization between the two different time pieces (the hand, and the LCD window time) and had to go back to Citizen for that. Once I received it back, it lasted two weeks before that battery died again. So I sent it back again (this time without having to pay anything, it was just the inconvenience factor) to have the battery replaced, which they did. Since then, the latest is that the time can't be adjusted any more because it seems that the button that you pull out to adjust the time no longer does anything, or causes any reaction what so ever when pulled. Citizen quoted me a price of approximately 2/3rds of the cost of the watch when I bought it in 1997 to fix it with new innards, or a little less to actually fix the problem. I told them to pound sand and send back my watch. It now sits in my watch box with my 9 other watches and 2 pocket watches as a testament of what not to look for in a watch. Hopefully your experience over time will be better than mine.

Also, a boss of mine has the same watch and hooked me up with the PDFs on how to do things with the watch once you crack the cap and go inside. So that's a good thing, but while I loved the watch, it has been the most problematic watch that I've ever owned! I loved the dual timezone functionality and all of the features (like the hands up at 12 o'clock and things like that), but I am so done with this watch. I'm considering moving over to a Suunto Core. Sure, it's a little overkill with the features, but I like the user functionality with being able to change the battery and watchbands.

Either way, good luck with the Promaster. With any luck, it will be a problem free watch for you.

Also, for the record. I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I just couldn't let this go by without simply speaking my piece.

Also, yea, I realize that the power problems of the older watches has pretty much been remedied with the Eco Drive. But my faith in this brand has been tainted.
    Last edited by Stratula; January 9th, 2010 at 23:07. Reason: typo

Thread Information