Another review: Orient Vintage FD0F001W
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Another review: Orient Vintage FD0F001W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pen Another review: Orient Vintage FD0F001W

There is another well written WUS review about this model that you may want to read first, as I will not go into detail of what has been mentioned there.

Background: I'm currently into this Japanese affordable watch collecting bug. I already have an old school G-Shock, a couple of affordable Seikos and even a J.Springs (see signature). I was on a mission to get an Orient and a Citizen "representative" (still searching for the latter). Even before reading the above-mentioned review, this model already caught my eye among the dozens of Orients displayed in stores. At the time of purchase, I was see-sawing between this Vintage and a Mako. The Vintage won because of its features that will be described below...

Name:  2011%u0025252520Orient%252520Vintage.jpg
Views: 14561
Size:  77.9 KB
    I parted with $185 for this, and let me immediately say that it's truly a bang for your buck watch. Design wise, it's a poor man's Grand Seiko, Aqua Terra, Carrera or Seiko SARB. It's a "basic" watch, with Orient's signature power reserve indicator as an added feature. I like the modern 40mm (excluding crown) case size which is just right on my wrist. Personally, I find watches below 38mm to be too vintage looking. 38-40mm is perfect for this day and age. The Vintage has a dressy, thin case profile. It's the perfect tool for cubicle drones and is just the thing to peek on shirt cuffs. It's light and comfortable on the wrist too.

Name:  DSC02243.jpg
Views: 9949
Size:  120.8 KB
    I would be delusional to say that the workmanship and quality is comparable to Swiss megabrands. Realistically, it feels like an affordable swiss watch like a Certina DS-1, which is a compliment. The case and bracelet are prominently brushed and it's as if you can see each and every micro groove etched onto them. The bracelet is straight, not tapered which sets it apart from a Rolex, Omega or other watches inspired by them.

Name:  DSC02235.jpg
Views: 9946
Size:  95.2 KB
    I love the cleanly pressed and detailed Orient logo on the clasp, so much that it deserved its own macro shot for this review.

Name:  DSC02247.jpg
Views: 9746
Size:  77.8 KB
    The lugs are slightly tapered at the tips; a nice detail. In this shot you can again see the warm look if the deep, brushed finishing in the case. I also like how the bezel is saucer edged, enhancing the elegant mounted look on the case.

Name:  DSC02236.jpg
Views: 10115
Size:  120.8 KB
    Hard to see in this photo, but the movement has some light "cotes" swirls on it, not as elaborate as on a Swiss, but not as bare as a Seiko 7S26 either. The logo on the rotor weight is not only pressed, but silk-screened with 2 colors. The rotor twirls with the slightest pitch of the case (an Orient movement trait), so the watch winds up quickly.

Name:  DSC02250.jpg
Views: 13986
Size:  142.8 KB
    The dial has a pearlescent color, enhanced by three different guilloche patterns. The blued hands add some prestige, and it is noteworthy that the seconds hand is thinner than a human hair. Mounting it without bending it would seem to be an assembly line challenge. The
    beveled, polished and striped hour markers (usually found in more expensive pieces such as a Grand Seiko) twinkles and shimmers with the light that lands on them. There is so much shiny stuff in the dial that the whole "face" of the watch seems to glow. I am a sucker for symmetric dials so the location of the power reserve meter is in my favor. Lume on the hands is pathetic.

Quick conclusion: pictures don't do justice for the Vintage; it has a deceptively premium presence to it which have earned me (the wearer) a lot of double takes. And it has the quality to back up its great looks. I dare say that if I can only own one affordable watch, this would be it! It would make an excellent "office beater", if you will.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by typericey; October 22nd, 2011 at 09:03.
    Samwatch, daghoi, CitizenM and 6 others like this.

Latest:
    Zenith El Primero Vintage 1969 (re-issue)
    Rolex DSSD | Omega PO 8500
    | Rolex Precision
    6694 | Panerai PAM112N | Tudor Heritage Chrono and Black Bay (Burgundy) | Frederique Constant FC-306

Re: Another review: Orient Vintage FD0F001W

I have been eyeing this beauty for a while now. I keep buying other Orients, but this one is always at the forefront. I just bought a Ray, which is an awesome sport watch. I also have a Brazen which I bought on a whim that is also pretty neat. I will own one of these soon enough.

Thank you for your review, and great pics! No wrist shots?
    Mido | Helson | Longines

Quote Originally Posted by rsanz View Post
    I have been eyeing this beauty for a while now. I keep buying other Orients, but this one is always at the forefront. I just bought a Ray, which is an awesome sport watch. I also have a Brazen which I bought on a whim that is also pretty neat. I will own one of these soon enough.

Thank you for your review, and great pics! No wrist shots?
    I have a few using a lousy phone cam so the proportions are off and the watch appears large-ish. But it's actually a great fit on my 6.75" wrist.
    Name:  IMG-20111022-00113.jpg
Views: 8616
Size:  122.1 KB
    Name:  Las%u0025252520Pinas%252520City-20111022-00117.jpg
Views: 8025
Size:  110.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    CitizenM likes this.

Latest:
    | Rolex Precision
    6694 | Panerai PAM112N | Tudor Heritage Chrono and Black Bay (Burgundy) | Frederique Constant FC-306

Thanks for the review. Your pictures give a much better idea of what the watch actually looks like rather than the stock pictures on OWUSA. I'm seriously considering buying this.

What is the lug width? It is not listed on the website. Thanks.

I want this with the Brown leather band. Anyone with their own pics of such a watch?

These pictures sold me on the face. It looks great
    oddfellowmike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nmadd View Post
    What is the lug width? It is not listed on the website. Thanks.
    Good thing you asked because I measured it just now and it's and odd-sized 21mm, which would disappoint strap fans.

Latest:
    | Rolex Precision

Nice review of a nice watch. I think it would great on a brown band, too.
    ------------------------------
    Good Deals: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR,

I just picked one of these up. Still waiting for it to get here.

I would love to see how this one looks on a black strap.

The USA site says they only have 5 left.

Quote Originally Posted by Astropin View Post
    I just picked one of these up. Still waiting for it to get here.
    Astropin. Sorry to pick an old bone, but I can't help but ask if yours had arrived and for your comments on your acquisition.

Might provide me the much needed nudge needed to convince myself to make the purchase.

NICE WATCH, i got one too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information