Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Orient CFD0F001W Classic Power Reserve Sapphire Review

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Orient Senator or Vintage (FFD0F001W or CFD0F001W) Executive Power Reserve Review

Orient Senator or Vintage (FFD0F001W or CFD0F001W) Executive Power Reserve Review

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to timepieces, and purchased my first automatic watch last month. I've owned around 4-5 watches before but they were all fashionable, extreme sports/surfer styled watches (specifically Nixons). While they are very durable and keep time, I decided explore more mature watches as I am about to finish grad school. I am slowly developing an interest in Automatic timepieces and decided to purchase an Orient from my first salary as an intern. This review covers my thoughts and experiences with this watch after owning it for a month. Please excuse my amateur way of speaking of timepieces as I am still relatively new to the terms and lingo, but I'll try my best.

Specs:
    Based on other sites and sources...
    Names:
    Classic Automatic Power Reserve Sapphire Collection CFD0F001W
    Orient Sapphire Crystal Automatic Power Reserve "Orient Star" Style
    Orient FD0F001W
    Movement:
    Mechanical Movement : ORIENT caliber 46N45 Made in Japan
    Self-winding movement
    21 jewels
    21600/hour vibrations
    Case:
    40 mm x 11.70 mm thickness (excluding crown)
    43 mm x 11.70 mm thickness (including crown)
    Stainless steel case
    Sapphire crystal
    Screw see-through caseback with Itemized hologram (crystal glass)
    Stainless steel bracelet
    Water resistant to 50m
    Dial:
    Textured White Dial
    Bluesteel Luminous Hands
    Power Reserve Indicator at 12 O'Clock
    Date Calendar at 3 O'Clock
    Bracelet:
    Stainless Steel Bracelet with 2 Pushed-In Button Clasps
    Weight: 155g

I am currently based in Manila, Philippines right now and purchased the watch at a local Orient brick-and-mortar dealer. I got the watch for a surprisingly affordable bargain for only $197USD (P8,700) due to discounts for all Orient models at the time of purchase. This watch is quite rare and I've only seen a few online retailers selling the model, and prices range from around $250-299USD (in European and American retailers).

Packaging:
    I was very amazed at the packaging. I thought that due to the affordability of this brand, Orient would package them in an affordable manner as well, but the boxing was top-notch. The box was of course made of solid leather material with metal-finished front plating and bolts.

The interior of the box held the watch safe in place and had a very luxurious feel to it.

Face/Dial
    The face of this watch has a very classy, sophisticated look.

The dial is textured with three different patterned designs. From afar and certain angles, the face looks like its pure white (seriously bone, pale nimbus, whatever you want to call it -white). But upon closer inspection, the outer rim of the dial is a circular-lined pattern, while the interior has a diamond, fabric-like pattern, and the power reserve meter is composed of a ripple, tassel-like pattern. Very intricate design and quality-inspection put into this dial.

The indexes are all chromed (like the CEX0R001W reviewed on these forums), but instead are embossed rectangles, with doubles at the 12 O'Clock (similar to Tag Carreras). What I like about these are how their angles seriously glimmer and shine when reflected upon. However, at certain times of the day, mixed with the white background they are harder to see from afar. But this is where the hands come in.

The hands are a chromed-midnight blue color which changes hue according to light conditions. From certain angles, they look as dark as black, while from angles against the light, they are chrome blue. They are constructed with triangular strips of lume (bluesteel lume according to some sites) and have very fine pointed edges that help with the precision of telling time. The seconds hand is the usual pin-styled one, but is also blue making it easy to spot.

The date window is also very visible under typical conditions with its chromed border and shifts between 9-12pm, just the right time of the day.

Power Reserve Indicator:
    The Power Reserve indicator is very pleasing to the eyes, but at the same time is just as functional. It goes over 40 hours (probably around 42), and is very accurate. It takes me only about 30-40 seconds to wind the watch (by gently moving it from side-to-side) up to 10 hours. I have never tried fully winding to 40 hours by shaking it. It takes 8 hours by wearing the watch for a full recharge.

Dial Border:
    The dial has a separate layer for numerical indicators that is embossed and slightly concave to the dial itself. It gives increments of 5 and is very useful for counting seconds of minutes.

Case/Crown/Crystal:
    The case is quite wide and big for a watch with basic features. It measures 40mm without the crown and adds around 3mm with it. However, due to its slim profile, it is very comfortable to wear. It is quite heavy (but not as heavy as my Nixon All Black SS Rover), but lies very flat on the surface of your wrist. The steel outline of the case takes up very minimal space causing the face to be of utmost priority when viewing. An interesting thing to note is that I have already accidentally hit my watch against one of those pedestrian rails at a department store. I nicked the lower of area of the case, but it is not so visible.

The crown is not signed and has two functions for date and time. The third hand does not stop when you set the time (something new I learned for automatic watches).

The sapphire crystal on the front is flat and not domed.

Movement:
    The watch uses an Orient in-house movement. In practical use, it gained around 3-4 minutes after a week. I'm still getting used to automatics not being as accurate as quartz movement watches. Also, the third hand is fluid at times, but is not as smooth as I thought it would be. Sometimes I see it smoothly moving, then stopping for a millisecond, then resuming. Not that it is noticeable from afar, but it is still quite different from expensive Swiss ETA movements I've seen which are very smooth.

The case in the back is see-through which looks awesome, and is made of mineral, rather than sapphire.

Water Resistance:
    For a casual and semi-formal watch, 50m is enough. I've brought this watch in rainy weather and usual hand washing. So far so good on the WR.

Bracelet and Clasp:
    The bracelet is very solidly built. The watch was originally set with 7 links on the 6 o'clock and 8 links on the 12 o'clock which was very huge for my somewhat-small 7-inch wrists. I had four taken out, so I have 5 on the 6 o'clock and 6 links on the 12. It fits very well. It is quite tight at times but still very movable. I can still fit my pinky finger under the clasp with effort. Also, the connectors to the case look exactly like the links, extending them in a camouflage manner. So it actually looks like you have one extra half-link even though its already the connector.

The clasp is very well-constructed and the push-buttons are secure. I love the design of the interior of the clasp having a hollowed-out middle portion. It make it look as expensive as Swiss watches that use the same clasp design/functionality. The clasp is signed with the Orient emblem and name. The clasp also has two fine-adjustment pinholes which can be of use for fine-tuning the fit on your wrist.

The Lume:
    The lume is very weak compared to my Nixons and my Timex Expedition. However, for a classy watch like this, it can be disregarded as I probably won't be using this watch in rugged terrain.

Conclusion:
    Overall, I recommend this watch to anyone seeking a classy, sophisticated semi-formal and business-looking watch with a robust build. Orient has definitely pulled it off again with this affordable, yet elegant and functional timepiece. Of course, I would have wanted the lume to be more powerful, but then again, the rest of the qualities make up for this. The Power Reserve is definitely a feature I admire so much since it adds a new dimension to simple time-telling. It adds the factors of checking how much you are recharging your watch, and the life it has from your movement. This is a watch I'd probably be wearing until I work and get job interviews.

Thanks WUS and Orient!

Last edited by davevv; March 31st, 2011 at 09:47. Reason: Updating name and model number of the watch.
    mitadoc and asingh1977 like this.

Re: Orient CFD0F001W Classic Power Reserve Sapphire Review

This is a great review! Very thorough. We're glad you're happy with your watch & the pictures look great. Congrats on finishing grad school & good luck with finding a job!

Quote Originally Posted by davevv View Post
    Orient CFD0F001W Classic Power Reserve Sapphire Review

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to timepieces, and purchased my first automatic watch last month. I've owned around 4-5 watches before but they were all fashionable, extreme sports/surfer styled watches (specifically Nixons). While they are very durable and keep time, I decided explore more mature watches as I am about to finish grad school. I am slowly developing an interest in Automatic timepieces and decided to purchase an Orient from my first salary as an intern. This review covers my thoughts and experiences with this watch after owning it for a month. Please excuse my amateur way of speaking of timepieces as I am still relatively new to the terms and lingo, but I'll try my best.

Specs:
    Based on other sites and sources...
    Names:
    Classic Automatic Power Reserve Sapphire Collection CFD0F001W
    Orient Sapphire Crystal Automatic Power Reserve "Orient Star" Style
    Orient FD0F001W
    Movement:
    Mechanical Movement : ORIENT caliber 46N45 Made in Japan
    Self-winding movement
    21 jewels
    21600/hour vibrations
    Case:
    40 mm x 11.70 mm thickness (excluding crown)
    43 mm x 11.70 mm thickness (including crown)
    Stainless steel case
    Sapphire crystal
    Screw see-through caseback with Itemized hologram (crystal glass)
    Stainless steel bracelet
    Water resistant to 50m
    Dial:
    Textured White Dial
    Bluesteel Luminous Hands
    Power Reserve Indicator at 12 O'Clock
    Date Calendar at 3 O'Clock
    Bracelet:
    Stainless Steel Bracelet with 2 Pushed-In Button Clasps
    Weight: 155g

I am currently based in Manila, Philippines right now and purchased the watch at a local Orient brick-and-mortar dealer. I got the watch for a surprisingly affordable bargain for only $197USD (P8,700) due to discounts for all Orient models at the time of purchase. This watch is quite rare and I've only seen a few online retailers selling the model, and prices range from around $250-299USD (in European and American retailers).

Packaging:
    I was very amazed at the packaging. I thought that due to the affordability of this brand, Orient would package them in an affordable manner as well, but the boxing was top-notch. The box was of course made of solid leather material with metal-finished front plating and bolts.

The interior of the box held the watch safe in place and had a very luxurious feel to it.

Face/Dial
    The face of this watch has a very classy, sophisticated look.

The dial is textured with three different patterned designs. From afar and certain angles, the face looks like its pure white (seriously bone, pale nimbus, whatever you want to call it -white). But upon closer inspection, the outer rim of the dial is a circular-lined pattern, while the interior has a diamond, fabric-like pattern, and the power reserve meter is composed of a ripple, tassel-like pattern. Very intricate design and quality-inspection put into this dial.

The indexes are all chromed (like the CEX0R001W reviewed on these forums), but instead are embossed rectangles, with doubles at the 12 O'Clock (similar to Tag Carreras). What I like about these are how their angles seriously glimmer and shine when reflected upon. However, at certain times of the day, mixed with the white background they are harder to see from afar. But this is where the hands come in.

The hands are a chromed-midnight blue color which changes hue according to light conditions. From certain angles, they look as dark as black, while from angles against the light, they are chrome blue. They are constructed with triangular strips of lume (bluesteel lume according to some sites) and have very fine pointed edges that help with the precision of telling time. The seconds hand is the usual pin-styled one, but is also blue making it easy to spot.

The date window is also very visible under typical conditions with its chromed border and shifts between 9-12pm, just the right time of the day.

Power Reserve Indicator:
    The Power Reserve indicator is very pleasing to the eyes, but at the same time is just as functional. It goes over 40 hours (probably around 42), and is very accurate. It takes me only about 30-40 seconds to wind the watch (by gently moving it from side-to-side) up to 10 hours. I have never tried fully winding to 40 hours by shaking it. It takes 8 hours by wearing the watch for a full recharge.

Dial Border:
    The dial has a separate layer for numerical indicators that is embossed and slightly concave to the dial itself. It gives increments of 5 and is very useful for counting seconds of minutes.

Case/Crown/Crystal:
    The case is quite wide and big for a watch with basic features. It measures 40mm without the crown and adds around 3mm with it. However, due to its slim profile, it is very comfortable to wear. It is quite heavy (but not as heavy as my Nixon All Black SS Rover), but lies very flat on the surface of your wrist. The steel outline of the case takes up very minimal space causing the face to be of utmost priority when viewing. An interesting thing to note is that I have already accidentally hit my watch against one of those pedestrian rails at a department store. I nicked the lower of area of the case, but it is not so visible.

The crown is not signed and has two functions for date and time. The third hand does not stop when you set the time (something new I learned for automatic watches).

The sapphire crystal on the front is flat and not domed.

Movement:
    The watch uses an Orient in-house movement. In practical use, it gained around 3-4 minutes after a week. I'm still getting used to automatics not being as accurate as quartz movement watches. Also, the third hand is fluid at times, but is not as smooth as I thought it would be. Sometimes I see it smoothly moving, then stopping for a millisecond, then resuming. Not that it is noticeable from afar, but it is still quite different from expensive Swiss ETA movements I've seen which are very smooth.

The case in the back is see-through which looks awesome, and is made of mineral, rather than sapphire.

Water Resistance:
    For a casual and semi-formal watch, 50m is enough. I've brought this watch in rainy weather and usual hand washing. So far so good on the WR.

Bracelet and Clasp:
    The bracelet is very solidly built. The watch was originally set with 7 links on the 6 o'clock and 8 links on the 12 o'clock which was very huge for my somewhat-small 7-inch wrists. I had four taken out, so I have 5 on the 6 o'clock and 6 links on the 12. It fits very well. It is quite tight at times but still very movable. I can still fit my pinky finger under the clasp with effort. Also, the connectors to the case look exactly like the links, extending them in a camouflage manner. So it actually looks like you have one extra half-link even though its already the connector.

The clasp is very well-constructed and the push-buttons are secure. I love the design of the interior of the clasp having a hollowed-out middle portion. It make it look as expensive as Swiss watches that use the same clasp design/functionality. The clasp is signed with the Orient emblem and name. The clasp also has two fine-adjustment pinholes which can be of use for fine-tuning the fit on your wrist.

The Lume:
    The lume is very weak compared to my Nixons and my Timex Expedition. However, for a classy watch like this, it can be disregarded as I probably won't be using this watch in rugged terrain.

Conclusion:
    Overall, I recommend this watch to anyone seeking a classy, sophisticated semi-formal and business-looking watch with a robust build. Orient has definitely pulled it off again with this affordable, yet elegant and functional timepiece. Of course, I would have wanted the lume to be more powerful, but then again, the rest of the qualities make up for this. The Power Reserve is definitely a feature I admire so much since it adds a new dimension to simple time-telling. It adds the factors of checking how much you are recharging your watch, and the life it has from your movement. This is a watch I'd probably be wearing until I work and get job interviews.

Thanks WUS and Orient!

Great watch dude
    PULSAR- 5M42 Kinetic, CASIO- Protrek PRG 70, CASIO- Protrek PRG 100, TIMEX- T2M517 Automatic

Why can't I find this on orientwatchusa.com?
    Alba | Bernhardt | Christopher Ward | Citizen | Deep Blue | Fossil | Maratac | Orient | Sea-Gull | Seiko | Timex | Tissot

Hey theague. Sorry for the late reply as I haven't checked WUS in a while. Anyways, my Orient's model came out early 2009, when Orient released a series of classic automatic timepieces resembling Orient Star models as seen in this forum. While the release of the CFD0F001W was supposedly international, I guess it came quite late into American shores. It is actually currently available already but under a different product name and code: The Senator (FFD0F001W). Currently retails for $460 with tons of freebies. Check it out here. Comes in a leather strap or with a black dial too. If you consider purchasing it and have any pre-purchase questions, just let me know. I've been enjoying this timepiece since the day I bought it.

Fantastic pictures!

Does this model handwind? It would be perfect if it did.
    Tag Heuer Monaco, Mido Multifort, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern MkII

Hey WillMK5. It's been awhile since I've visited these forums. Thanks for the comment! Sadly, this model is a Japanese automatic that does not hand wind. You wind it by slowly shaking from side-to-side (similar to most other Orients and Seikos). However, Orient has been releasing a few hand wound models like the 60th Anniversary Edition SDT00001S. Hope they make more in the future.

What about the accuracy? It still keeps 3-4 minutes a week?
    PULSAR- 5M42 Kinetic, CASIO- Protrek PRG 70, CASIO- Protrek PRG 100, TIMEX- T2M517 Automatic

Hey zapiao. Actually, after wearing it for a few months now, it actually gains 3-4 minutes a month. My mistake to assume so early that it was 3-4 minutes per week. Anyways, you can prob conclude how much per week, but yeah, from observing my watch, it usually gains 3-4 minutes per month.

Quote Originally Posted by davevv View Post
    Hey zapiao. Actually, after wearing it for a few months now, it actually gains 3-4 minutes a month. My mistake to assume so early that it was 3-4 minutes per week. Anyways, you can prob conclude how much per week, but yeah, from observing my watch, it usually gains 3-4 minutes per month.
    My Timex it gains the same amount almost a year late

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information