MKII Accuracy Survey - Page 4
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: MKII Accuracy Survey

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: MKII Accuracy Survey

both of my Kingstons are running about 3-4 seconds slow/24 hours. I leave them dial up at nght, and they both are keeping consistent time, so I'm satisfied.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Quote Originally Posted by Fullers1845 View Post
    I always keep this reference handy. Sadly it's not helping my Kingston much at the moment.

Tapatalk
    That's a pretty big sudden change. I'm wondering if by some chance your watch got magnetized. That will play havoc with accuracy, and it's a pretty easy fix to demagnetize it.

I had and even weirder experience today. i put my vintage Doxa 300T on for the first time since sending it off to have the hands relumed (old lume was flaking off). Before I sent it off, it was running OK. This morning I set it before work, around 6:30 AM , well at around 8:20 one of the Nurses in the OR asked me what time it was, as Anesthesia is the official timekeeper in the OR, I told her "It's 9:08," She said "That's not right"! Sure enough I looked at the clock on my monitor, 8:21. I thought, maybe I mis- set my watch this morning, so I reset it. By 9:00 (real time) It was showing 9:16, so in an hour, it had gained 16 minutes. I asked a few friends who are watchmakers what they thought the problem was and several thought the hairspring had gotten stuck and wasn't uncoiling uniformly. I thought it might be magnetized, but they told me that magnetizing would not make it run away like a scalded dog. They told me that if it was magnetized, it would vary a couple of minutes a day, but not 16-20 minutes per hour.
    Divers - Pre Sub Doxa 300m Dive Watch - Doxa Sub 300T Professional (US Divers) - Ocean7 LM-7 Ploprof - Ocean7 LM-7 Plorof Pro Titanium -Rolex 1665 SD-Rolex 1680 -Rolex 16610 Submariner - MKII Stingray 60 - MKII Kingston Gilt/non date - MKII Kingston Gilt/Date - Orthos 300 Commander
    Others- MKII Key West GMT(on the way) - Rolex GMT 16750 - IWC Calatrava - Ocean7 LM-5 GMT- Maurice Lacroix Calendrier Retrograde - Longines Hour Angle Lindberg - Tudor "Big Block" Chrono

Myla's Favorite's Doxa Sub 200 Coralline, Omega Seamaster 120 - Rolex Datejust 18k/SS - Chronosport Panther - Maurice Lacroix - Omega 14k Mesh - Tag Heuer TT Aquaracer

Yep. It's magnetized. Shoot. Took it to Fast Fix Jewelry and Watch Repair and the dude looked at me like I was crazy when I talked about magnetization.

Wonder if I should find a real watchmaker or just order a $15 demag tool off ebay...

longstride likes this.
    Homage watches democratize history for the common wrist.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Cheers! James

Well, after 4 days, she's running just 2 seconds fast. She was +6 yesterday, but then I set it crown down last night instead of my normal crown up, and that seems to have slowed it down a bit.

I love this watch.

Nerd phone -> Tapatalk2
    Haves: Key West | U-2 | Kingston | 3572 | Vantage | 856
    Dreams:
    X-33 SE | Speedyorite | BLNR | Weltzeit | DC86 | Type 1 | A-13A HA

Banned

Into eight months since new my Mk II Milsub LRRP HRV is running about 5 sec slow per 16-hour day on the wrist. Setting it dial up at night adds about a second.

Yep. It's magnetized. Shoot. Took it to Fast Fix Jewelry and Watch Repair and the dude looked at me like I was crazy when I talked about magnetization.

Wonder if I should find a real watchmaker or just order a $15 demag tool off ebay...
    Recently someone wrote that they had asked a clerk in a checkout line at the store to swipe his watch over the anti-magnetizing pad on the counter (that pad they use to deactivate anti-theft devices before you walk out of the store). Apparently it did the trick. Just an idea.
    marchone likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JCW1980 View Post
    Recently someone wrote that they had asked a clerk in a checkout line at the store to swipe his watch over the anti-magnetizing pad on the counter (that pad they use to deactivate anti-theft devices before you walk out of the store). Apparently it did the trick. Just an idea.
    Hmmm... I went ahead & ordered the machine. Stay tuned...

Tapatalk

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Cheers! James

FWIW, I've been watching my new Kingston. Setting it to the USNO java atomic clock app.[1] On the winder, it seems to gain about 7 seconds in 5 days (yeah, holy cats that's good). I believe normal wear can effect timing, so I've been wearing it for the past day, off for 6 hours overnight, and it seems to have gained ... nothing, maybe a 1/2 second or so.

IOW ... "Dayam, Bill, righteous #*@ &%$~ regulation!"

[1] The official U.S. time - clock
    JFingers likes this.
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Hmmm... I went ahead & ordered the machine. Stay tuned...

Tapatalk
    Update: Got my $15 ebay demagnetizer (shipped from Egypt of all places), applied it to my Kingston according to the guy's instructions that did the youtube video about de-maging his Orange Monster, and voila! My Kingston is running right at -1sec/day. Win!

Tapatalk
    heebs and JFingers like this.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Cheers! James

Quote Originally Posted by Chromejob View Post
    ... I believe normal wear can effect timing, so I've been wearing it for the past day, off for 6 hours overnight, and it seems to have gained ... nothing, maybe a 1/2 second or so.

[1] The official U.S. time - clock
    Day two and ... on the night table (crown up) after being worn most of the day and (drum roll) ... it's barely gained a second. A second in two days, that's within one of the COSC criteria IIRC (there are more I believe). Making this the most accurate automatic I own. I now understand the fervor of the MKII owners club members.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information