MKII Accuracy Survey - Page 8
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: MKII Accuracy Survey

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: MKII Accuracy Survey

Losing a minute a month? 60 seconds in 30 days?! That's - 2 seconds a day. That's not a magnetized watch, that's a watch running well within COSC specs!

Accuracy is enhanced when a watch is kept fully wound, which would explain you seeing an increase in accuracy. However, winding an ETA automatic movement is a bit controversial with some people saying that doing so will bugger something up! I tend NOT to wind any of my automatics but not because I have any insider knowledge, it's just out of an abundance of caution!

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowdrive View Post
    I've been paying more attention recently to the accuracy of my Nassau and was a little worried about losing a full minute (sometimes more) over the course of a month. I haven't yet checked to see if it's a magnetic issue, though after perusing this thread it's the likely culprit.
    About a week ago, I started getting in the habit of manually winding my watch every morning in preparation for my next watch purchase (a manual-only piece) and noticed a dramatic improvement in the accuracy; +/- a couple seconds a day. Has anyone else worked in a few manual turns to their automatic movement? I've still got to do some more testing on this piece, but it's a huge relief to see such a dramatic difference.
    heebs, OmegaCosmicMan and Aceldama like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
    I tend NOT to wind any of my automatics but not because I have any insider knowledge, it's just out of an abundance of caution!
    I do the same. Before I wear a watch, I'll give it a few swirls, set it, then put it on a winder for at least a full day. I honestly don't think a full wind hurts the movement and I'll wind it a full 40 times if I want to wear it immediately.

But I do notice that a non- fully wound watch is not as accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

The mainspring is the power source or power storage for the watch mechanism. It will have it's most consistent release of energy after it is fully charged or wound.

As to manually winding your automatics, it is true that some movements are more forgiving, and some are less durable than others when it comes to the winding mechanism. I have four 2824's that have broken at one time or another because of weakness in the manual-winding side. I have read that the 2836's are much more durable in that respect....

-- Best --
    Aceldama likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post
    I have read that the 2836's are much more durable in that respect....
    Interesting and good to know. My Paradive with a 2836 runs much better after being wound up.
    300m MKII
    200m
    Bathys / Casio / Halios / MWW / Seiko
    50m BOLDR
    0m CWC / Undone

Wrist 6.5" flat

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowdrive View Post
    I've been paying more attention recently to the accuracy of my Nassau and was a little worried about losing a full minute (sometimes more) over the course of a month. I haven't yet checked to see if it's a magnetic issue, though after perusing this thread it's the likely culprit.
    About a week ago, I started getting in the habit of manually winding my watch every morning in preparation for my next watch purchase (a manual-only piece) and noticed a dramatic improvement in the accuracy; +/- a couple seconds a day. Has anyone else worked in a few manual turns to their automatic movement? I've still got to do some more testing on this piece, but it's a huge relief to see such a dramatic difference.
    I wouldn't. I was winding my Kingston a little then the crown acted a little funny pulling it out. Someone said the keyless works might've been damaged. Since then I've been gentle -- no manual winding -- and it's been okay.

All my auto watches, particularly the Mk IIs, have been fine with a few gentle swirls and onto the wrist. The Mk IIs often start up when I pick them up, from a stopped state. That's a hallmark of really well done timepieces. Regular movement ought to get the watch properly wound IMHO, no artificial help needed. YMMV.
    harrym71 and OmegaCosmicMan like this.
    Hidden Content

MK II Kingston "Bond"; Key West "Pussy Galore"; Nassau 3-6-9; Graywater GMT. O&W M4, M5. Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC MilSub mod. Tissot TXL Digital7.

My Hawkinge no date loses 8 to 10 seconds over 24 hours. This has been a consistent over my period of ownership, during the past six months. I would much rather have it regulated to slightly gain time. It would make life much easier to sync it, every couple of days.
    longstride and dlee525 like this.

My Stingray has actually gained 3-5 seconds per day. Overall performance has been outstanding. My favorite homage watch.

My Nassau seems to have been losing more time than usual, though I've never *carefully* timed it before. I recently wore it for 5 weeks straight and didn't notice any appreciable time loss (though wasn't looking for it), but over the past week while wearing it, I've noticed that its losing ~15-20 seconds per day. I checked the sheet that came with it and it looks like it runs slow when the crown is up, and fast when crown is down. I wonder - could this be because I wear it on my right arm? Are watches adjusted to be worn on a particular wrist, or am I just grasping at straws for an explanation?

Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

Quote Originally Posted by Omegatron24 View Post
    My Nassau seems to have been losing more time than usual, though I've never *carefully* timed it before. I recently wore it for 5 weeks straight and didn't notice any appreciable time loss (though wasn't looking for it), but over the past week while wearing it, I've noticed that its losing ~15-20 seconds per day. I checked the sheet that came with it and it looks like it runs slow when the crown is up, and fast when crown is down. I wonder - could this be because I wear it on my right arm? Are watches adjusted to be worn on a particular wrist, or am I just grasping at straws for an explanation?
    The watch is designed to be worn and kept wound automatically by movement through a variety of orientations and positions, and I would guess on either hand - it shouldn't make an appreciable or significant difference.

I think I would make sure it is fully wound and then time it, with the crown up; say, place it stationary with the crown up for eight hours or so, and then compare that result to the sheet.

In the time in-betweeen, How old is the watch, and how much has it been actually in use on your (or someones) wrist, or on a winder, since it was new?

Has it ever been dropped, or banged around, i.e. subjected to a 'sudden shock'? Any dings in the steel?

Exposed to vibrating machinery, like operating a jack hammer (or even a jig-saw) with your watch on at the time?

I pay attention to the way my watches keep time, and if there is an increasing variation over several days or a week's time, especially if the watch may have been damaged by a fall or shock, or when it has been four or five years (or more) since it was new or last serviced, then it is probably time to visit the watch doctor.

Based on my experience with a number of MKII's watches, the loss you have mentioned is 'outside the norm'.

--- Best Wishes ---

Thanks very much for the reply!
    The watch has not been dropped or banged, and I have a desk job for the most part, so nothing out of the ordinary there. I take it off when I do anything that might as scratch / ding / bang it. I'm the only owner - bought it in 2014 - and have about 3 watches in my usual rotation, but favor this one, so I've given it lots of wear. Despite the fact that I can't think of any exact point at which it may have been damaged, it does seem to be a recent thing. Maybe a service is required.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information