Like Tree4Likes

Thread: MKII Project Thermocompensated Quartz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: MKII Project Thermocompensated Quartz

I remain interested in something like this.

If I recall correctly, the cost was looking a bit high.

Quote Originally Posted by austinnh View Post
    I remain interested in something like this.

If I recall correctly, the cost was looking a bit high.
    For something more niche than even Bill's "standard" custom automatics, yes it would cost more. But I'm willing to pay the extra funds for what I think would be a true instrument.

Reviving and old thread to see of there's any interest.

I really like the new Paradive with its new dimensions, sterile dial and HRV. It would make one heck of a long term accuracy tool watch. In a no-date version I would only have to touch the crown twice a year: daylight savings.

Paradive with ETA Thermoline thermo-compensated movement?

Paradive with decent ETA quartz movement?

Paradive with a 10 year life Rhonda movement?

Still interested. I think the issue was that ETA thermo-compensated movements could only be sold as chronometers, with a premium price. Something like that.

A thermo-compensated quartz at MkII prices would be a quick purchase for me. Like you said, only have to touch the crown twice a year.

My preference is usually for smaller watches than the Paradive. That said, biggish quartz watches are somewhat scarce, so a quartz watch in a paradive case could enjoy demand from people who previously had very few options.

Quote Originally Posted by austinnh View Post
    Still interested. I think the issue was that ETA thermo-compensated movements could only be sold as chronometers, with a premium price. Something like that.

A thermo-compensated quartz at MkII prices would be a quick purchase for me. Like you said, only have to touch the crown twice a year.

My preference is usually for smaller watches than the Paradive. That said, biggish quartz watches are somewhat scarce, so a quartz watch in a paradive case could enjoy demand from people who previously had very few options.
    So they would have to be assembled in Switzerland like the pre-made Paradives?

I really don't have a dog in the fight, but as long as we are talking a slimmer profile, more functionality oriented watch, what about a titanium case and some sort of souped up lume? Honestly, something in between the Blackwater and Paradive case sizes, and with a significantly lowered profile, would be a good fit for lots of users. Throw in an extremely long life battery for the "grab & go" situations and it gets even better. Now, if youi add souped up lume (though hopefully NOT the mint green tinted C3 - I know Seiko and Omega manage the C3 in an off white tint somehow), and make it out of titanium for extremely light weight and no worries, ever, about corrosion, and it starts to look like an almost ideal backpacking watch from where I sit. A tritium gas tube option for hands and markers might make it even better, though I bet that would complicate the whole manufacturing process too much for Bill.

But that's just me, I am still doing fine with my Seamaster on rubber or nylon strap when I get out in the woods - low profile, but plenty of dial area, and the best lume on the block.

I will say though, the price has to be lower than the automatics, as well as a trimmer case profile, if it's quartz; I doubt too many people will line up to buy a standard Paradive sized watch, at the same price, with a quartz movement. In that scenario, most would then opt for the auto version instead, just human perception and the economics of resale values. Besides, I got the impression you guys were talking about a watch that you wouldn't be too worried about dinging up, purchase and replacement price plays a big role in that.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02 worth, YMMV.
    JOHN

I don't have a fascination with lume. I know many people do and I don't know why. In 16 years of EMS work, some of those on the midnight shift, I never once thought, "Gee, I wish I had more lume!".

And as far as a quartz costing less, if Bill could deliver a thermo-compensated movement, I'd pay the $1750 and more. CNC case, excellent bezel, sterile dial, easy to read hands, HRV, double domed sapphire AND a therm-compensated quartz movement with a 10 year battery life? Yup, I'd pay more that $1750.

The new Breitling Colt 44 Super Quartz is $3150. I would not buy it. Same money would got to an MKII Paradive with a TC quartz movement.

A Paradive or even a Blackwater case with a TC quartz movement would be killer. I would buy one as long as it was less than 2k.
    enkidu likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Don

Good point on the Breitling. As for lume, I like being able to read my watch easily when I wake up at 4:00 AM, in a place where there just ain't any light to be had. The tritium gas tubes are nice because they still glow, even if your watch was stuck under a jacket sleeve all day. Of course they do fade out after a few years.
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by dbrad95 View Post
    A Paradive or even a Blackwater case with a TC quartz movement would be killer. I would buy one as long as it was less than 2k.
    The Paradive with a TC movement would probably be one of the most unique time pieces out there. I don't know if it could be made for 2k. If Bill said yes but there were only 10 takers it might be a costly limited edition piece.

He once explained to me, if I recall correctly, that a new case (internals) would need to be designed for a particular quartz movement. So, using existing Paradive cases would not work.

Personally, I would prefer the dive minute bezel. At work and at home it gets used more than several times a day.

I would also be fie with a standard high quality quartz movement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information