Project 300: Case back design - Page 3
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Project 300: Case back design

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Project 300: Case back design

This thread hasn't been updated in a while, what about an using a graphical representation of the international signal flag "Alfa" that ships use to alert other vessels that they've got a diver underwater:

Name:  DF71-1-21-large.jpg
Views: 2240
Size:  46.6 KB

If that's too plain, perhaps it could be depicted flapping in the breeze or it could serve as a background to another image, like so (the shark is just an example i
    I found):

Name:  alpha_dive_flag_collection_card-p137884240337068677qi0i_400.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  17.5 KB
    Last edited by ljb187; August 5th, 2011 at 23:20.
    Dzunz001 likes this.

Am I the only one out there that does not care for the circular serpent/dragon design in its current form? It reminds me of a tattoo template (I apologize if this is offensive to anyone with a dragon tattoo).

I prefer the designs with an overtly nautical/diver theme, especially the designs that include the diver's helmet.

Thanks guys.

Agreed.

It's not just the disrespect to actual special forces operators. I've always thought that guys wearing "Navy SEAL" gear and the like when they weren't in fact ever SEALS was a bit pathetic, like a teenager who thinks he knows about war because he played "Metal Gear" in his mom's basement or something.

Quote Originally Posted by chris7013 View Post
    Sorry to double post but I also agree with the use of special ops / forces. It should not be included in any way shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent108 View Post
    Agreed.

It's not just the disrespect to actual special forces operators. I've always thought that guys wearing "Navy SEAL" gear and the like when they weren't in fact ever SEALS was a bit pathetic, like a teenager who thinks he knows about war because he played "Metal Gear" in his mom's basement or something.
    Or like people who wear Kingstons without licenses to kill?

Quote Originally Posted by ggray830 View Post
    Am I the only one out there that does not care for the circular serpent/dragon design in its current form? It reminds me of a tattoo template (I apologize if this is offensive to anyone with a dragon tattoo).

I prefer the designs with an overtly nautical/diver theme, especially the designs that include the diver's helmet.

Thanks guys.
    i don't care for that particular dragon myself, I also think it's overdone. the original is really a more simple dragon or even just a snake (which is what i prefer).

I do love the idea of the ouroboros, though. They're always depicted as a serpent of some sort eating its own tail. It represents going in a cycle or to a full circle. Constantly recreating and eternally returning to the same point. It's very similar to the rebirth of a phoenix. It can also represent unity

I'm not sure how the flag will reproduce on the caseback. I'm torn between the idea of an ornate caseback and an austere more military style caseback. I like the diver's face with mask and rebreather or regulator, but want to avoid any special forces connotation. Perhaps a 1960's style mask + regulator? With crossed keyboards, representing the online/computer forum nature of the birth?
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

For better or for worse, three more options.

1) Haven't fleshed it out yet, but picture MKII's logo comprised of the girders and other components in a rig, platform or other sub-sea structure. A few smallish divers could be placed in strategic locations working on the "logo/structure". An extra flourish could be to treat the flame or arc of the "welds" with a gold plating or PVD coating

2) An engraving of a clearance diver emerging from the water (add a Seamaster 300 of course!):

Name:  royal-Navy-Clearance-Divers-Life-Support-Equipment-CDLSE.jpg
Views: 4086
Size:  82.1 KB

3)
    Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    I'm not sure how the flag will reproduce on the case back. I'm torn between the idea of an ornate case back and an austere more military style case back...
    The blue could be suggested with by having multiple fine lines etched into that portion of the flag. Substitute the shark for the MKII logo and you'd have a case back that suits MKII's conservative/minimalist style:

Name:  alpha_dive_flag_collection_card-p137884240337068677qi0i_400.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  17.5 KB

I am a graphic designer and art director currently in the pharma world. We do this sort of thing all the time. From experience, I can say the best and most coherent logos come when our clients have a name and a particular brand strategy in mind. I am currently working on a logo for a drug that does not have a name. It is so much harder to get a great logo or mark when you can not tie it in with the name.

My suggestion for this would be to settle on a name (easier said then done) and then we can take a more direct approach with the logo.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

I agree completely and wholeheartedly. Thank you.

That is all.

Over and out.

Quote Originally Posted by chris7013 View Post
    Sorry to double post but I also agree with the use of special ops / forces. It should not be included in any way shape or form.

I have seen this jpeg on Wikipedia while looking up some terminology used here that I did not completely understand. It is of course suggestive of the Sea Monster logo that Omega has used forever, but it is not exactly the same. I don't even pretend to know about copyright and trademark law the way some of you might, but throw this in as another option to discuss or perhaps incorporate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information