Project 300: Case back design - Page 4
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Project 300: Case back design

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Project 300: Case back design

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post
    I have seen this jpeg on Wikipedia while looking up some terminology used here that I did not completely understand. It is of course suggestive of the Sea Monster logo that Omega has used forever, but it is not exactly the same. I don't even pretend to know about copyright and trademark law the way some of you might, but throw this in as another option to discuss or perhaps incorporate.
    That is, indeed, a creature called a Hippocamp (or Hippocampus, or Hippokampii) the legendary half horse-half fish of ancient mythology. And yes, it is the same creature that inhabits the back of the Omega Seamaster case. I'd say there's too much confusion for that one to be used on what is already an Omega homage. Nice idea though, and the Hippocamp is NOT the only mythical Sea Creature out there. Courtesy of the internet, here are a few more suggestions"

Cpotters

The Line-up:

Tudor 7928, Bunch of beat-up old Rolexes, MKII Custom Stingray 50, MKII LRRP, MKII TR-1000, MKII Kingston, Benrus Type I, Benrus Ultra-deep Super-compressor plus other super-Cs, 60's Zodiac Seawolfand Super Seawolf, Breitling Chronomat, ...

and lots of other vintage stuff.Hidden Content

Thanks Cpotters, I had actually looked up many of those, and was surprised to see that Capricorn was a mythical half goat-half sea creature being. (Guess that is where i was sleeping in school). Somehow having a watch that has a reference to a mythical goat doesn't get it for me. But the idea of some of those serpents or sea dragons is very intriguing, and coupled with the phoenix-idea of being devoured and reborn etc, the whole circular cycle fascinates, and that coupled with the way it could fit on the back, and make a border or frame of sorts for other designs has me thinking it will be a strong contender in the final decision. At least I hope so anyway.

Every time I read here I learn something new-Thanks again!

When the final design is set, I suggest including a matching key fob. With my modified Tiger Shark I can admire the design while keeping the watch on my wrist!
    Attached Images Attached Images

MHe225 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by garyscott
    When the final design is set, I suggest including a matching key fob. With my modified Tiger Shark I can admire the design while keeping the watch on my wrist!
    Nice! Wouldn't use a key fob, but a card protector/poker chip sized reproduction would be awesome for me. Just take your fob before drilling the hole and I'd love it.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by G-Junkie View Post
    i don't care for that particular dragon myself, I also think it's overdone. the original is really a more simple dragon or even just a snake (which is what i prefer).

I do love the idea of the ouroboros, though. They're always depicted as a serpent of some sort eating its own tail. It represents going in a cycle or to a full circle. Constantly recreating and eternally returning to the same point. It's very similar to the rebirth of a phoenix. It can also represent unity
    I think this idea has possibilities.....

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    This thread hasn't been updated in a while, what about an using a graphical representation of the international signal flag "Alfa" that ships use to alert other vessels that they've got a diver underwater:

Attachment 485492

If that's too plain, perhaps it could be depicted flapping in the breeze or it could serve as a background to another image, like so (the shark is just an example i
    I found):

Attachment 485494
    I think the flag in principle sounds good but I think it will not come through well in just engraving. It makes for a good story though.

The other option, now that we got the name settled, "Project 300" is to just keep it simple with a military like format of "just the facts ma'am" case back. If anyone has a pic of the Stingray case back that might work well for this project as well. So now that we got a name chosen are people leaning towards something graphic or something more austere?

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post
    I have seen this jpeg on Wikipedia while looking up some terminology used here that I did not completely understand. It is of course suggestive of the Sea Monster logo that Omega has used forever, but it is not exactly the same. I don't even pretend to know about copyright and trademark law the way some of you might, but throw this in as another option to discuss or perhaps incorporate.
    It would be interesting but too close to the bone I think.

I'm just throwing this out there, excuse me if anyone thinks it's blasphemous, but why not have a sapphire caseback to show off the movement?

An "Elabore grade Rhodium plated ETA 2824-2 decorated with Geneva stripes" is spec'd out.

I realize that it's not staying faithful to the original SM300, but why bother having Geneva stripes in a solid caseback watch?

The more I think about it, the more I think that fishes, snakes and flags aren't right for this type of bare-knuckles watch. I'd argue now that a simple MOD style case back would be more suitable and just as effective as something fancier (it might save MKII a few bucks too). To emphasis and enhance the simple nature of this idea I prefer the larger WWII style. Replace the pheon with MKII's logo, add the name of the watch (maybe even abbreviate it: Prj. 300 for added mystique), am "001/300" serial number and perhaps an issuing date and you're good-to-go!

Name:  MOD Caseback .jpg
Views: 909
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  MOD Caseback 2.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  11.0 KB
    Last edited by ljb187; April 28th, 2012 at 02:19.

yikeslookout said-
    I'm just throwing this out there, excuse me if anyone thinks it's blasphemous, but why not have a sapphire caseback to show off the movement?

An "Elabore grade Rhodium plated ETA 2824-2 decorated with Geneva stripes" is spec'd out.

I realize that it's not staying faithful to the original SM300, but why bother having Geneva stripes in a solid caseback watch?
    No, Thank You. This feature you have proposed sounds like another thing to break and/or leak to me. I would favor avoiding unnecessary features that would decrease or diminish the long-term durability of this watch.
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; April 28th, 2012 at 05:53.
    vandergl likes this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information