Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 13
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 270
  1. #121
    Member enkidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SFBay Area
    Posts
    2,149
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoris
    i am clearly unaware of some clear fact, which explains why on this particular watch its impossible to have a 42mm diameter and ~47-48mm lug to lug legth (just like its on my omega smp 2254.50). what is that reason?
    I believe that Bill is trying to be as true to the original SM300 case as possible and the dimensions being discussed follow the ratios of the original case (without being identical to prevent counterfeits being made with the project 300 case). Perhaps someone with an original could take some measurements.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

  2. #122
    Yao
    Yao is offline
    Sponsor Yao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

    Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    i am clearly unaware of some clear fact, which explains why on this particular watch its impossible to have a 42mm diameter and ~47-48mm lug to lug legth (just like its on my omega smp 2254.50). what is that reason?
    The original watch (based on the measurements from a NOS SM 300 I have here) are as noted in my initial post:

    Diameter: 40.40 mm
    Length (end of lug to lug): 47.95 mm

    If we stray too much from this ratio of length versus diameter the watch will no longer be what I believe you guys want the watch to be. That being said the length of the original is a bit on the long side but not so long you could increase the diameter 5% and keep the length the same without making a very strange version of the SM300. The SMP you note is just too different from a design perspective to use as a guide for the Project 300.
    tmoris likes this.

  3. #123
    Member Thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    GMT+1 zone
    Posts
    1,546

    Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

    I took out my venier caliper and sized up some of my watches. In no particular order:

    Watch - Width (in mm, without the crown) - Length (lug tip to lug tip)

    1. Kingston - 38.70 - 47.70
    2. Vantage - 38.80 - 47.95
    3. Stingray - 42.27 - 49.22
    4. Speedy - 41.47 - 47.36
    5. Seafighter - 42.70 - 49.00
    6. Seiko 6105-8000 - 41.11 - 48.04
    7 Seiko 6309-7049 - 43.45 - 45.30
    8 LRRP - 41.78 - 49.00

    Just for your information.

    Menno




    Dive watches; not only for underwater

  4. #124
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    835

    Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

    Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    I took out my venier caliper and sized up some of my watches. In no particular order:

    Watch - Width (in mm, without the crown) - Length (lug tip to lug tip)

    1. Kingston - 38.70 - 47.70
    2. Vantage - 38.80 - 47.95
    3. Stingray - 42.27 - 49.22
    4. Speedy - 41.47 - 47.36
    5. Seafighter - 42.70 - 49.00
    6. Seiko 6105-8000 - 41.11 - 48.04
    7 Seiko 6309-7049 - 43.45 - 45.30
    8 LRRP - 41.78 - 49.00

    Just for your information.

    Menno
    I thought the Kingston was 39.3mm diameter, is that the case included or at the bezel?
    Rich

  5. #125
    Member Thieuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    GMT+1 zone
    Posts
    1,546

    Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

    I thought the Kingston was 39.3mm diameter, is that the case included or at the bezel?
    Rich
    At the case.

    Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

  6. #126
    Member stew77's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,405

    Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

    I agree with Bill's comments above regarding the proportions, which are truly different than the more modern 2254.50 Seamaster (which btw, I also like very much!).

    I ran across this post here at WUS from username 'Flashharry' so all credit goes to him for the comparison pics that I have copied here for reference. Truly the best comparison shots I've seen with the Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 and the more modern 2254.50 Seamaster Pro. (Thanks Flashharry, who also states that his wrist size is 7.5").

    Post link:
    Old and New Seamaster 300's side by side











  7. #127
    Yao
    Yao is offline
    Sponsor Yao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

    Quote Originally Posted by stew77 View Post
    I agree with Bill's comments above regarding the proportions, which are truly different than the more modern 2254.50 Seamaster (which btw, I also like very much!).

    I ran across this post here at WUS from username 'Flashharry' so all credit goes to him for the comparison pics that I have copied here for reference. Truly the best comparison shots I've seen with the Vintage Omega Seamaster 300 and the more modern 2254.50 Seamaster Pro. (Thanks Flashharry, who also states that his wrist size is 7.5").

    Post link:
    Old and New Seamaster 300's side by side
    If you have to pin-point one reason that you can't transfer the dimensions from the old to the new it is the dial/case opening. The proportion of that opening to the diameter and the length of the watch also has to be preserved or at least kept within reason. Once that changes too much the watch probably won't be what you guys are looking for any more.

  8. #128
    Yao
    Yao is offline
    Sponsor Yao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

    By the way the survey responses are coming in nicely. We have the majority of the Plankowners (but not all.....so if you haven't taken the survey please do so as soon as you can) and a good number of responses from the "general" survey so keep 'em coming. I will keep the survey open through Sunday the 6th at the least. At that time I will see what the response rate is and see if we have enough responses to close the surveys and start working through the results.

  9. #129
    Yao
    Yao is offline
    Sponsor Yao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

    The survey's will be closed this weekend. Let's say midnight on Friday. I will have time to dice the information over weekend.

  10. #130
    Yao
    Yao is offline
    Sponsor Yao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

    Just an FYI we are still experimenting with a flat sapphire bezel insert with some back-up suppliers in case the primary supplier on the Project 300 drops the ball. There's nothing to indicate that the primary supplier can't do the job, quite the contrary, but I prefer to build redundancies into the supply chain.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •