Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 17
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

Thank you Bill, for the update. I think your ideas are great and will result in a fantastic watch that I will treasure. Thanks again and Happy New Year to all from Alaska!

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR View Post
    Bill, thanks for posting the numbers; I'm quite happy at how the survey turned out. I do have one question: for the thickness number, does this represent the thickness of just the case or the entire watch, including the crystal?
    That figure includes my estimate of the crystal height.

Sorry for the late reply - and I will get to the other questions by Tuesday if not sooner. I will be checking back in over the weekend. Its nearly 2.30 am right now and I have shipments to make on Saturday :D

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest that it was just as bright (it is an 8 second rear-curtain sync exposure, after all). Certainly the hands are much brighter but as far as these things go, it's not too bad at all. I just never thought of this as a major point of concern for the Paradive. It sounds like Bill is suggesting some alternative approach to bezel lume though, so perhaps it'll be better.
    I am trying to strive for a certain ideal. As tmoris suggested the hands and dial and bezel, ideally, should glow equally well. However this is in practice extremely difficult unless you can control all of the component manufacturers directly. The process we are testing has a good chance of making achieving the goal but its exceptionally expensive and could lead to extended delays by the nature of the supplier so they in practice may not be best solution on balance.

The Paradive dive inlay in sapphire comes very close to the ideal but it could be better. The effort required to achieve the final increment to make it "perfect" though may be too high. So far the Paradive dive inlay is the best I have seen to date outside of say the Blancpain FF re-issue.
    tmoris likes this.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by chris7013 View Post
    Bill, thanks for getting the updates out and filling us in on the size survey. I'm more concerned about the proportions than any size restriction, 41mm - 42mm should be just fine. The inlay is going to be spectacular and I can't wait to see how it pans out for this design. I'm stoked to be a part of this and will bide my time as best as any of us can.
    Chris
    I chose the specific range because on the high end of the range (49.25 mm) would allow us to keep the proportions exactly the same as the sample I have here. However I think there is room to shorten the watch because the sample I have here is longer than other examples that I have seen. However this maybe due to polishing and wear. For example the military SM300 I used to own...its proportions were just fine but the watch was significantly shorter than the NOS case I have here. I think that this is likely due to the fact that fixed bars were installed in the watch. Usually the MOD weren't very careful about this process but again the watch looked fine.

One of the reasons it took so long for me to get back to you guys was that I was examining the rough sketches I have mocked up to see how the watch could be shortened without affecting the curves and how the watch flows. While I was just visualizing the possibilities it seems feasible. To keep it on the safe side I posted a range for the length though.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    Bill - Are you/we absolutely commited to the only lume option being the BG W9, or will there be a C3 option as well? I'm guessing NOT, since it looks like you'll be committed to making the bezel luminous as well (which I think is GREAT, BTW!); probably won't want to go through the "trouble" of two different bezel inserts. For whatever MY input is worth (For the record, I own two Watchco Omega Seamaster 300's - my favorite watch!) which of course have the C3 Superluminova - either one will glow ALL NIGHT LONG when adequately "charged". Unless you can pull a rabbit out of your hat with the BG W9, it won't glow as brightly or as long - correct me if I'm wrong...

Having said all that, I'm prolly still "all in" to Pre-Order this one. I've got a Kingston GO coming (w/C3 lume), but have always wanted a Seamaster homage w/the Big Triangle. I owned a Precista for about a week - watch was too thick, indices were too thin, and lume was SHITE! It did have a nice domed plexi crystal, though...
    We will have to decide on one version, either C3 or BG W9. Making both choices available is very time consuming and one of the lessons learned from the Kingston. Personally I prefer the BG W9 but I will take another fresh look at SM300 I have here, which is also a Watchco. I have it in pieces so its a good excuse to put it back together and wear it around for a few days.

Soooooo long story short its up to the Plankowners....

I, for one, would prefer the BGW9. I now have watches with both, and though the C3 is great and does glow very brightly, I much prefer the white of the BGW9. And honestly, if you have a clean dial and hand combination, it's going to be legible.

Having said that, I just want to thank Bill for the Kingston, which arrived last week. Truly a work of art. There are so many facets to its character, and the level of finishing and detail is amazing. I assumed that I would be satisfied after receiving my Kingston, that I would feel like I didn't really need any other watches. If anything, the Kingston has intensified my love of watches and I'm really, seriously excited about the 300 project. I know that however it turns out it will be a worthy addition to my slowly growing stable.

It never ever happened to me that I would prepay this much stuff and be comfortable about it.

Right now, I paid my GO Kingston in full, I prepaid P300 (150+350 iirc) and now 600 for the gmt project. I never ever held an MKII in my hand. All I have is information that has been posted around here and how i evaluate Bill's attitude from what he says/writes. When i think of it, it really may sound ridiculous to many, should I have to explain myself to them. And at the same time I feel really great about these 3 decisions, I have no doubt that it will be worth it. Did i mention, I never held an mkii? :D

thank you Bill for the posts above, I really do appreciate you taking the time to read these posts and take them into consideration! best of luck with mkii, hope to stay faithfully yours! :)

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris
    It never ever happened to me that I would prepay this much stuff and be comfortable about it.

Right now, I paid my GO Kingston in full, I prepaid P300 (150+350 iirc) and now 600 for the gmt project. I never ever held an MKII in my hand. All I have is information that has been posted around here and how i evaluate Bill's attitude from what he says/writes. When i think of it, it really may sound ridiculous to many, should I have to explain myself to them. And at the same time I feel really great about these 3 decisions, I have no doubt that it will be worth it. Did i mention, I never held an mkii? :D

thank you Bill for the posts above, I really do appreciate you taking the time to read these posts and take them into consideration! best of luck with mkii, hope to stay faithfully yours! :)
    Hey tmoris, I'm in the exact same situation. Since I try and keep my watch acquisitions to one every half a year, I figure I'm set for three out of my next five slots. I do already own a Blackwater, so it's easier for me to appreciate the MKII allure.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

My Kingston has the C3 lumen and the TR1000 has the BGW9 lumen. So, I own two MKII watches with two sorts (colors) of lumen. Personally, I think that the C3 lumen is more in line with the vintage character of the P300 watch. Hence my choice: C3.

Menno
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    My Kingston has the C3 lumen and the TR1000 has the BGW9 lumen. So, I own two MKII watches with two sorts (colors) of lumen. Personally, I think that the C3 lumen is more in line with the vintage character of the P300 watch. Hence my choice: C3.

Menno
    AGREED! Hence MY desire to see the Project 300 offered w/C3; plus the fact that it glows like a TORCH! Having said that, I'll STILL prolly get a Project 300; I respect Bill's need to go w/one lume or the other, and not both, due to the luminous bezel insert...
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread Information