Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 18
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

To be honest, I'll be happy regardless of whether the 300 has C3 or BGW9. They both look good. However, I've never understood the claim that C3 looks more vintage. I wasn't around when these original Tritium dials were new, but I would imagine that they were originally white, then softened to cream, yellow, orange, whatever. I don't think they ever had the greenish tint that C3 has. I do realize that the white of the BGW9 can be a bit stark, but I've seen some pictures of old watches where the markers were stark white as well. For example (I can't remember where I got this picture, but it helped sway me towards BGW9 for my Kingston, credit wherever credit is due):

Name:  lt17.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  68.3 KB

But again, I think the watch will be amazing regardless of the choice of lumen.

Now, on another point, I've noticed at least two different bezels on the original SM300's. One has a sharp-edged triangle and a seriffed 1 on the 10. The other has a rounded triangle and no serif on the 1. What is more correct/original for the military version, and which will be on the Project 300?

Same situation here as for tmoris and enkidu .... looks like I have "always 3 down-payments out on MKII's" Made down-payments on Quad 10, then Kingston, next Project 300. Quad 10 is now almost 2 years in the house (still unworn as I managed to land an IWC Mark XVI too) and have paid the deposit for Project GMT last week.

I thought that my BGW9 was going to be my lume preference, but now I'm doubting that choice. Mr. Bill, you must still have tons of Kingston dials lying around. Is it possible to put two dials with different lume types side-by-side, illuminate them, snap a picture and post in this (or a new) thread, so we all can voice a better informed opinion?

RonB

Personally, I think that the C3 lumen is more in line with the vintage character of the P300 watch. Hence my choice: C3.
    Agreed!

Im with Semuta on this one. I had a Steinhart VIntage Red and the C3 didnt look too appropriate on it. I sold it a couple of months later, it just didnt have a certain feel to it..

on a side note to the bezel issue: i stumbled across armida diver watches and they seem to be having rather strong bezel lume, even though im not sure that it is the same technology we are about to have on p300. nevertheless, pasting a link to pics

Mr. Bill, you must still have tons of Kingston dials lying around. Is it possible to put two dials with different lume types side-by-side, illuminate them, snap a picture and post in this (or a new) thread, so we all can voice a better informed opinion?
    Now, that's a great idea!

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Either lume choice would be great and I eagerly look forward to the final product. All we need is a bushel of patience now.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Marine silver, Muhle Glashutte Antaria chrono, Stowa Flieger Klassik, Stowa Seatime 1960s, Dornbluth 99.0 black, Stowa Antea LE, Nomos Ahoi, Sinn Military Type III, Stowa TO2, Nomos Club Dunkel, Sinn 358 Chrono.

Hey guys, any thoughts as to the font for the bezel? I see two different fonts out there.

The first has the serif on the '1' and a fat top on the '4'

image from curt941 in this (#1) post.

The other one is has the same as the image on the MKII website '1' with no serif and sharp top '4'

image courtesy of mamas (from #144 in this thread)

I much prefer the bottom style, but would be open to changing the font to be more modern as long as it retains the simplicity. I could go for a rounded "Gil Sans" like font.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Yao

I will apologize in advance...and try to address the points brought up quickly as I am running short on time this evening.

* Lume brightness question: I will see what I can do. Obviously the dials are here but just need to find some time to take a good photo.

* BG W9 or C3, what is more representative?: Well that is a tougher question. I have always operated on the assumption that Tritium lume back in the 60s and 70s was white to begin with and then turned brown with age. I used to have a Fortis (modern manufacture) with green Tritium lume but I have to believe that the lume would have aged to a different color than beige or brown given time. As such my preference has always been white lume. That having been said all of the modern manufacture "MARS" (if memory serves me) parts that are out there that come out of Watchco use something like C3 or natural SLN. I have a case here and I will compare it to the C3 parts I have.

* Bezel insert design: I am also partial to the sans-serif older style. The "mock-up" watch you see on the Project 300 page was my own military SM300, which I sold a while back. I think a cleaner and slightly stronger font than the one pictured on that page would be they way to go. I look at the serifed font and I think it looks too modern. At the same time the triangle on the sans-serifed version is too weak and messy. I think there is a good medium between the two styles.

Any other points/topics that I missed...feel free to post them and I will take another look on Thursday.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    I will apologize in advance...and try to address the points brought up quickly as I am running short on time this evening.

* Lume brightness question: I will see what I can do. Obviously the dials are here but just need to find some time to take a good photo.

* BG W9 or C3, what is more representative?: Well that is a tougher question. I have always operated on the assumption that Tritium lume back in the 60s and 70s was white to begin with and then turned brown with age. I used to have a Fortis (modern manufacture) with green Tritium lume but I have to believe that the lume would have aged to a different color than beige or brown given time. As such my preference has always been white lume. That having been said all of the modern manufacture "MARS" (if memory serves me) parts that are out there that come out of Watchco use something like C3 or natural SLN. I have a case here and I will compare it to the C3 parts I have.

* Bezel insert design: I am also partial to the sans-serif older style. The "mock-up" watch you see on the Project 300 page was my own military SM300, which I sold a while back. I think a cleaner and slightly stronger font than the one pictured on that page would be they way to go. I look at the serifed font and I think it looks too modern. At the same time the triangle on the sans-serifed version is too weak and messy. I think there is a good medium between the two styles.

Any other points/topics that I missed...feel free to post them and I will take another look on Thursday.
    Bill, could you please take a look at the bracelet question that we've been discussing over at the panam thread, since it applies for P300 as well and might be a good thing to see if there are any options on this.. thanks a lot!

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    Bill, could you please take a look at the bracelet question that we've been discussing over at the panam thread, since it applies for P300 as well and might be a good thing to see if there are any options on this.. thanks a lot!
    I took a look at the thread and it brings up some interesting points. To be perfectly honest I don't wear bracelets much. I prefer to use NATOs, US-military style nylon straps, the rubber strap that we offer on the Paradive. In short I am not much of a bracelet man. The one watch I do want to wear with its bracelet is the Kingston...still haven't gotten to sizing my own bracelet yet.

I see the issue raised by the Steinhart bracelet and cover in particular. The cover is what I believe is the industry term for that formed piece of metal that was sticking out and away from the bracelet itself.

What I can tell you is that the bracelet can cost as much if not more than the case body, depending upon the source and quality. Simply put the bracelet has substantially more parts than a case. That's why a lot of companies starting out don't offer a bracelet and why I didn't for the first few years. If people are happy with the Kingston bracelet and the LRRP bracelet then I can expect that you will be happy with the Project 300 bracelet as they are coming from the same source. The LRRP bracelet was a catalog piece, no surprise I am sure. The Kingston bracelet was a mixture of new parts and existing tooling. It kept the price down while also creating something unique. The Project 300 bracelet will be similar to the Omega one but not exactly the same for two reasons 1) were not trying to dupliciate an Omega 2) its unlikely, unless new tooling is made, that something exactly the same exists outside of a black market factory, which we wouldn't touch.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast