Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 19
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Question Re: Project 300: Dial and case design (Drilled lugs?)

Has anyone brought up the subject of whether or not the spring-bar holes should be drilled through? I (for one) would prefer to have the lugs drilled through.

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design (Drilled lugs?)

Great point. I second this motion.
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

I do not want drilled lugs on this. Those look right on a Rolex, but not on an Omega IMO. Actually, and I'm probably in the minority, I would prefer fixed bars...

Confused Re: Project 300: Dial and case design (Drilled lugs?)

Semuta said,
    I do not want drilled lugs on this. Those look right on a Rolex, but not on an Omega IMO. Actually, and I'm probably in the minority, I would prefer fixed bars...
    How could you have fixed bars, without drilling the lugs through?

Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; February 15th, 2012 at 07:34.

Lightbulb Re: Project 300: Dial and case design (Luminous color, luminosity)

Found this while trying to learn, and satisfy my own curiosity about this.

For everything you ever wanted to know about 'Luminosity in Watches"
    you can go to http://kronometric.org/article/lume/ for a very informative article.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post

How could you have fixed bars, without drilling the lugs through?

I'm not sure...some sort of welding? I'm not a metallurgist . They were able to do it with the original SM300's, why not us?

Quote Originally Posted by Semuta

I'm not sure...some sort of welding? I'm not a metallurgist . They were able to do it with the original SM300's, why not us?
    My impression was that, for fixed bars, the lugs are drilled through, a bar is inserted though the full length of the lugs, cut flush with the outside of the lugs (probably not in that order), and peened and/or welded to keep it in place.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

I think that was the method used for the Milsubs, but the SM300's didn't have drilled lugs. I'm not sure how they were fitted exactly. Check out the pic in the banner on the Project 300 page for an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Semuta View Post
    I think that was the method used for the Milsubs, but the SM300's didn't have drilled lugs. I'm not sure how they were fitted exactly. Check out the pic in the banner on the Project 300 page for an example.
    Good point. Looking at it, I think it could be done by installing spring bars whose fixed length is exactly the length of the gap. Or you could drill one shallow hole and fit in a bar with a ball joint into the hole on one end and weld both ends. Or just fit a bar into shallow indentations and weld both ends.

Nowadays, if you wanted to be completely bad-ass, you could machine solid bars into the case from the beginning. Hmm, if I ever make my own personal watch, I might do that.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR View Post
    Ah, good; I guess we can probably assume that the project is going forward at this point, Bill?

Since this is also the Dial design thread, I've taken the opportunity to mock up a number of the popular name suggestions (as well as others that I perosnally like) from the other thread, with variations of typeface and dial elements. We can use these to help establish preferences like typeface style (script, sans serif, etc), size, and positioning, as well as logo design, marker style, and misc elements (e.g. Swiss Made).

For the base, I took a picture of my Precista PRS-14 and modified the elements where it diverges from the original (bezel lume pip, for instance) and replaced the dial with an original vector overlay to match the SM300 dial.

I used the Mk II wordmark from the website. The typeface for AUTOMATIC is a modified raster of Futura, which emulates closely the original Omega typeface (including flat-top As).

Here's crowd favorite "Pheon" in script, with circle-Y and big triangle. This and the 12-on-12 version below is my favorite.

And with 12-at-12

With Circle-L.

In a sans serif font instead

My suggestion: "Sublitoral".

In sans-serif.

"Trident"

"Project 300"

No-name.

So, my preference is for a script typeface for the name, with circle-Y symbol, and both big triangle and 12-at-12 dial options. The other elements closely emulate the original SM300's design, and I think we should retain those.
    i think the non name looks good but withouy the Circle Y symbol. keep it simple clear and crisp. i have 3 Omega SM300's so i think i'm qualified to have an opinion.
    too many to mention

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast