Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 20
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

Okay I am finally back online. The computer is limping along but still running for now.

I will try to take a shot of the lume tomorrow C3 vs. BG W9 and try to throw in the MARS Watchco parts in there for good measure. We'll see how I get on. I usually fumble through the process until I get a photo that I can use.

Other issues we need to begin addressing:

* Dial: I will begin the process of mocking up some drawings of the dial based on my previous work with the "300" dials that I used to offer. Based on the size survey revisit the large majority of people wanted a Big-Triangle dial. A significant portion of the Plankowners want a non-date dial and the general public was split about 50/50 on the non-date versus date option. The color of the date wheel we will mock up for feedback. We won't be printing "Swiss Made" on the dial just so everyone realizes. From this point forward we will be identifying this point on the case backs for all of our watches.

ASRSPR has laid some good ground work for discussion on the dials (see above). Please let me know what you guys do and do not like about the above so I can get an idea as to what to develop for your review.

* Case lugs: The idea of a fixed strap pin probably won't fly. Its my impression based on my experience that its something that everyone says they want but when they go to pull the trigger on the purchase they end up buying a watch with spring bars instead. Drilling the holes through the lugs just to make strap changes easier is idea. Let me know if there is interest in this idea.

* For the case I have to begin working on the full mock-up. This will take some time. We have some rough sketches but nothing worth looking at right now.

* Luminous bezel: I talked to two suppliers that I use about options. The sapphire option is still very much alive. The more robust sapphire option that I have made mention did get a lot more complicated. In discussions with my supplier the idea of using molded SLN ring under the sapphire inlay is fraught with technical challenges so its probably not going to happen for the Project 300. We will continue to experiment with it for the Stingray II and see how it goes. There is one other interesting option that I wanted to see if anyone was interested in.....which is ceramic.....what do you think? We would still have to work through some issues like making sure the ceramic inlay lines up correctly with the dial and I don't know how that will play out at the moment.
    MHe225 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Okay I am finally back online. The computer is limping along but still running for now.

I will try to take a shot of the lume tomorrow C3 vs. BG W9 and try to throw in the MARS Watchco parts in there for good measure. We'll see how I get on. I usually fumble through the process until I get a photo that I can use.

Other issues we need to begin addressing:

* Dial: I will begin the process of mocking up some drawings of the dial based on my previous work with the "300" dials that I used to offer. Based on the size survey revisit the large majority of people wanted a Big-Triangle dial. A significant portion of the Plankowners want a non-date dial and the general public was split about 50/50 on the non-date versus date option. The color of the date wheel we will mock up for feedback. We won't be printing "Swiss Made" on the dial just so everyone realizes. From this point forward we will be identifying this point on the case backs for all of our watches.

ASRSPR has laid some good ground work for discussion on the dials (see above). Please let me know what you guys do and do not like about the above so I can get an idea as to what to develop for your review.

* Case lugs: The idea of a fixed strap pin probably won't fly. Its my impression based on my experience that its something that everyone says they want but when they go to pull the trigger on the purchase they end up buying a watch with spring bars instead. Drilling the holes through the lugs just to make strap changes easier is idea. Let me know if there is interest in this idea.

* For the case I have to begin working on the full mock-up. This will take some time. We have some rough sketches but nothing worth looking at right now.

* Luminous bezel: I talked to two suppliers that I use about options. The sapphire option is still very much alive. The more robust sapphire option that I have made mention did get a lot more complicated. In discussions with my supplier the idea of using molded SLN ring under the sapphire inlay is fraught with technical challenges so its probably not going to happen for the Project 300. We will continue to experiment with it for the Stingray II and see how it goes. There is one other interesting option that I wanted to see if anyone was interested in.....which is ceramic.....what do you think? We would still have to work through some issues like making sure the ceramic inlay lines up correctly with the dial and I don't know how that will play out at the moment.
    Per these new details, I've whipped up some revised mock ups with bond NATO a little glare over the crystal and bezel. As for my personal preferances for the fixed dial options, I want to emphasize again that I think that the P300 should match the placement and general style of the original Seamaster dial, which means a company logo and model name. Without these features, the dial is much too spartan. This is, in my opinion, one of the main failings of the Precista PRS-14 doal design. I understand the hesitation about "busy" dials, but I think that a design such as below is just right. No silly paragraph of text like on the modern SMs - just "Mk II Project 300". It's not that I don't like clean dials (I love my Paradive). It's just that sterile isn't the right move for a Seamaster 300.

No date / white hands:

No date / Silver hands:

Black date wheel:

White date wheel:

Last edited by ASRSPR; April 4th, 2012 at 11:02.
    teeritz, sunster, MHe225 and 1 others like this.

I've said it before and I don't mind saying it again: fantastic pictures! Thanks for 'drawing' them (I cannot come up with the correct word at the moment). You're able to capture these little-but-oh-so-important details! For me, choosing my favo configuration is a 'no brainer': silver hands, no date. Must say, it's very tempting to ask for a 'C3 version' of this watch too. Somehow, I think that it will look a little more authentic than the BG W9 coloured dial.

Last January (I think - cannot find the posting), Bill stated that, for logistic reason (in my words) he opted for only one version: C3 or BG W9. Since your rendering of the P300 watch looks very realistic, I think that it's nice to see both side by side.

Again, thanks for you input!

Menno
    Tetraflop and OmegaCosmicMan like this.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Awesome mockups as usual! Thanks! No date (+destro) is very important to me. I like the silver hands, but think the silver border on the minute hand seems too wide, making the lumed area too narrow.

I'd prefer a lumed sapphire bezel, but ceramic is acceptable also. Lumed sapphire > sapphire > lumed ceramic > ceramic > aluminum.

Drilled lugs would be great if they can be pulled off. The geometry of the lyre lugs might make it tricky though.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

I'm happy to see this project coming along. A few opinions:

- I guess I am in the minority, but I prefer the non-big-triangle version of the dial -- the one that actually as the "12" printed on it. (I'm not sure what that's called, but it's the one shown here: Omega SM300 Vintage - Photos.) I think I can live with the big triangle one, but would much prefer the alternative

- The script or font for the words Project 300 seems a bit ... girly ... to me. I don't mind a bit of flair, but does the writing have to be so curly and curvy?

- I can go with either date or no-date, but if it's with-date, I'd prefer white lettering on a black background.

- I have one ceramic bezel but no experience with sapphire bezels. Ceramic would be fine with me.

A few alternative script typefaces for "Project 300":

The minute hand lume is a bit narrow. Actually, I compared them with Omega hands and the minute hand itself is narrow in these mockups. I'll fix it when I have some time.

Yes, the second one in particular is much better, IMO. Thanks!!

ASRSPR's PRS-14 based mock ups are a great starting point so thanks for getting the ball rolling mate. The PRS-14 is very close to the big triangle Seamaster, but its dial still misses the mark on some of the finer details. For example, from the pictures I have seen of a big triangle Seamaster 300, the triangle is wider than the PRS-14 - extending just a touch beyond the 2 minute and 58 minute mark. Also, the minute markers on most of the variants I've seen almost touches the silver chapter ring.

I must agree with Kent108 that the "Project 300" font on ASRSPR's earlier mock ups are a little too curvy? I also think a dial without the "Y" symbol would be cleaner and more well suited to such an elegant watch, although given the lack of opposition to it so far, I am afraid I might be alone on that...

I have a watch with a ceramic bezel, and I absolutely love the way it looks, but I think a sapphire bezel would suit this watch better and look more like the acrylic crystal on the original. However, I might be able to get on board if the dial is an inky black rather than a matte black (I believe the original would be a matte black?). Actually, can we have an inky black dial regardless of the bezel? I think that would make a fantastic modern upgrade, along with the sapphire crystal and bezel.
    Last edited by kywong; April 6th, 2012 at 08:58.

Quote Originally Posted by kywong View Post
    ASRSPR's PRS-14 based mock ups are a great starting point so thanks for getting the ball rolling mate. The PRS-14 is very close to the big triangle Seamaster, but its dial still misses the mark on some of the finer details. For example, from the pictures I have seen of a big triangle Seamaster 300, the triangle is wider than the PRS-14 - extending just a touch beyond the 2 minute and 58 minute mark. Also, the minute markers on most of the variants I've seen almost touches the silver chapter ring.

I must agree with Kent108 that the "Project 300" font on ASRSPR's earlier mock ups are a little too curvy? I also think a dial without the "Y" symbol would be cleaner and more well suited to such an elegant watch, although given the lack of opposition to it so far, I am afraid I might be alone on that...

I have a watch with a ceramic bezel, and I absolutely love the way it looks, but I think a sapphire bezel would suit this watch better and look more like the acrylic crystal on the original. However, I might be able to get on board if the dial is an inky black rather than a matte black (I believe the original would be a matte black?). Actually, can we have an inky black dial regardless of the bezel? I think that would make a fantastic modern upgrade, along with the sapphire crystal and bezel.
    That's a very good catch on those subtle differences. I also believe that the 5-minute markers may be slightly longer than on the PRS-14. I never really intended these mockups to be completely representative of what the P300 should ultimately be, only so that people can get a good idea of what the different variations would look like before making their choices in the design process. Of course, I'm in favor of the little details matching the SM300 as much as possible.

I'll try to make a few of these changes in future revisions, but I trust that people can visualize some of the smaller details internally.

The PRS-14 big triangle is a bit narrow, but I'm not sure that the original omega dials extend consistantly beyond the 2/58 minute markers. In Scubawatch.org's shots, they seem to: http://scubawatch.org/seamaster300BT.html

But not in this forum shot: http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachm...-omega-002.jpg

I don't know if it's just a difference in manufacturing process or between different contracted dial manufacturer (I've seen dial errors and variations on other Omega and period watches to the degree that this is easily believable) or a difference between the 165 and 166.024 models.
    Last edited by ASRSPR; April 6th, 2012 at 09:46.

ASRSPR - I may be repeating myself, but don't mind doing so: thank you so much for these fantastic renderings and visualizing for all of us what we are discussing. Very helpful indeed
    My choice would be the same as Menno's, no date, silver hand and echo his request for C3 lume ..... And like Kent and several others, I too have been "struggling" (for lack of a better word) with the font used to write Project 300. It's a different watch, but take a look at my Railmaster: silver hands, great lume and a perfect "script font". When I visualize the MKII P300, I transform my Railmaster (on my wrist as we speak) and like what I see.

Name:  672630d1333710193-hello-friday-120401_omega_railmaster_4m.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  258.2 KB

And those looking for more inspiration / wanting to drool over nice pics, check the Watchco SM300 thread.

RonB

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast