Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 21
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

Okay glad to see the discussion picking up.

A few points:

* We will still shoot for the lumed sapphire. The ceramic is an idea if people really get behind it. A ceramic version would be lumed of course. The lumed section would also be made of a SLN impregnated ceramic so in this sense it may be different than what you have seen other companies do. The cost looks like it will be about the same so will be a mater of aesthetics.
    * The hands we will be using a shorter version of the MOD Sword hands that I feature on the LRRP.
    * I am actually looking at fonts right now for the Project 300 name. The feedback so far has been good to read. I am trying to find something that has the elegance of the old font without being exactly the same. I am trying to find a nice way to give the Project 300 watch its own character while preserving the feel of the old watch. Clayton's pic of the SM300 in my mind is just about perfect.

Regarding the BT versus 12 dials...the BT came up the hands down favorite among the Plankowners and a solid favorite among the general survey participants.

If you have some time on your hands you can check out site: myfonts.com and type in "Script" and see what fonts you like. I am still looking at them to narrow the range down because they all pretty much cost money. So if you feel like, possibly investing yourself, more than you may have ever in your life in font choice let me know what you like.

I am at the moment modifying the old 300 dials I used on the Seikos with a wider triangle and working on the font.

Yao

Let me know what you guys think of these options. The alternative is to use say "300 m ~ 1000 ft" in italics in place of the Project 300 name on the dial and just use the Project 300 name on the case back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    The alternative is to use say "300 m ~ 1000 ft" in italics in place of the Project 300 name on the dial and just use the Project 300 name on the case back.
    Gut reaction is that I like this option the best. Project 300 is a stealthy name so placing on it the back makes sense. I'm also coming around to Bill's idea of using a basic military style case back and would offer that a WWll MOD inspired style might work:

Name:  mod.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  67.4 KB

It's actually kinda charming and suits the character of the watch, plus I'm guessing it would be cheaper than more elaborate alternatives (MKll needs the resources to build my no-date Blackwater). Since it's not UK property perhaps replacing the pheon with an MKll logo would be appropriate.

More modern examples are...antiseptic:

Name:  mod 2.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  62.4 KB
    Last edited by ljb187; April 12th, 2012 at 09:17.

I think the second one of these two follows the theme in the SM300 the best. (Sorry the image contains both)

This is also a good alternative if you don't like the script in the first one

Though Bill's suggestion of marking the lowe rportion of teh dial with "300 m ~ 1000 ft" in italics is an interesting option adding more individuality to this model.
    Regards

Barry

Name:  678074d1334201935-project-300-dial-case-design-byron.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  30.6 KB
    Love this font.

I wouldn't mind "300 m ~ 1000 ft" on the dial, but I still prefer having Project 300 on the dial rather than the case back. A basic military case back is a great idea, I'd love to see that regardless of whether Project 300 is written on the front or on the back.

Top right: Cometa.
    Any way we can see the font in 1:1? Some of the others might look great at 6:1 but not at 1:1.
    I'd go for Project 300 on the dial.

I like Byron too. I've fixed a few things with the mockup suggested by others in this thread: the BT is now wider and the markers go closer to the edge. The lume on the minute hand is also thicker. These changes will be propagated to all future mocks.

MHe225 likes this.

Although pretty nice, I think prefer ASRSPR's font on the dial of his rederings. Perhaps you can post the fond you've used seperately, like the ones shown above.

Furthermore: when I was thinking of a name for the watch, I came up with 'Pheon'. I remember a detail about this sign (or in modern words: logo) As far as I know, the British MoD doesn't allow the use of the Pheon on non MoD items.

From Wikipedia: Broad arrow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ...Similarly to hallmarks, it is currently a criminal offence in the United Kingdom to reproduce the broad arrow without authority. Section 4 of the Public Stores Act 1875 makes it illegal to use the "broad arrow" on any goods without permission...[7]
    Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

While I didn't mind Pheon, I believe the name of the watch has already been decided.

As for fonts, I actually like all of the one's Bill posted except Vladimir, which -- like the original on ASRSPR's original renderings, I find too feminine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    Although pretty nice, I think prefer ASRSPR's font on the dial of his rederings. Perhaps you can post the fond you've used seperately, like the ones shown above.

Furthermore: when I was thinking of a name for the watch, I came up with 'Pheon'. I remember a detail about this sign (or in modern words: logo) As far as I know, the British MoD doesn't allow the use of the Pheon on non MoD items.

From Wikipedia: Broad arrow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Menno

I don't mean to promote the name 'Pheon' (again), only pointing out the use of the Pheon logo is restricted under British law.

Menno
    Last edited by Thieuster; April 12th, 2012 at 21:58.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread Information