Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 22
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR View Post
    I like Byron too. I've fixed a few things with the mockup suggested by others in this thread: the BT is now wider and the markers go closer to the edge. The lume on the minute hand is also thicker. These changes will be propagated to all future mocks.

ASRSPR,

This is a FANTASTIC mock-up.
    I know many have thanked you before, but I would like to echo their words.
    It is, for me, near perfection.
    I love the makers, the hands and the "Project 300" font.

I just have one question ... am I the only person who would prefer the dial without the circled-Y ?

Keep up the great work.
    :-D
    Neily

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

ASRSPR, that is a great mock-up!

I don't mind Byron as a font - looks good.

My vote would be to leave the circle Y out but I'm 60-40 about this.

-------------

Has there been any discussion on the bezel font and bezel minute marker thickness/length?

Quote Originally Posted by Neily_San View Post
    ASRSPR,

This is a FANTASTIC mock-up.
    I know many have thanked you before, but I would like to echo their words.
    It is, for me, near perfection.
    I love the makers, the hands and the "Project 300" font.

I just have one question ... am I the only person who would prefer the dial without the circled-Y ?

Keep up the great work.
    :-D
    Neily
    Ditto on the Great Work

(No, You are not the only person) - To me, it just seems like it 'circle-Y' adds some unnecessary clutter to the dial. I wouldn't mind doing without, and also hope that no one takes offense.

Prefer 'Project 300' appearing on face, but could live with alternative Bill proposed above (300m ~ 1000ft). But I suppose that also means we would end up with a 300 meter depth rating?

I really think that fellow member <m.and>'s pic deserves to be posted here also:

Name:  398d278e.jpg
Views: 7527
Size:  213.7 KB
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

ASRSPR, that is a fantastic mockup! I feel we're getting real close, but I still couldn't help but feel that it doesn't quite have the right balance. I couldn't quite put my finger on why, so I took the liberty of superimposing an image I found of the original (unfortunately I have forgotten where I found it) on ASPSPR's mockup (I hope that's okay ASPSPR! If not let me know I'll remove it.).

Name:  ASRSPR mockup superimposed.jpg
Views: 7260
Size:  167.5 KB

First and foremost, I was amazed at how the two triangles, as well as the dial and case aligned almost perfectly. The differences were... a) The bezel is narrower, with a thicker silver ring between the dial and the bezel; b) The hour markers taper less and are longer; and c) The 3, 6, 9 markers are slightly wider and shorter.

I am aware that the original point of ASRSPR's mockup is to aid our imagination more so than to be precise representation of the original, so I applaud him for going above and beyond that - I will never be able to produce mockups as good as his. But hopefully by pointing out the differences, Bill will be able to get the final product absolutely spot on (which he's done so well for the Kingston).

I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one who is not a fan of the Y! I think it looks cleaner without it.
    Last edited by kywong; April 14th, 2012 at 06:47.

Quote Originally Posted by kywong View Post
    ASRSPR, that is a fantastic mockup! I feel we're getting real close, but I still couldn't help but feel that it doesn't quite have the right balance. I couldn't quite put my finger on why, so I took the liberty of superimposing an image I found of the original (unfortunately I have forgotten where I found it) on ASPSPR's mockup (I hope that's okay ASPSPR! If not let me know I'll remove it.).

Name:  ASRSPR mockup superimposed.jpg
Views: 7260
Size:  167.5 KB

First and foremost, I was amazed at how the two triangles, as well as the dial and case aligned almost perfectly. The differences were... a) The bezel is narrower, with a thicker silver ring between the dial and the bezel; b) The hour markers taper less and are longer; and c) The 3, 6, 9 markers are slightly wider and shorter.

I am aware that the original point of ASRSPR's mockup is to aid our imagination more so than to be precise representation of the original, so I applaud him for going above and beyond that - I will never be able to produce mockups as good as his. But hopefully by pointing out the differences, Bill will be able to get the final product absolutely spot on (which he's done so well for the Kingston).

I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one who is not a fan of the Y! I think it looks cleaner without it.
    Nice work! I think that the biggest difference by far is the hour markers, so I'll see if I have some time to focus on those sometime in the near future.

I have to say that I'm a fan of the Circle-Y, if mostly for the fact that, like the BT, it helps differentiate the P300 from the run-of-the-mill civie SM300 that are widely available. Plus, it's a really nice throwback to MkII's original 3-6-9 circle-Y dials.

Maybe it's a bit too thick? I do think that the Circle-T on the SM300 looks a bit cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR View Post
    Nice work! I think that the biggest difference by far is the hour markers, so I'll see if I have some time to focus on those sometime in the near future.

I have to say that I'm a fan of the Circle-Y, if mostly for the fact that, like the BT, it helps differentiate the P300 from the run-of-the-mill civie SM300 that are widely available. Plus, it's a really nice throwback to MkII's original 3-6-9 circle-Y dials.

Maybe it's a bit too thick? I do think that the Circle-T on the SM300 looks a bit cleaner.
    I like the Circle-Y also.

I agree that the Seamaster's Circle-T looks cleaner. I think it's because it is smaller, maybe 140% the height of the "300", whereas the Circle-Y in the Project 300 mockup is almost 200%.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Great way to compare the original and the mock-up. Once again, this shows the quality of the mock-up! I think the Circle Y has to be on the dial, it's after all Bill's design! And this two layer pic of the mock-up and the original shows is the point why I don't like the font of 'Project 300'! It's too pointy at the ends: the 'Seamaster 300' writing has the same width from the beginning to the end, where the width of the 'Project' lettering is variable.

The original Seamaster's dial has longer hour markers. But I hadn't noticed that the marker on the mock up are shorter. Again, that proves the quality of the mock-up.

Menno
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

I agree that the circle Y is a Yao trademark and belongs on the dial, possibly thin it out to the ratio of the circle T. I see Menno's point on the font. It has the feel of a "stock font" from a catalog. What are the challenges of having a custom font created in terms of cost and repeatability for Quality? The last think I would want is for Bill to scrap dials as they would have to meet his standard, having said that that issue might remain for any writing on the dial. Therefore just a cost question.
    Regards

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by giosdad View Post
    I agree that the circle Y is a Yao trademark and belongs on the dial, possibly thin it out to the ratio of the circle T. I see Menno's point on the font. It has the feel of a "stock font" from a catalog. What are the challenges of having a custom font created in terms of cost and repeatability for Quality? The last think I would want is for Bill to scrap dials as they would have to meet his standard, having said that that issue might remain for any writing on the dial. Therefore just a cost question.
    I understand and appreciate your point concerning the 'Yao trademark', but would also say that MKII is Bill's brand....Doesn't that suffice to identify these watches as his creative vision? It's up to Bill....

But also appreciate Menno's point about the size of the trademark relative to the other design elements. I don't mind if it appears on the face, (and wouldn't mind if it was left off) but like the suggestions that it be scaled down some- Actually like design suggestions that all of the subordinate nomenclature would seem to be smaller and less intrusive on the dial overall. I think the main thing is to preserve the easily recognizable readability of the 'Big triangle' design, and to that end, if the watch is to have a date option, why not place the date window at 4:30 so the 'Big Triangle 3-6-9' design maintains its symmetrical appeal, unbroken? (gotta plug the 4:30 date thing-apologies where warranted).

Good discussion, contributing my two cents worth.

-Good Day to All....

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread Information