Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 23
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    I really think that fellow member <m.and>'s pic deserves to be posted here also:

Attachment 679237
    Agreed ....(and no 'Circle-Y' either).

But notice how the date window at 3, 'takes away' from the original design elements - if it has to have a date, couldn't it be at 4:30, with a black date wheel? I know the date window wasn't designed this way when it originally appeared, but we can do it better (IMHO). So, you can have a date window, and preserve the classic elements of the 'Big Triangle, 3-6-9 dial' too!!!
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; April 14th, 2012 at 15:24.

Good point about the window at 4:30. Most of the time I don't notice the date window (with black date wheel) on my Vantage. And what's more: Bill always told us that he was not planning a copy of the Seamaster! There has to be a difference between the original and Yao version: the date window a 4:30 could be it (possible in combination with the shorter hour markers?). It still has the look and feel, but it's different.

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Guys, I apologize in advance for this post as I'm not usually so blunt on WUS.

I hate to say it - especially since I'm not offering an alternative - but I think the fonts suggested in the last few days have a "greeting card" quality to them. They're sort of generically fancy without having much real character. I don't think such scripts suit the 300 which in my view has a crude but beautiful quality to its design.
    Last edited by ljb187; April 14th, 2012 at 20:45.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post

I hate to say it - especially since I'm not offering an alternative - but I think the fonts suggested in the last few days have a "greeting card" quality to them. They're sort of generically fancy without having much real character. I don't think such scripts suit the 300 which in my view has a crude but beautiful quality to its design.
    Sometimes, I notice that my knowledge of the English language isn't enough to express my thoughts. Luckily, there's always an other Forumite to step in. ljb187's words are EXACTLY what I mean! Thank you sir!

Menno
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Originally posted by ljb187

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    Sometimes, I notice that my knowledge of the English language isn't enough to express my thoughts. Luckily, there's always an other Forumite to step in. ljb187's words are EXACTLY what I mean! Thank you sir!

Menno
    I'm with you guys on this one - the trouble is that our inspiration has a script 'Seamaster' - is there an alternative that is simpler without all the flowing greeting-card who-haw? I actually lean toward the 'Cometa' I guess, but the 'P' has such an over-sized flowing thing on it that does not belong, IMHO. 'Dyna' or 'Kinscope' are interesting except for the zeros, which are too complicated. Go for 'Cometa' but with the 'P' from one of the others? I dunno....ideas anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by giosdad View Post
    I agree that the circle Y is a Yao trademark and belongs on the dial
    Fair point. Whilst it would be my preference not to have the circled-Y ( and it would appear I am not alone ), I will be more than happy whatever decision Bill makes. I love the fact that Bill allows us to air our thoughts, opinions and preferences ... but at the end of the day I trust that Bill will be the final judge of what meets his supremely high design and build standards.

We all know he is going to deliver a first rate product.

:-D

Neily
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Yao
    Thanks for all the thoughtful and insightful comments, especially about the fonts. The last few comments about the font were negative (which is not to say that's bad in this case) but constructive. I sometimes customize a font to suit a project but this may be especially difficult given the script style font. Putting the depth rating in its place might better preserve the aesthetic of the watch. After all the names aren't the same either so I am just saying that we may be expecting the "project 300" name to fill shoes that are just too big.

The 4.30 date window we will just have to see how it looks in a mock-up. Most people that took the survey preferred the date window at 3. However I think this is a view that may change when they see it rather than trying to imagine it.

I think what you will find is that the proportions (hour markers vs script vs logo size) will make a big difference in how crowded or legible a dial feels. Ultimately the dial design will have to be tailored/adjusted to the final case design. It's useful now to decide what elements people want on the dial.

The circle-y is really up to you guys.

I will be back online Friday and will try to do the more mock-ups to add to the discussion. I will also try to take that lume shot I keep promising....sorry but we got a new camera a while ago and I have delegated all the photography since then so I have to find enough time to fumble around with it to figure out how to take a lume shot again.
    Last edited by Yao; April 18th, 2012 at 06:48.

There is a preponderance of good ideas and a minimal amount of space and time in which to apply them. Lets keep our ideas and dreams on point and within reason. The only thing I can think of capable of adding a severe amount of class would be applied indices, and I realize this doesn't fall into the within reason problem. I am beside myself with the inability to clearly describe my desire for this to outshine the Kingston in every aspect. My fear is it will become an also ran and not get the attention it deserves as the second forum designed watch.
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

If the date window were to be offered and set at the 4:30 position, I would request that the digit itself stand straight up (aligned with the 12-6 axis) rather than tilted (so that the top of the digit points toward the outside of the dial). I really hate the latter style ...

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Thanks for all the thoughtful and insightful comments, especially about the fonts. The last few comments about the font were negative (which is not to say that's bad in this case) but constructive. I sometimes customize a font to suit a project but this may be especially difficult given the script style font. Putting the depth rating in its place might better preserve the aesthetic of the watch. After all the names aren't the same either so I am just saying that we may be expecting the "project 300" name to fill shoes that are just too big.

The 4.30 date window we will just have to see how it looks in a mock-up. Most people that took the survey preferred the date window at 3. However I think this is a view that may change when they see it rather than trying to imagine it.

I think what you will find is that the proportions (hour markers vs script vs logo size) will make a big difference in how crowded or legible a dial feels. Ultimately the dial design will have to be tailored/adjusted to the final case design. It's useful now to decide what elements people want on the dial.

The circle-y is really up to you guys.

I will be back online Friday and will try to do the more mock-ups to add to the discussion. I will also try to take that lume shot I keep promising....sorry but we got a new camera a while ago and I have delegated all the photography since then so I have to find enough time to fumble around with it to figure out how to take a lume shot again.

Question Re: Project 300: Dial and case design >> Font Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post

Hi All-

I took Bill's suggestion, and looked around on myfonts.com. Based on my own preferences and comments read here, what do you think about this? This font is simple, strong, clear and has a 1950's kind of vibe, I think. It is in a font named Lombriz:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast