Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 24
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design >> Font Proposal

Here's a crazy idea, how about no "flowing" font? Obviously the Seamaster has a beautiful script font, but it has a... I don't know... mythical or romantic name? The master of the sea. Whereas Project 300 is a more functional name.

I had a stab at editing ASPSPR's excellent mockup, editing the hour markers, reducing the thickness of the bezel, and adding a boxy sort of font (Microgramma from MyFonts.com). As you can see the details that I changed are less refined (I was only trained to use Photoshop for photographic purpose!), but I hope it will help us visualise what the font may look like on the watch?

Name:  i-PvXTkWc-XL-1.jpg
Views: 7367
Size:  136.1 KB

Rough proposal for dial layout and text (more content then style):

Name:  dial 2.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  6.2 KB

However, I kind of liked the general appearance of the stock MS Word Constantia font so even though I'm one of the few who's not a big fan of the chosen name (I thought it sounded unfinished), here's the same using winner. I added the bracketed "M" (meters) because it seems more technical...a little like varients of the Spitfire (Mk Vc, Mk XlVe...). This helped to mitigate my own personal concerns regarding the refinement of the name, plus I think/hope the text looks more interesting this way:

Name:  Dial 3.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  5.4 KB

I'm OK losing the brackets as long as you guys will let me keep the M (for the same reasons as above):

Name:  dial 4.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  4.9 KB
    Last edited by ljb187; April 24th, 2012 at 11:53.

Lightbulb Re: Project 300: Dial and case design >> Font Proposal

Here is what I have developed using some ideas I had proposed and what I have heard from others. Font proposed "Lombriz" and stripped down nomenclature, no automatic, no Circle-Y etc. Just the Basics, MKII and Project 300. Hope the image scales correctly. If I can't get the date window in this configuration with a black date wheel-white font, no window outline and positioned at 4:30, I'll pick the no-date option, and I'm fine with that. Just proposed this because I thought it preserves the essential elements of this classic dial design and was the cleanest, most elegant way to display a date option.

I couldn't have done this without the work and ideas of others, so much of the credit is due elsewhere. Thanks Guys -

Name:  0CM_Proj300.jpg
Views: 6899
Size:  191.3 KBAfter looking at this for the thirteenth time or so, I don't have the date window positioned into the minute track enough-I think it would really fall further away from the center and around to halfway into the minute track, but this will give the general idea.
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; April 24th, 2012 at 15:33. Reason: Typing...spelling...typing...does it end?

I like this version a lot. It strikes me as looking very purposeful (IMO a good thing), where the flowing fonts seem to be more about emphasizing the "retro" nature of this project.

Quote Originally Posted by kywong View Post
    Here's a crazy idea, how about no "flowing" font? Obviously the Seamaster has a beautiful script font, but it has a... I don't know... mythical or romantic name? The master of the sea. Whereas Project 300 is a more functional name.

I had a stab at editing ASPSPR's excellent mockup, editing the hour markers, reducing the thickness of the bezel, and adding a boxy sort of font (Microgramma from MyFonts.com). As you can see the details that I changed are less refined (I was only trained to use Photoshop for photographic purpose!), but I hope it will help us visualise what the font may look like on the watch?

Name:  i-PvXTkWc-XL-1.jpg
Views: 7367
Size:  136.1 KB
    Last edited by Kent108; April 24th, 2012 at 17:14.
    marchone likes this.

Banned

That is an excellent choice of sans serif font for the model name. The earlier script versions have a DIY feel about them.

I know from the published specs for Project 300 on the MKII website that it states an option open depending on case design is either 200m or 300m water resistance but it has to live up to its moniker.

I also vote for a 120 click sapphire inlay bezel if possible.

I'm not a fan of any of the script fonts posted so far. Especially problematic are the fonts which have a varying stroke width. Because the size of the font is so small, varying the width of the stroke will make the text look uneven. If you look at the original, the script font has a very consistent stroke width.

I like the mockups with less text more. Kywong's microgamma idea is interesting, but the font is too modern for my taste; love the layout. ljb187's first text only example looks nice, except that the 'M' in 300M should not be capitalized; the metric unit is always lower case.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

I have been struggling with the script font for the Project 300 and using the depth (e.g. 300 m ~ 1000 ft). The comment that the fonts that I had suggested were just too "greeting card" really hit the nail on the head in my opinion. The more I studied the font used on the original the more convinced I became that we aren't going to find a font that would lend the same flavor to the "Project 300" name. If the search results are correct I have probably looked at over 1,000 different fonts and all just seem like low-calorie alternative to the real thing. In other words nothing I was able to find evoked the same feeling.

I ran with the other idea I posted earlier which is to use the depth rating instead (I think it has possibilities whether the depth is 300 m or 200 m).

Name:  depth_rating.jpg
Views: 7134
Size:  465.8 KB

Let me know what you think. (The image might be too small so I will have to edit it after I see what it looks like posted).

I also liked kywong's idea but at the same time understand that many may feel the font is too modern. I think it works but probably isn't what a lot of people had in mind.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Yao

Okay the picture came out okay. So the differences are:

A & B: I just removed the Circle-Y
    C & D: D has the Circle-Y removed. Both C & D are missing the word "Automatic" under the logo.

To be honest I am not a fan of the open 9s and 6s. I think its just too close to the original.

Basically I'd like to see where people come out on the layout and the text. Ultimately the 3, 6, 9 and the proportions may have to change based on the way the bezel looks and once the case design is done.
    Last edited by Yao; April 25th, 2012 at 05:01.

Bill,

Looks like Watchco is unloading their SM300s. That means demand for your Project 300 should increase if the Watchco's are no longer available.

Here's my two cents:

1. Kill the Circle Y. No offense, but that's just cheesy. You already have MKII on the dial. Adding a "circle Y" for "Yao" is superfluous and irrelevant as an homage to the circle T tritium dials. It serves no purpose and just looks self aggrandizing. You are making an homage of 1960s design -- not a brand new from scratch creation.
    2. Don't italicize the san serif text (i.e. 300 m) -- italics makes it look like a flash in the pan Tag Heuer font. If you're not going to use cursive as per the original SM300, then don't italicize, as italicization lacks seriousness and looks amateurish.
    3. If you want to differentiate from the Watchco SM300 with modern day replacement dials, please make sure you CURVE the corners of the date window. For some reason, the curved corners of the date window on the original 1960s models look so much better than the squared versions on the modern day Watchcos.

Name:  sm300date1.jpg
Views: 6778
Size:  188.2 KB

Name:  512883d1315906776-if-you-could-only-have-10-watches-omega_sm300_166.0324_wrist.jpg
Views: 9053
Size:  139.7 KB
    Last edited by es335; April 25th, 2012 at 05:17.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Okay the picture came out okay. So the differences are:

A & B: I just removed the Circle-Y
    C & D: D has the Circle-Y removed. Both C & D are missing the word "Automatic" under the logo.

To be honest I am not a fan of the open 9s and 6s. I think its just too close to the original.

Basically I'd like to see where people come out on the layout and the text. Ultimately the 3, 6, 9 and the proportions may have to change based on the way the bezel looks and once the case design is done.
    I vote for Bill's Dial "D"- Like the font, layout, 'depth rating' instead of name, everything. 'Simpler is better.'
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; April 25th, 2012 at 10:40.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast