Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 5
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

Man, you are creative with Photoshop! Personally, I'm not fond of these coloured hands with this watch. The vintage look I do like, on the other hand. But if Bill's final design / the end result is more modern, I'm happy with it!

Thanks for your work!

Menno
    Last edited by Thieuster; August 21st, 2011 at 23:26.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Quote Originally Posted by ASRSPR
    I know that the idea of creating a "vintage" look watch didn't sit too well with some, but I've always thought that the vintage style Bell and Ross watches looked really sharp. Here's an attempt to replicate that look (more khaki than the bright yellow you see on ebay fakes)

I actually really like how that looks.
    I don't like posts that just read +1 hence: +225

I really like this; I thought that the white was just a little too white in all your previous renderings; this one looks just fine, especially if you give it a read second-hand and go back to the "closed loop P). Thank you so much for the time and effort you're spending providing these mock-ups

RonB
    rmasso likes this.

I'll go against the grain and say no to this look. I like a sympathetic restoration on a vintage piece, but this is brand new. I would prefer the dial to age on its own and not try to create a vintage look. We are already making a homage and I think adding a look of patina wont work. ASRSPR these renderings are still an outstanding way to see our ideas and I thank you for letting me see how the split swiss made and full 6 look. I like it.
    Kent108 and OmegaCosmicMan like this.
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

I'm with Chris on this one, the faux-aged or 'vintage' look doesn't get it for me. Red or red-tipped second hand is enough; perhaps it could be made an option as someone had suggested above, for those who would like it that way with the default being as Bill had hinted at. Also, I think the gilt or golden accents on hands or dial are just too much for this- I'm not interested in that either.

Thanks chris- good suggestions and thanks to aspr*** for mocking up these ideas-it is very helpful to have a picture, isn't it?

Good day to all- (Over and Out)

I'm not sure that it's so much faking the appearance of being old as being an, well, homage to the fact that it is a historical (and historic) design. But I figured that it might be contentious.

Here are some variations that I feel are more failed experiments:

Orange dial:

Vintage bezel-only:

Vintage dial-only:

Red tip second hand:

I think that the SM300 second hand tip is too stubby for this to be interesting.

Doxa-orange minute hand:

The SM300 hand shape makes this awkward.

"Sterile":

I know that there have been some advocates of the cleanest possible dial, so I've put the logo at 6 in Paradive style. To my eye, there's just a huge area that feels so empty. With how busy the original was, it feels utterly wrong to me - almost knockoff-like.

Oh! How's this one? The solid gold Saddam Hussein Limited Edition:

HenCho likes this.

And now there are a few more radical color schemes that I think are *very* interesting - potential variation dials if Bill does multiple types like the Kingston. I suspect that these will probably prove controversial.

Omega blue dial:

Vintage blue sunburst:

I think that this project is an absolutely fantastic opportunity to use a colored bezel. With the sapphire overlay protecting it, it would never get scratched up like so many aluminum ones.

White dial:

White dial and bezel insert:

Presumably the white dial and bezel could be fully lumed, like the Helson Sharkmaster. Whatever people might feel about white dials (though the SMP GMT Great White is quite popular), full lume dials are just AWESOME. Full lumed bezels look pretty amazing too.
    Last edited by ASRSPR; August 22nd, 2011 at 07:03.
    HenCho likes this.

And we have the Full Kingston, with gold text as proposed earlier:

And the Red Triangle (with red tip second hand thrown in):

Interesting, but I feel like we shouldn't just be taking cues from the Kingston.
    HenCho likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    I don't like posts that just read +1 hence: +225

I really like this; I thought that the white was just a little too white in all your previous renderings; this one looks just fine, especially if you give it a read second-hand and go back to the "closed loop P). Thank you so much for the time and effort you're spending providing these mock-ups

RonB
    Again, not entirely sure about the red tip since it's kind of a short tip. I feel like we shouldn't change the geometry of the hand too much (for instance, into the proportions of the modern Planet Ocean). I've actually grown quite fond of the Pheon script with the open-loop P, but I wonder what others think about that.

My kids love the orange dial, but they're not paying for it... The vintage bezel with the white dial looks great. Closed or open 'P' both look good, however the open 'P' looks a little less 'heavy'.

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast