Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 7
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

lately, i've been fighting my other me. it thinks that my seamaster 2254.50 is too lookalike to project 300 and doesnt endorse having two pieces of the "same" style.

my first me is not sure if the other me is correct or not.. thoughts..?

Correct me if I'm wrong: I was (am) under the impression that there are several different 2254.50 shapes around. So it's a little hard for me to picturize your statement.

Second, I don't mind having a MKII interpretation of an iconic watch. Look at it this way: would you go swimming with your Seamaster 300? I think most of us wouldn't think about it. I wouldn't hesitate for a second when wearing Bill's watch.

Third: if you had followed your 'other halfs' ideas, I would never have bought a Tornek Rayville next to my Stingray. And I'm very glad I own them both.

And finally: look here: TZ-UK • View topic - A hundred and five fathoms... The guy owns a Seiko 'fifty five fathoms' and has now bought a real Blancpain too! And looking at the cheaper watch, one can only admire the craftmanship when you compare it with the 'real deal'.

Keep on board! You'll regret getting off the train!

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

1- i dont think there are several versions of 2254.50. there are several versions of seamaster from that era but they each have their own numbering, depending on whether they are gmt, quartz, etc.
    2- yes, i swim with my 2254.50. or you mean a vintage sm300? well, with that one i probably wouldnt, but thats not really to the point. my trouble is that the other me thinks there is perhaps too little of a difference between 2254.50 and Project300..
    3- cant dispute that one :)
    4- cant dispute that one either :)

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    Mmm, I'm not a fan of these red accents: looks like a modded Seiko to me... Nothing wrong with modded Seikos, but not on this watch!
    Yeah; I like the red-lettering on my EZM1, but the red lettering makes the design less faithful to the original and perhaps too blingy. Anybody want to see a specific color? I'm going to try blue tonight.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Blue can look very nice if its bright enough. To dark and it disappears into the dial. Some of the guys have pointed out they would prefer it not be so close to the original anyway, a little bit of color might be the ticket.
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

Quote Originally Posted by chris7013 View Post
    Blue can look very nice if its bright enough. To dark and it disappears into the dial. Some of the guys have pointed out they would prefer it not be so close to the original anyway, a little bit of color might be the ticket.
    Depending how it turns out I wouldn't necessarily be against a little color (heck, I'm the one who liked the blue mock-up). Having said that, I'd be amazed if this watch was anything other than black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    Yeah; I like the red-lettering on my EZM1, but the red lettering makes the design less faithful to the original and perhaps too blingy. Anybody want to see a specific color? I'm going to try blue tonight.
    I hadn't considered the EZM! I own a EZM2 and the red lettering 'disappears' in the dark, leaving only the essentials: markers and hands. The Sinn's red lettering is less bright, it's closer to the black color of the dial.
    A few postings above, I showed a pic of a Seafighter with an Omega bezel. You 'translated' that pic into a mockup with a vintage bezel. Now, I looks as if the bezel on the Seafighter is blue-ish grey/blue. Perhaps you can incorporate this into your next mockup?

Menno

Lightbulb Re: Project 300: Dial and case design **Date Window Position?**

Not to distract from the excellent discussion here, but here is another element of the design that may need discussion or resolution. I know that some of us will want a date window and some will not. If I may - Is this open for discussion? If so, I would like to request or suggest that a 4:30 position date window be used in conjunction with a black date wheel. I would hate for a date window to mess up or change the classic appearance of the dial...What do you all think? And Thanks for all the great ideas.

OK. Three more test images.

First one has the slightly reduced logo and Circle-Y and darker red on the name.
    Second one is ljb187's request for a bit of blue. The blue is taken from the vintage blue bezel's color but lightened very slightly.
    Third one is per Thieuster's request, blue bezel + vintage bezel. I tried to mimic the vintage style of Thieuster's example.
    Name:  p300_dark_red_name.png
Views: 891
Size:  205.1 KBName:  p300_blue_name.png
Views: 824
Size:  205.4 KBName:  p300_blue_vintage_bezel.png
Views: 837
Size:  218.5 KB
    I think the middle one works really really well. Also darkening the red makes it look much better also. Note, images are 20% smaller than before cause I got tired of scrolling up and down this thread.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Great looking mockups. The red on the first one is much more EZM-ish. The second (blue) is nice, but as an owner of Bill's Tornek Rayville, I know that the blue is hardly visible when wearing the watch. And yes, I do like the third one: the one with the blue-ish bezel!

Menno

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast