Project 300: Dial and case design - Page 8
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial and case design

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial and case design

Call me a traditionalist, but I would rather the watch resemble the original as closely as possible. This would include having the date window at the 3 o'clock position, as with the civilian SM300's. If there were to be an option for a blue dial/bezel, that would be cool too, but I'd rather go with black/black.

I think the "original original" SM300 big triangle model was no-date (model 165.024). The date model (166.024) with no '3' and rounded-corner date window outline was available at around the same time, but the model number comes after the big triangle no-date SM300. Personally, I think the date option looks unbalanced. The blue dial/bezel is cool, but I don't see this as being anything but black-black. I do think the dark-red or dark blue accent on the dial is cool.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

to answer myself, google has come up with a nice picture of the two
    now i only have to reach a decision..

The ones on the pic are truely brothers. Not twins! There's no doubt that Bill's Project 300 will complement your collection!

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

More like cousins to my eye; and kissing cousins at that. The 2254 looks obviously much more modern (the hacky helium valve mars the sleek lines of the case for me). The SM300 has a much more vintage look with the 369 dial and old school bezel markings. I could see having both (and if things turn out right, I will have something close to both since I will eventually get my Great White back from the shop).
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Been away for a short bit. Bill, any input for the discussion or ideas on the progress?
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

Bill, there has not really been discussion on the other options, mainly:
    - shouldnt we dump the spare case and bracelet and thus lower the project price?
    - how do people feel about cutting down on the other spare parts and lowering the price?
    - will there be a spare SLN bezel insert - which is usually the part people scratch the most often?
    - shouldnt we go for a mesh bracelet instead of the current one?

im sure others can come up with even more questions that might be good to discuss..

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    - shouldnt we dump the spare case and bracelet and thus lower the project price?
    - how do people feel about cutting down on the other spare parts and lowering the price?
    - will there be a spare SLN bezel insert - which is usually the part people scratch the most often?

im sure others can come up with even more questions that might be good to discuss..
    I kinda like that mesh suggestion...

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post

There's a sapphire inlay over the bezel; scratches probably aren't a big concern. I like mesh bracelets, but I suspect that it's going to be a less universally popular choice.

I would like multiple dial options with spares in the parts kit.

Well, Changing the price point and talking ourselves out of plank owner options doesn't sound like the best route. I admit, I have no idea if this project will have any of the above and beyond extras of the Kingston run but I hope it does. I'm still going to wait for Bill to weigh in on the discussion we have provided and see where it leads.
    Chris
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information