Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 10
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Quote Originally Posted by Reintitan View Post
    Bill, another comment on the circle-Y. Would it be possible to make the font and thickness closer to that of the circle-T found on milsubs and/or even on the current CWC divers. It is very thick:

Yes we could do that.

Yao
    Quote Originally Posted by Semuta
    Well, I'm pretty sure the hands will be mixed, with silver hour and minute hands and a white second hand. This is one of the defining characteristics of the original watch so I'd be surprised if it didn't transfer over here.
    Yes that is correct. The shade of gray that I used on the hands turned out too light when I created the JPEG.

Yao

Here is the latest draft. Now that we got the broad strokes down its a matter of refining what we have. We still have to decide what we are going to do about the text on the dial but I have to mock up the other options for you. Sorry I didn't get that font yet to test out the "Project 300" text on the dial. For the time being I took the comments made as well as my own closer look at some reference images to make the following changes:

1. I made the "silver" parts of the case darker in color so that they stand out more easily. The insert is still in "aluminum" mode which will have to change. Mostly the markers and numerals will change to white instead of the silver they are now.
    2. Hour markers were tweaked smaller.
    3. The minute track was shortened
    4. Circle-Y was made slightly thicker in stroke
    5. Shrank the words "AUTOMATIC" and moved the positioning up on the dial
    6. 3, 6, and 9 made larger
    7. Minute hand adjusted but hour hand left the same
    8. Seconds hand hasn't been updated yet. I have to take a closer look at this.
    9. I tweaked the spacing of the numbers on the bezel insert and adjusted the size of the hash marks to be thinner and longer.

Everything else is the same. The cases have been aligned so that you can better reference the differences between the two version. The version numbers are referenced at the top of their respective mock-ups.

Let me know what you guys think. As we get more refined its going to get harder :D

I still have to work on the side profile which is generally more difficult than the top view because then things actually have to start matching up in 3D.
    Name:  20120621.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  118.1 KB

Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

Thumbs Up Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

I really like the changes you've shown to the minute track, the hour markers and the bezel layout. It's amazing how small subtle changes like this seem to "Open Up" if you will, the dial. I like the new spacing of the mIIk logo and automatic. It's a great improvement - Thanks for showing us this!

New dial looks good - but I am not sure about the smaller font.

I prefer with the circle Y.

I like the tweaks in v3.1 >>>

Ship it!

I might be beating a dead horse, but can we make the Circle-Y font even thicker?

Everything else is spot on.

If we do end up with having the name "Project 300" engraved on the case back (my personal preference ) can we do the super thick and deep engravings like the French MN did on their issued Rolex ref. 5513 Submariners? Probably the most awesome engraving I've ever seen.

Keep up the good work Bill.

Thanks,
    G.
    ljb187 likes this.

I agree with the second mock-up. Looks more balanced, especially with the MKII logo up higher.

I would also agree with the above posters about omitting the Circle-Y. I would prefer just a minimalist "300" in that spot, or a Project 300 there.

Hope this helps!

Just my thoughts.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.
    * Sinn 656
    * Sinn 956 Klassik
    * Hacher Airtimer
    * Bell & Ross BR03-92 Military
    * MKII Combat Diver
    * MKII Quad 10
    *Raven Vintage Sub
    *Lots o" Seiko's :^)

Wow, the minute track makes a huge difference! I think all the changes are moving in the right direction. I think the numbers on the bezel might have strayed a bit too far apart with regard to their kerning, but the widely differing weights of the the numbers makes it a bit of a sticky wicket. The minute hand length looks perfect to me now. A part of me wants the bezel triangle's corners to be rounded, like in the original; another part likes the similarity to the shape of the big triangle on the dial. It was looking good, now it's looking better. Thanks!
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Yao

Re: I like the tweaks in v3.1 >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Reintitan View Post
    If we do end up with having the name "Project 300" engraved on the case back (my personal preference ) can we do the super thick and deep engravings like the French MN did on their issued Rolex ref. 5513 Submariners? Probably the most awesome engraving I've ever seen.

This is an interesting idea. It would be kind of in the same vein as the COMEX watches too.

Re: I like the tweaks in v3.1 >>>

I really like the latest changes made to the dial.
    Regards

Barry

Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information