Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 13
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    I pretty much agree with this. I've got no philosophical/design issues with the circle Y, but this watch is very busy and crowded by default. Leaving the circle Y off this time around gives the dial room to breathe just a bit. Also, I've been on board with a simple engraved case back since the idea was first presented. It's a strong and effective way to acknowledge the watch's history.
    Ok noted RonB and ljb187

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by kkmark View Post
    Is there some way to play with the design of the seconds hand so it looks unique, as opposed to it being a very very close copy of the original?
    I guess I would have to ask what kind of "character" you think it should have or if you have a different style of sweep already in mind. The Milsub sweep perhaps from the LRRP?

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    I guess I would have to ask what kind of "character" you think it should have or if you have a different style of sweep already in mind. The Milsub sweep perhaps from the LRRP?
    This is an interesting point because I've always thought that the SM300's second hand was the most incongruous part of its design. It doesn't extend to the outer edge of the second marker track and the different color is a curious choice. It's not terrible, but maybe these can be some of the things to improve on in Mk II fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    I think some design flair can be injected into the seconds hand to make it unique to this watch. I don't have anything in mind...but I wasn't thinking necessarily of just having the Milsub sweep transplanted from the LRRP...

Color - could be white but as ASRSPR pointed out, maybe the same color as the other hands?
    Front end - could the triangle be broadened slightly or lengthened?
    Back end - what if you rounded the edges?

Just some thoughts.

I recall looking at your Milsub sweep on Clayman's Sandoz Milsub (when I used to own it) and thinking "wow" this sweep hand is definitely recognizable as a Mk II seconds hand.

Re: I like the tweaks in v3.1 >>>

I like just about all of the changes to the latest design, except for the circle Y (I prefer it 86'd from the dial). and the second hand. It just doesn't mesh well with rest of the watch. I think it stands out far too much. the hands are chrome, the retaining ring is chrome, but the second hand is pure white. I don't think making the second hand chrome would help because, even though it will subdue the second hand, it would also make the entire watch more bland. I don't think giving the hour markers chrome trim would help because it would look all too busy.

... now what I'm going to suggest is going to be very sacrilegious and perhaps not in tune with the "Omega" or "MKII" fashion, but it might help balance the dial greatly. Would you think inverting the pivot point of the second hand might help tone down the second hand? So instead of the wide headed second hand, we now have a wide tail. The lume would still be there, but on the opposite end of the pivot. I think this will tone down that second hand, yet still make it distinct from the rest of the dial and still be able to keep the balance at the same time.

edit: the seafighter's second hand in this forum's banner is a good example of what i'm referring to. except it will have a lumed spearhead shaped tail. The tail side of the pivot point could be painted black, while the head side of the pivot point is white.
    Last edited by G-Junkie; June 27th, 2012 at 02:08.

I would also vote for deleting the circle Y and going for a simple and deeply engraved treatment for the back. Impressive what a difference small changes make. Moving the MkII and automatic up made the entire dial seem more roomy. I like the second hand with the diamond shaped pointer. Makes more sense to me to have that to follow around if using the second hand for timing.
    Alan B

Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    I would also vote for deleting the circle Y and going for a simple and deeply engraved treatment for the back. Impressive what a difference small changes make. Moving the MkII and automatic up made the entire dial seem more roomy. I like the second hand with the diamond shaped pointer. Makes more sense to me to have that to follow around if using the second hand for timing.
    Alan B
    Move the MKII Automatic to the case back. Put the circle Y in its place. This will clean up the dial - super clean!
    We don need no stinking watches!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    I would also vote for deleting the circle Y and going for a simple and deeply engraved treatment for the back.
    +1 for moving the circle-Y to an engraving on the case back.

Neily

Alaska or between Alaska, Mexico and Oregon's high desert country

+1 for moving the circle-Y to an engraving on the case back.

Re: I like the tweaks in v3.1 >>>

I like the changes to the dial. I also like the idea of moving the circle y to they back and the thick engraving.

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information