Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 14
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

3, 6, 9

Guys:

An opinion about the numbers so far. I like that the 3, 6, and 9 have been made thicker in v3.1, but feel that while this style/font was perfect for the Vantage, it's too sterile for the Project 300. While I don't think it's necessary to use open 6s and 9s, I do think the numbers should reflect and enhance the character of the 300's design. As it stands, the clean lines of v3.1's numbers are almost jarringly out of place in an otherwise appealingly rough-around-the-edges design... sort of like wearing Dockers and a Polo shirt when visiting an NCO's club at the dive school in Porstmouth.

v3.1

Name:  300 v3.1.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  33.3 KB

Omega's original font is rounder, shorter and squater then v3.1 (big triangle w/date...my favorite configuration)

Name:  P1050366.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  78.6 KB

If that's too close, then something that gives off the same type of vibe used in MKll's own Type 2 dial would be worth considering

Name:  Type 2.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  133.3 KB

In a nutshell, numbers that are chunkier, squater and with more "quirks" as opposed to more perfectly formed and elongated is what I'm suggesting.
    Last edited by ljb187; July 11th, 2012 at 02:40.

Yao
    I will pick this up when I get back.

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    I will pick this up when I get back.
    Bill, How about an update on the P300 project.

Thank you Bill and regards, gman54

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Neily_San View Post
    +1 for moving the circle-Y to an engraving on the case back.
    Another thought is to use the Circle Y to sign all Mk II crowns.

Yao

Its taken me this long to get things back to a normal routine again. I will resume work on the design next week.

Ljb's comments on the font are interesting and I think I understand what he means but its going to be hard to find something that is perfectly imperfect.

Yao

I am currently working on the profile of the watch. This is where it gets really tricky. Drawing any watch from the front is relatively easy. However I want to get the side view started as well. If I spend all of the time getting the fonts correct on the front view I will end up leaving a huge amount of work undone when everyone will assume the design is a fait accompli when in reality its only half done. Also if I can get the case close to done we might be able to start the technical drawings sooner and then continue work on the dial and insert. This way we will have two processes running in parallel.

I would like to get the top and sides close to done so that we can spend the rest of the remaining design time on the fonts and tweaks.

However please do continue discussion of the dial and insert. I will check in.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    I am currently working on the profile of the watch. This is where it gets really tricky....I would like to get the top and sides close to done so that we can spend the rest of the remaining design time on the fonts and tweaks.

However please do continue discussion of the dial and insert. I will check in.
    I'm thinking something like this:

Name:  lazarcraft.JPG
Views: 514
Size:  29.0 KB

If we're all in agreement the matter has been reduced to simply figuring out where to place the movement so that the little alien creatures have a bit of leg room. Now, about those fonts...
    Yao likes this.

Re: 3, 6, 9

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    Guys:

An opinion about the numbers so far. I like that the 3, 6, and 9 have been made thicker in v3.1, but feel that while this style/font was perfect for the Vantage, it's too sterile for the Project 300. While I don't think it's necessary to use open 6s and 9s, I do think the numbers should reflect and enhance the character of the 300's design. As it stands, the clean lines of v3.1's numbers are almost jarringly out of place in an otherwise appealingly rough-around-the-edges design... sort of like wearing Dockers and a Polo shirt when visiting an NCO's club at the dive school in Porstmouth.

v3.1

Name:  300 v3.1.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  33.3 KB

Omega's original font is rounder, shorter and squater then v3.1 (big triangle w/date...my favorite configuration)

Name:  P1050366.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  78.6 KB

If that's too close, then something that gives off the same type of vibe used in MKll's own Type 2 dial would be worth considering

Name:  Type 2.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  133.3 KB

In a nutshell, numbers that are chunkier, squater and with more "quirks" as opposed to more perfectly formed and elongated is what I'm suggesting.
    I see the array !

I really like the way the prototype looks, and judging by the discussion here since Bill posted the v3.1 prototype, the only remaining debates at this point seems to surround the circle Y and the font on the bezel and dial.

While Bill works on the tricky part of the design, I came across this font for the 3, 6 and 9 on the dial which I think is very close to the original without being an exact copy, and works very well closed. What do you guys think?

Name:  20120621e.png
Views: 478
Size:  142.4 KB

Pluto looks good. Somehow, I have the idea that the 3,6 and 9 should be a little larger.

Menno
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

Thread Information