Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

I hope this Sunday I will be able to work on the dial and play with the Pluto font. The font shows real promise but I would like to tweak it.

The case I will continue to work on off-line as it is going to take a lot of iteration to get it just right. Also getting the bottom edge of the lugs to the right off-set from the case body is going to prove tricky.

Yao

This is what I have come up with so far this afternoon. Inspired by the Pluto font I strayed to take a look at the Copperplate Gothic font. I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me earlier but the Copperplate Gothic is similar but not exactly the same as the 12, 3, 6, 9 dials. So I cut off the serifs and re-worked the vertical/horizontal proportions to get what you see below.

I also played with the font for the depth rating. Its a composite of several fonts but I hope it doesn't look like a composite of several fonts. I haven't touched the bezel font yet.

Let me know what you guys think.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I like v3.2 a lot. The 9 and 6 are pretty close to perfect. The 3 looks a bit odd, though. The top and bottom e tensions seem to extend too long and too straight. Thanks!
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Speedbird I, MR-G120 G-Shock; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley
    I have found a source for ETA-28XX compatible destro dials (9 o'clock crown, 3 o'clock window). If you're curious of the source feel free to send me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    I like v3.2 a lot. The 9 and 6 are pretty close to perfect. The 3 looks a bit odd, though. The top and bottom e tensions seem to extend too long and too straight. Thanks!
    I think you're right on the money here.

Also:

I don't know how others will feel about this, but could the vintage/military presentation of this watch be enhanced by...I hope this doesn't sound rude or heretical...subsituting MKII's graphicly oriented logo with something more sterile? Perhaps along the lines of:

Mark II
    Automatic

or

MK II
    Automatic

Doing away with a company logo might actually help to take the watch even further out of homage territory and make it more of its own thing...perhaps...IWC does something like this on some of their Pilot watches (on the bottom to note the model - not on top for represent the company like I'm sort of suggesting):

Name:  IWC Xii.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  140.8 KB Name:  IWC Mark XV.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  51.9 KB

Last edited by ljb187; October 8th, 2012 at 02:08.

I like the the v3.2 Pluto version a lot.

It is quite remarkable how well Copperplate Gothic without the serif resembles the original font, the 3 looked odd to me initially but looking back at the photos of the original it does seem to be remarkably similar`. I liked Pluto partly because it resembles the original but feels a little more modern, whereas this is more faithful but still not an exact replica. I also liked that Pluto is not a font that can be found on most P.C.s, but in Bill's prototype it has been modified enough to not bother me. All things considered I think I prefer Bill's solution, ultimately I think the timelessness of the original will win out over time. One suggestion I would have, though, is that the 9 and 3 could just move a shade further away from the hour marker.

As for the depth rating, I am a fan of what is used for the Kingston/Nassau, and I would not be adversed to having the same font used. As it stands the ft just looks little too stylised for me.

Thanks Bill!
    Last edited by kywong; October 8th, 2012 at 14:42.

HJR

I prefer the Pluto font as they look familiar yet unique. The Copperplate font looks a little generic. I think the Pluto works well the original font was a fairly unique one, but not outrageously so. I feel the same way about the Pluto, without it being obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by HJR View Post
    I prefer the Pluto font as they look familiar yet unique. The Copperplate font looks a little generic. I think the Pluto works well the original font was a fairly unique one, but not outrageously so. I feel the same way about the Pluto, without it being obnoxious.
    Have been chewing on this one for a few days. I agree with you
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by Thieuster View Post
    Have been chewing on this one for a few days. I agree with you
    The Pluto font has been growing on me. I will take another look at it. When you blow it up it seemed strange to me at first.

I will also see what the "Kingston" font looks like for the depth rating.

I like the Copperplate. The horizontal parts of the 3 in Pluto are too straight for me. The biggest difference I see with the 3.1 is the smaller size of the numbers. I think I like them smaller than on the original, maybe not quite as small as on 3.1.

I think the idea of not using the the Mk II emblem on the front is a good one. It would give a more simple and utilitarian appearance. MK II looks good to me. Maybe the emblem could be on the back. In the center with the deeply cut military style letters and numbers above and below?

Great stuff,
    Alan

Thread Information