Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 19
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

The more I look at the modified Copperplate, the more I'm growing to like it. Needless to say, my preference remains to be with the Copperplate font, and this coming from the guy who suggested Pluto in the first place! I see what Bill means by Pluto being a little strange when blown up, the point where the circular part of the 9 and 6 connects has a sharp angle rather than being a smooth transition.

As it stands, it looks like people are divided between Copperplate and Pluto. I've taken the liberty of putting them side by side; I made sure the font sizes are extremely close to help us compare the two. Despite my preference for Copperplate, I hope I've given Pluto it's best shot by modified Pluto's problematic 3 by sampling the hook from the 9 and 6, and shortened the middle part.

Name:  CopperplateVersusPluto.png
Views: 1218
Size:  116.4 KB

Also, to get the ball rolling on the bezel font, here's a suggestion. The font is called Museo Sans, and in here the 1 is slightly modified to remove the horizontal line across the bottom. I also moved the logo up; the original's logo is very close to the triangle, and I hope this project will have a similar logo placement. Seeing that the bezel numbers varies much more greatly from model to model than the dial numbers, I am guessing that opinion would be more divided here! In any case, what do you guys think?

Name:  KevinsIdeal.png
Views: 1121
Size:  105.9 KB
    Last edited by kywong; October 19th, 2012 at 15:36. Reason: Uploaded the wrong photo!

HJR

kywong, great job! I really like the mods you made to the 3 for the Pluto. I originally picked the Pluto and I still think I prefer the Pluto, but the copperplate is growing on me as well. I would be comfortable with either.

As for the bezel, I really like the 1, 2, 4 and 5. I especially like the flattened top of the 4 (very Omega). But the 3 feels alien to the rest of the numbers. The angular style of the top is strange on a watch with such elegant lines. I know the 4 and 5 have angles, but they don't bother me as much.

Just my $0.10

Quote Originally Posted by kywong View Post
    The more I look at the modified Copperplate, the more I'm growing to like it. Needless to say, my preference remains to be with the Copperplate font, and this coming from the guy who suggested Pluto in the first place! I see what Bill means by Pluto being a little strange when blown up, the point where the circular part of the 9 and 6 connects has a sharp angle rather than being a smooth transition.

As it stands, it looks like people are divided between Copperplate and Pluto. I've taken the liberty of putting them side by side; I made sure the font sizes are extremely close to help us compare the two. Despite my preference for Copperplate, I hope I've given Pluto it's best shot by modified Pluto's problematic 3 by sampling the hook from the 9 and 6, and shortened the middle part.

Name:  CopperplateVersusPluto.png
Views: 1218
Size:  116.4 KB

Also, to get the ball rolling on the bezel font, here's a suggestion. The font is called Museo Sans, and in here the 1 is slightly modified to remove the horizontal line across the bottom. I also moved the logo up; the original's logo is very close to the triangle, and I hope this project will have a similar logo placement. Seeing that the bezel numbers varies much more greatly from model to model than the dial numbers, I am guessing that opinion would be more divided here! In any case, what do you guys think?

Name:  KevinsIdeal.png
Views: 1121
Size:  105.9 KB

HJR

Forgot to mention I liked the location of the MkII logo where it was originally.

Quote Originally Posted by HJR View Post
    kywong, great job! I really like the mods you made to the 3 for the Pluto. I originally picked the Pluto and I still think I prefer the Pluto, but the copperplate is growing on me as well. I would be comfortable with either.

As for the bezel, I really like the 1, 2, 4 and 5. I especially like the flattened top of the 4 (very Omega). But the 3 feels alien to the rest of the numbers. The angular style of the top is strange on a watch with such elegant lines. I know the 4 and 5 have angles, but they don't bother me as much.

Just my $0.10

Thanks for the great mockups kywong! I disagree with you on the bezel font, I dislike the clashing shapes of the sharp top of the 3 and less sloped base of the 2. I do like the copperplate version you used. v3.2 is growing on me and I still prefer it to the positioning and fonts in your mockups. I suspect that the reason your new logo position looks good is because of the hour and minute hand positions and that the original position would work better for more hand positions.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by HJR View Post
    But the 3 feels alien to the rest of the numbers. The angular style of the top is strange on a watch with such elegant lines.
    You have a really good point about the elegance. I actually do prefer a sloped 3 too, but to modify it from a straight to sloped top exceeds the Photoshop skill that I acquired through photography. The other numbers I thought worked best of those I've seen, but 3 proves problematic once again!

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    I suspect that the reason your new logo position looks good is because of the hour and minute hand positions and that the original position would work better for more hand positions.
    That is an interesting thought; from what I have seen of the original, despite the logo sitting quite close to the bottom of the triangle, it works extremely well at any hand position. But obviously the MKII logo is not as tall as the Omega logo, which may have an effect on the balance of the dial if retained at the elevated position. It would be good when the dial design is at a more advanced stage for Bill to mock up multiple hand positions.

HJR

Just curious about any progress. Anxious to see this project keep moving forward. Seems like it will be a beauty!

I am sorry if this question has been answered already but how can I order or pre order one of these?

Any progress on this watch ?????

According to MKII site....

See this link

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio Felix View Post
    I am sorry if this question has been answered already but how can I order or pre order one of these?

Hello All,
    I'm hoping that things will start up again soon. Mr. Yao, any updates?
    Happy not quite new year
    Alan

Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information