Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 20
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

-->
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Simply fantastic watches, love the white variation!
    Watch noob!

Interesting project!!! I like to see where this is going;) Any pictures of the finalized design???

In any case congrats on this community-sourced watch design project;) Such a great idea!!!
    TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500 (WAK2110) -- Archimede OutDoor Protect -- Maratac Mid Original Pilot -- Swatch (Windfall, Trueville, Whalebone)

Any way to check to see if one is on the email list or not? I'm about 66% sure that I have registered for email progress updates and for news about ordering (missed the pre-order) but that 34% is bothering me - I'd hate to miss out! Is it safe to just cross my fingers and register (possibly again)? Cheers, Mike
    Regular rotation: Halios Tropik-B grey dial; MKII - Kingston; OWC - 9411 DO; Seiko - SBDX001
    Occasional rotation: Halios, Dagaz, Marathon, MKII, Omega, Rolex, Seiko.
    Other: Bulova, BW Raymond, Citizen, Elgin, Eterna, Girard-Perregaux, Hamilton, Helenarou, Illinois, Longines, MCW, Tudor, Universal
    Gone but not forgtotten: Armida, Crepas, Raven, Steinhart, T.a.c..t.i.c.o, W3
    Inbound/Pre-ordered: Halios - Laguna (blue dial); Lew&Huey - Orthos (blue dial/orange bezel); Precista - PRS-82

Yao

I was hoping to get this update posted earlier this week but its been a long week and still a very long Friday to work through.

Here is where I am at as of last Sunday. I will return to work on the watch on this Sunday.

Attachment 1008940
    [See attachment}

Basically the outline is done. There is a lot of tweaking left to do to the ends of the lugs. I am leaving that work for later as there is a more pressing issue that I have to work on. The crown placement is approximately correct but its not going to work as the case is drawn right now. The tube will basically be half in the bottom of the bezel and half in the case body itself. Then there is the matter of allowing enough space for a click spring. The original SM300 used a press fit case tube which I want to try to avoid. If possible I prefer to use a case tube that is threaded into the case body. I have some ideas floating through my mind as to how to get this done. However if push comes to shove we may have to go with a press fit case tube (which will still feature a screw down crown) since the overall diameter is smaller. A press fit case tube would have the least overall impact on the design.

On Sunday I will take a closer look at the clearances between the parts and the proportions and see if there is some space that I missed that will work in my favor. Failing that it will require a re-proportioning of the case body and the bezel to create enough space between the parts to fit everything in. This is the primary reason why I haven't starting tweaking the lug design. If I have to re-proportion the case it will mean re-shaping the lugs any way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yao; April 8th, 2013 at 01:27.
    MHe225 likes this.

Hi Bill,
    You're in the right way.
    Come on.

Yao

Here is the latest iteration. If you have been following this thread this is a good time to chime if in you have an opinion. What I basically did is to re-proportion last week's version so that all of the parts can fit into the design. In a nutshell here is what I changed:

1) I moved the mid-section of the case up towards the crystal. Noticing after the fact that the crown placement is now closer to what the current Planet Ocean set up is like. I did take pains not to make the lug profile look like the Planet Ocean as it is too modern for this project.
    2) I decreased the height of the bezel. The reason I did this is to follow the original intent of the SM300, where the bezel is high enough to clear the crown. Keeping the bezel as tall as it was before would have meant that it was unnecessarily tall and this would have undoubtedly unbalanced the design.
    3) There is a section below the mid-section and above the case back that has gotten thicker as I basically pushed the movement farther towards the back of the case (wrist side)
    4) I re-shaped the lugs because the overall watch is now almost 1 mm thinner than last week. So the lugs needed a more sleek look and the ends needed some fat trimmed from them to match the thinner case. You could say now that the lugs now better resemble some examples of the vintage SM300s where the lugs were polished down over time and through several case refinishings.

Let me know what you think. At this point what I worried about (past tense) was the crown being too close to the wrist. In reality the case back will be thick enough to create enough space between the wrist and the crown to keep the watch comfortable. I like the way the current iteration looks in my mind's eye and I feel better about the overall design since it strays far enough from the original that it won't be mistaken for one but at the same time keeps the essence of the vintage version.

As I noted at the beginning of the post that this is a good time to chime in with comments or concerns because if I keep going down this path it is pretty much irreversible. The crown location sets the design.

[See attachment]

I will pick this up again on next Sunday and I wanted to get this posted so that we could get as much commentary as possible before I started work on the next iteration.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Yao; April 8th, 2013 at 01:29.
    Puck and enkidu like this.

I like the revised version. I'd guess it would seem as if it sits a little higher on the wrist, or at least it looks that way. And it would look a little less chunky - which is good. Trying to picture how the shorter bezel would compare but am having a little trouble because of all the grey. Am glad though that the project is moving ahead. Best, Ken

I agree with kkmark ( I'd guess it would seem as if it sits a little higher on the wrist )

Looks good - thinner is better, as is the lower bezel

Yao

Thanks Ken, Atrefact0, and Siess. Keep the comments coming guys.

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread Information