Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 23
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Quote Originally Posted by eganwh View Post
    You're right. Looking at the Kingston, the facet is barely visible and the crystal stands just slightly proud of the bezel insert. I can't speak for all, but I'd like the crystal to look as vintage as possible so maximizing the curve and the height would be key. That said, the approach utilizing the facet should work better to accomplish this.

No deal killer here for me. I'm all in.
    Well there is still room for discussion on this. So opinions are certainly welcome.

I can't speak for all, but I'd like the crystal to look as vintage as possible so maximizing the curve and the height would be key. That said, the approach utilizing the facet should work better to accomplish this.

+ 1

I would like to see a taller crystal closer to the bottle cap style on the seamaster, to me it's one of the defining features.

You're right. Looking at the Kingston, the facet is barely visible and the crystal stands just slightly proud of the bezel insert. I can't speak for all, but I'd like the crystal to look as vintage as possible so maximizing the curve and the height would be key. That said, the approach utilizing the facet should work better to accomplish this.

No deal killer here for me. I'm all in.
    +1
    Jussi

I like the lower profile case, but would probably prefer a height that is something in-between the taller and thinner version as the thinner version does seem to deviate from the original a little too much.

I also agree with Hekler that the tall crystal is a defining feature of the design and it wouldn't look right without it.

dwg

Unlike submariner, which has a clean timeless design, when you look at the seamaster from the side, you can tell, it was designed long time ago. It has a very specific profile and I agree, it maybe be good to stick to the original design here, as that's what sets this model apart from similar watches.

but it's hard to decide without some mock up. I've recently seen a Raven vintage 40mm sub homage, which is extremely similar to Kingston (just the proportions and detail are not there), but has extremely high crystal and I didn't like it - it was just too much.

Yao

The latest update from this past Sunday.

Changes made:

* I spent some time cleaning up the drawing making sure the side view starts to jive with the front view.
    * I put a higher dome on the crystal. Let me know if you think it should be higher. It rises to a higher peak than the v3.12 but I also brought the edges closer to the bezel so that it would look more like an acrylic crystal (i.e. the frosted section of the crystal will be less visible.)
    * I add the teeth into the bezel. I know this isn't in the proper perspective but I think its detailed enough to offer a good likeness.
    * I had to push the case back out a little bit more to try to create enough space between the crown and the case back to keep the watch comfortable. This result is that the watch will sit on its case back now when placed on a flat surface. The original sits on its lugs when laid on a flat surface. Now v3.13 is about as thick as the original but the heights of the components are distributed differently than the original.
    * The case back was made smaller in diameter. This may change again later because I am starting to work on the back of the watch. But connecting the 3 o'clock side with the 9 o'clock side in my mind is going to take a bit of trial and error. I still have to revise the 9 o'clock view for the changes made in the last 2 weeks.

Let me know what you think, especially about the dome on the crystal. A higher dome may change the price or it may not I am not sure at this point and the only way to find out is to have it quoted by the manufacturer. Just to let you know that this has to be one of the tallest crystals I have made. Its only shy of the record by 0.2 mm :D

[See attachment]

If this is okay I will return to work on the top view and the 9 o'clock section next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Yao; April 8th, 2013 at 00:30.
    tmoris, MHe225, Chromejob and 1 others like this.

I like the dome of the crystal in this latest rendering and would definitely not go higher. I was fine with last week's and this one is even better. That plus the "pushing out" of the case-back adds to the thickness / height of the watch. How much is the total height of the current design? I have the feeling that it shouldn't grow more from it's current height.

Looking great, Bill and thank you for posting all these different versions and elaborating on the reasons for the change. Not many designers are comfortable doing that and to me it just adds to the specialness of this watch.

RonB

That seems good. The end result should be as desired.(imo)

Thumbs Up Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Bill, Agreed with RonB's comments above...

I like the dome of the crystal in this latest rendering and would definitely not go higher. I was fine with last week's and this one is even better. That plus the "pushing out" of the case-back adds to the thickness / height of the watch. How much is the total height of the current design? I have the feeling that it shouldn't grow more from it's current height.

-It just keeps looking better and better in my opinion.....

While Inspired by the original 60-70 year old design, I would think that this watch is the result of evolution and growth - with subtle improvements, beyond that inspiration. (If I wanted a duplicate, I would seek out a Watchco or whatever.) I hope others see it that way as well.

Thanks-

Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread Information