Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 24
Like Tree100Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Quote Originally Posted by eganwh View Post
    You're right. Looking at the Kingston, the facet is barely visible and the crystal stands just slightly proud of the bezel insert....
    Hopefully this helps.. Just for comparison.

A MKII Kingston.
    Last edited by Chromejob; March 26th, 2013 at 13:21.

Apologies for typing. Post-arthroscopic surgery hunt n' peck in action. [Oct '14]
    “Your clock, is it correct?” “Always!”
    MK II Kingston "Bond 6538" style; 3-6-9 Nassau incoming. O&W M5, "5513." Orient EV09, ER1S (2010 STI Series I). Seikos: SKXA47K (2005), 7T32-6M59 (1991), H558-5009 (1985), 7A48-7000 (my precious! 1985), 7009-4040 (1980?), 6117-6410 (1974). Steinhart Ocean Black DLC. Tissot TXL Digital7.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    I also brought the edges closer to the bezel so that it would look more like an acrylic crystal (i.e. the frosted section of the crystal will be less visible.)
    Just to let you know that this has to be one of the tallest crystals I have made. Its only shy of the record by 0.2 mm :D

Attachment 1022684
    1. I wonder if that is the difference between the look of acrylic and mineral/sapphire, the frosted section you describe above. An acrylic crystal would not have that on the bend hence giving it a different look. Almost like vinyl to CD.
    1a. is there a way to have the crystal polished on the frosted part so that it looks closer to an acrylic one? I think that would be a really neat look. I think the Omega Moonwatch with Sapphire tried to get the crystal curve similar to the acrylic one and though not the same, they did an admirable job with it. I know that adds to the cost of this watch or any other, but I think it looks cool.
    2. What was the highest crystal you've done? I mean on what model?
    Rich
    Last edited by rmasso; March 26th, 2013 at 23:36.

Yao

The next update will be posted this Sunday. I will try to fix the lost attachments then as well.

Yao

I have re-uploaded the missing images that were lost with the server problem.

Below are the changes I have made today. We are beginning the refining of the design so the changes are getting less dramatic but no less important. Here is a list of the changes I made this week:

* I reconciled the side views with each other (9 and 3) and also the top view with the side views.
    * I made the mid-section of the case (the area around the crown) about 0.1 mm thicker and the top side a little flatter. To be honest I am not sure about this change yet. I have to stare at it a few days to see if I like it. I can make some adjustments to the bottom of the lugs to make the whole mid-section look thinner. I am just thinking if I haven't unbalanced the side view of the case with the latest changes.

I am going to start tweaking the top view next week and continuing to adjust the side view. I think I want to make the dial a bit bigger and the ID of the bezel a bit bigger as well. I may or may not need to free up some space for the side-walls of the crystal to make sure the dial isn't distorted when you look straight down on the case. I am not sure yet. (Please note that the dial isn't final. I just dropped in what I had. The print above the size can be decided last. Its more important that the font and size of the markers is right - Sorry just noticed that this still has the Arial numerals on that that are supposed to be replaced)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yao

It may be hard to see unless the pictures are scaled down to 1:1 but I am thinking about shaving either 0.5 mm off the length of the watch or making it wider (from 41.25 now to 42.00). The lugs look too long for my taste, although that is an accurate representation of the example I have here.

There's a Seamaster for sale in Holland. Here are two interesting pics (Eddy C.'s pics on Horlogeforum.nl):

Name:  8634771315_44fe498d75_z.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  110.6 KB

Name:  8635876952_e54b647a60_z.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  125.6 KB
    AlphaWolf777 likes this.
    Dive watches; not only for underwater

It may be hard to see unless the pictures are scaled down to 1:1 but I am thinking about shaving either 0.5 mm off the length of the watch or making it wider (from 41.25 now to 42.00). The lugs look too long for my taste, although that is an accurate representation of the example I have here.
    Shaving of the lenght would probably the way to go... didn't we have a pol about the total lenght of this watch sometime in the past where the majority where "for" a shorther caselenght...??

also... would really like to se a lower bezelring on thisone... iow, the straight part leading up to the knurls of the bezel. just my 2cents..
    eganwh likes this.
    Jussi

HJR

I would agree with jussi, that I would shave some length over going wider. I think one of the defining attributes that make Omega's design classic is the shorter lug-to-lug dimensions that their watches carry. For example, (according to web sources) the submariner has a 40mm case with a 47.5 L2L, while the seamaster has a 41mm case and a 47.3 L2L. Just my opinion as a big fan of Omegas!
    eganwh and lipjin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jussi View Post
    Shaving of the lenght would probably the way to go.
    +1

We can try and see what the manufacturer says to making the edge curved. I did this on the QUAD10 crystal. For the most part it looked really good. I can see what their reaction will be like. If we do do this we may have to make the crystal shorter (not sure just thinking out loud) because the sides are usually frosted. I don't think you can create a clean edge between the frosted section and the curved section so we would have to do our best to hide the frosted section under the bezel. So unless they can polish part of the side of the crystal and also frost the bottom half we may have to settle for a "shorter" crystal if we go this route.
    Is this the type of profile (blue area added) you were able to achieve with the Quad 10? Maybe this option is worth exploring as it is closer to the feel of the original. I see Helson has a bottlecap shaped sapphire on the latest generation of skin diver that looks really good. I wonder if using this style sapphire caused them to increase the watch diameter.

Name:  P300 MU 3.jpeg
Views: 547
Size:  208.9 KB

Thread Information