Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
    Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Sorry for the lack of an update. I was working on the 300 last Sunday. I have the latest mock-up hanging up in my office. I am just not sure about the lug profile that I have right now. I am trying to figure out if/how I should tweak it.

However I did end up just shortening the L2L length and the watch looks much better now. I hope to have a latest and greatest up in a few days or by this Sunday at the latest.
    MHe225 likes this.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Sorry for the lack of an update. I was working on the 300 last Sunday. I have the latest mock-up hanging up in my office. I am just not sure about the lug profile that I have right now. I am trying to figure out if/how I should tweak it.

However I did end up just shortening the L2L length and the watch looks much better now. I hope to have a latest and greatest up in a few days or by this Sunday at the latest.
    I finished the update for today but I will have to post it tomorrow.

I think I have the side view where I want it and it is ready for any final comment. All that is left is that the insert and the dial have to be worked on as well as tying up loose ends on the case itself. When I go to Basel I will have enough to make a meeting with the case supplier meaningful and for them to start on a quotation for the case and bracelet after the show.
    MHe225 likes this.

Yao

Here is the latest update. I am pretty happy with the final result for the side view so please let me know your comments on the side views....otherwise when I get back from Basel if I still like the side view that is pretty much the way it will stay.

Changes made:

* I made the "toothed" section of the bezel taller. The overall bezel height is still the same I just allocated more of the height to the teeth so that we could close the gap between the crown and the teeth. This also better balanced the bezel against the mid-section of the case. Part of the problem I was having with the design was the that mid-section just seemed overpowering to the rest of the case. I spent a lot of time wondering if it wasn't just an illusion caused by the 2D drawing.
    * I shaved a slight bit of thickness off the mid-section and also shortened the "drop" of the lugs. I was trying to balance the mid-section of the case body better with the bezel and the case back.
    * I also tweaked the case back profile

I know it may seem somewhat anti-climactic for 2 weeks' wait on an update but the subtle changes are important and sometimes they take time to reveal themselves. I am sure there will be additional small adjustments I will want to make when I return but fundamentally the side view is complete in my eyes.

If this looks good to you guys we will hit the bezel insert and dial design when I get back.

Name:  3.20.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  150.8 KB
    jussi, Thieuster, pinchoff and 4 others like this.

I would like to make one suggestion. I missed the pre-order period by 4 hours... very frustrating... so I bought a PRS-14 instead. It's a good looking watch but the spring bar holes are set far too high in the lug. Due to the prominent case back on that particular watch it can cause some discomfort with certain strap styles; it also made it difficult to accurately measure my wrist and watch for a mesh style bracelet. This case back is far more tapered and svelt so it will likely not be an issue however, I would recommend a close look and bar-hole placement when the time comes. Maybe someone else familiar with a PRS-14 can help me explain better.

You can be I'll be watching the sales forums like a hawk when these things hit the street!

Best,
    Jefferson Kirkland

PWMF
    WUS
    MWR
    TZ-UK

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by lycanthropejeff View Post
    I would like to make one suggestion. I missed the pre-order period by 4 hours... very frustrating... so I bought a PRS-14 instead. It's a good looking watch but the spring bar holes are set far too high in the lug. Due to the prominent case back on that particular watch it can cause some discomfort with certain strap styles; it also made it difficult to accurately measure my wrist and watch for a mesh style bracelet. This case back is far more tapered and svelt so it will likely not be an issue however, I would recommend a close look and bar-hole placement when the time comes. Maybe someone else familiar with a PRS-14 can help me explain better.

You can be I'll be watching the sales forums like a hawk when these things hit the street!

Best,
    Thanks Jeff for the information. What kind of straps did you have trouble with?

I am actually trying to make the back thinner but I think this is as thin as I dare go so any information you or someone else could provide might be helpful.

Here is the latest update. I am pretty happy with the final result for the side view so please let me know your comments on the side views....otherwise when I get back from Basel if I still like the side view that is pretty much the way it will stay.

Changes made:

* I made the "toothed" section of the bezel taller. The overall bezel height is still the same I just allocated more of the height to the teeth so that we could close the gap between the crown and the teeth. This also better balanced the bezel against the mid-section of the case. Part of the problem I was having with the design was the that mid-section just seemed overpowering to the rest of the case. I spent a lot of time wondering if it wasn't just an illusion caused by the 2D drawing.
    * I shaved a slight bit of thickness off the mid-section and also shortened the "drop" of the lugs. I was trying to balance the mid-section of the case body better with the bezel and the case back.
    * I also tweaked the case back profile

I know it may seem somewhat anti-climactic for 2 weeks' wait on an update but the subtle changes are important and sometimes they take time to reveal themselves. I am sure there will be additional small adjustments I will want to make when I return but fundamentally the side view is complete in my eyes.

If this looks good to you guys we will hit the bezel insert and dial design when I get back.

Great work on the bezel! really like the whole sideview of it! looks very refined & well balanced,but still rugged enough.
    an extra plus on making the bezel not look so...chimneys styled like the original sm300.
    Jussi

Limes 1Tausend
    Doxa SUB 5000T Caribbean
    Scorpion Reef Diver
    Seiko OM
    Prospex Tuna Can
    6105-8110
    SKX007 MM-franken
    Alpha PN

Here is the latest update. I know it may seem somewhat anti-climactic for 2 weeks' wait
    Certainly no disappointment here Sir. It looks fantastic :-D

Neily

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by eganwh View Post
    Is this the type of profile (blue area added) you were able to achieve with the Quad 10? Maybe this option is worth exploring as it is closer to the feel of the original. I see Helson has a bottlecap shaped sapphire on the latest generation of skin diver that looks really good. I wonder if using this style sapphire caused them to increase the watch diameter.

Attachment 1047926
    I wasn't ignoring your comment when I posted the latest update. I played with this a little bit on Sunday but I didn't really like the height of the dome that resulted when I flattened out the radius on the crystal.

Actually we did discuss this a few weeks ago. Adding the curve to the edge of the crystal I will see if it is possible. It certainly is technically possible (e.g. QUAD10) but different suppliers have different capabilities and comfort zones for these details. We are using the facet so that we can have a neat and clean transition to the frosted side of the crystal. Also the curve to the crystal, if not adjusted for properly with the dial can lead to an extreme amount of distortion when viewing the dial, which I think the Helson model exhibits. In the QUAD10 we did adjust for the distortion caused by the curve. In the Project 300 the addition of the curve may or may not force an adjustment of the proportions, which I would avoid, but I will ask the supplier how they feel about it. Given that though everyone should be comfortable with the facet instead or speak up now because that is the default option at this time.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by lycanthropejeff View Post

Best,
    Just so you know we didn't sell all of the watches yet. We only sold the first third. If you want to be notified when we re-open ordering please sign yourself up here.
    lycanthropejeff likes this.

Looks great! I still have a strong desire for drilled lugs, but that's just me being obstinate. I really like the profile of the bezel teeth. The dome of the crystal looks pretty perfect to me.

Is the bezel font set? I like all the numbers except the "1" which I think would look better with a slab serif top. Great progress!
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Speedbird I, MR-G120 G-Shock; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley
    I have found a source for ETA-28XX compatible destro dials (9 o'clock crown, 3 o'clock window). If you're curious of the source feel free to send me a PM.

Thread Information