Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 26
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    Looks great! I still have a strong desire for drilled lugs, but that's just me being obstinate. I really like the profile of the bezel teeth. The dome of the crystal looks pretty perfect to me.

Is the bezel font set? I like all the numbers except the "1" which I think would look better with a slab serif top. Great progress!
    Nothing about the dial or the bezel insert right now is set. We will begin addressing that when I return from Basel.
    sierra11b likes this.

Greetings Bill and Colleagues,

I would say that the placement of the lug holes can mitigate the thickness of the back. The most frustrating trouble I had was when I ordered a shark mesh band. I prefer my watches to sit on my wrist with little movement. I ordered the size that was recommended after diligently measuring both my wrist and the watch per the vendor's instructions. The band arrived and was too small at maximum adjustment. I failed to consider how much the case-back protruded below the plane of the lug holes and as a consequence the mesh is usable but not as comfortable as I was anticipating. Additionally, I think if the holes were closer to the bottom of the lugs it would allow more room for leather or thicker nylon nato/G10 style bands to slide on and off. The last reason is one of aesthetics. I think it just makes the strap look awkwardly placed on the '14, as if the holes were simply drilled arbitrarily with no consideration as to the function of the lug itself. This is really most apparent when using a mesh strap because you can see the spring-bar. In all fairness, the lug placement may have been chosen for some specific reason and the real problem is the thickness of the watch due to the anti-magnetic plate. Finally I would say that I think the lugs on this particular watch are one of the most appealing design aspects; I would imagine, by consequence, they are also the most frustrating to get correct. I think what you have so far looks perfect. Almost reminiscent of the lugs that were soldered on to pocket-watch to allow them to worn on the wrist in the trenches of the Great War. I think if you can get the holes as close to being on the same plane as the case back you will be well served. In reality we're talking about fractions of a millimeter, but somehow it really seems to make a difference.

Wow. Talk about first world problems.... But there you have it.
    Jefferson Kirkland

PWMF
    WUS
    MWR
    TZ-UK

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by lycanthropejeff View Post
    Greetings Bill and Colleagues,

I would say that the placement of the lug holes can mitigate the thickness of the back. The most frustrating trouble I had was when I ordered a shark mesh band. I prefer my watches to sit on my wrist with little movement. I ordered the size that was recommended after diligently measuring both my wrist and the watch per the vendor's instructions. The band arrived and was too small at maximum adjustment. I failed to consider how much the case-back protruded below the plane of the lug holes and as a consequence the mesh is usable but not as comfortable as I was anticipating. Additionally, I think if the holes were closer to the bottom of the lugs it would allow more room for leather or thicker nylon nato/G10 style bands to slide on and off. The last reason is one of aesthetics. I think it just makes the strap look awkwardly placed on the '14, as if the holes were simply drilled arbitrarily with no consideration as to the function of the lug itself. This is really most apparent when using a mesh strap because you can see the spring-bar. In all fairness, the lug placement may have been chosen for some specific reason and the real problem is the thickness of the watch due to the anti-magnetic plate. Finally I would say that I think the lugs on this particular watch are one of the most appealing design aspects; I would imagine, by consequence, they are also the most frustrating to get correct. I think what you have so far looks perfect. Almost reminiscent of the lugs that were soldered on to pocket-watch to allow them to worn on the wrist in the trenches of the Great War. I think if you can get the holes as close to being on the same plane as the case back you will be well served. In reality we're talking about fractions of a millimeter, but somehow it really seems to make a difference.
    Ok. Since we will be designing this watch for a bracelet with solid-end pieces I will have limited control of the issue but I promise to pay attention to this. I will go and check now how we are looking for NATO straps. I got very wrapped up in the design I haven't starting checking it for these issues, as I normally do.

Quote Originally Posted by lycanthropejeff View Post
    Wow. Talk about first world problems.... But there you have it.
    LOL...very true! Fortunately we have the luxury of spending our "off-time" like this.

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    Looks great! I still have a strong desire for drilled lugs, but that's just me being obstinate. I really like the profile of the bezel teeth. The dome of the crystal looks pretty perfect to me.

Is the bezel font set? I like all the numbers except the "1" which I think would look better with a slab serif top. Great progress!
    +1 on all of the points

Quote Originally Posted by HJR View Post
    I would agree with jussi, that I would shave some length over going wider. I think one of the defining attributes that make Omega's design classic is the shorter lug-to-lug dimensions that their watches carry. For example, (according to web sources) the submariner has a 40mm case with a 47.5 L2L, while the seamaster has a 41mm case and a 47.3 L2L. Just my opinion as a big fan of Omegas!
    I agree with shaving some length. Also, the latest iteration looks amazing, can't wait to see how this watch turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Changes made:

* I made the "toothed" section of the bezel taller. The overall bezel height is still the same I just allocated more of the height to the teeth so that we could close the gap between the crown and the teeth. This also better balanced the bezel against the mid-section of the case.
    I like this subtle change.

Name:  Project 300.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  131.7 KB
    Here is my vision of the project 300 Vintage Limited edition. This is a lume shot, notice the 3 4 5 bezel?

Name:  tumblr_m41btpo1M01qiqfor.png
Views: 1170
Size:  29.1 KB

The dial, bezel and insert are looking great. But there is one thing I would give people the option for - a flat crystal. I (and I'm sure many others) have never liked domed crystal watches.
    Name:  Mark II Concept.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  117.9 KB

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by Auswatch View Post
    The dial, bezel and insert are looking great. But there is one thing I would give people the option for - a flat crystal. I (and I'm sure many others) have never liked domed crystal watches.
    Name:  Mark II Concept.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  117.9 KB
    Unfortunately the crystal shapes are mutually exclusive. To do the domed sapphire right you won't have enough space for a flat crystal.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread Information