Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 27
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Yao

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Finally the update is ready. I can't tell you how relieved I am to be actually posting something. I spent a pretty frustrating day so far playing with fonts and proportions. Mostly it came down to the flattop 3 in the number 30 on the bezel. I had to do more "customization to a standard font than I normally do. There is still more work do on that number to pretty it up. Still looks more like the bride of Frankenstein right now.

Here are the changes:

* Side profile is the same, no changes
    * The bezel font has been updated: Let me know what you think of the style of the font and then let me know details like the stroke thickness if you have an opinion. The stroke thickness of the numbers varied widely (no pun intended) amongst the original watches so I think we can do whatever you guys would prefer, within reason.
    * Dial font has been updated: I was going to use the Pluto font but opted to modify a Copperplate Gothic font instead. The bezel font is based on the same font as the dial so there will be some consistency. However I had to tweak the dial numbers differently from the bezel to re-create the same feel.
    * Bezel insert inner-diameter and outter-diameter have been increased. The last version felt as if the bezel insert was too dominant so I increased its diameter and made the width of the insert narrower.
    * Dial has been increased in size slightly to keep it in proportion with the bezel insert.
    * Bezel diameter has stayed the same
    * Case length is the same

You will probably note that there is a lot of gray area between the dial and the bezel insert. Most of this space is where the crystal will sit so you won't be able to see the span between the dial and the bezel insert. I am planning making the edge of the case opening reminiscent of the tension rings that were used to keep the original acrylic crystals in place. Since we are using sapphire we won't need a tension ring.

Well let me know what you think. We are close to getting the broad strokes done. After we get the dial and bezel insert nailed down its to the nitty gritty of spec'ing everything out and getting the technical drawings started.

Btw I did meet with the case supplier while I was Basel and they have the preliminary drawing and are working on the quotation for the case.

Name:  3.22_test.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  150.5 KB
    Chromejob and AlphaWolf777 like this.

I don't know if this helps or not, but....

I was always told that it is easier to ask for forgiveness, rather than permission.

That being said, I took the liberty of making a side by side comparison;

Name:  Compare  3.20->3.22.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  151.3 KB
    Here it is...
    Yao likes this.

Some quick thoughts:

Overall, I like your approach to the dial fonts better in 3.22.

Layout; proportions look good on the changes to bezel-dial relationship.

Now; here is where I am going to wonder out loud ...How did we get to a 'flat-topped-3' on the bezel? I know that I had made a suggestion that included the same thing previously, but now I question it...?

Would we be better off (and make it easier to accomplish too) if we just went with the same font (and used a 'round-top-3') for the bezel as the dial?

If the bezel is going to be a lumed sapphire insert, will that affect the thickness or the kind or type of detail that can be incorporated into the bezel-insert-font, and still be luminescent?

I still think that the dial could be cleaned up by leaving off "Automatic."

and....

(I would like to see Project 300 in script on the dial, but of course it wouldn't kill the deal for me either way.)

Thanks for this, Bill. I appreciate your efforts.

Looks like I'm in the same boat as OCM ...... I'm not loving the flat-top 3 and think a round-top would look (much) better and more balanced. It's almost as if this one number is taken from a different character-set / type.

Also, I would like to see the numbers a wee bit thicker / heavier / bolder (I guess that's what Bill means with stroke thickness?) Somehow that seems more authentic and balances the watch out better.

I would also change the number 1 in 10 and replace it with a one that has the little hook to the left (when in elementary, we called it a little flag). So 1 instead of |

I don't think the dial needs "cleaning-up" and Automatic can stay. If it's voted off, then that's fine with me too. And another vote to replace the depth rating on the dial by Project 300 in script.

The changes in dimensions are very subtle (thanks OCM for the side-by-side) and version 3.22 has a more appealing look and feel to it, so that one receives my vote.

Thanks, Bill, it's coming along very nicely.
    RonB
    Last edited by MHe225; June 7th, 2013 at 03:58.
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

I think that I like the new dial font but I am not sure about the 3 in the bezel. Is there any historical significance to the flat 3?

I am fine with the automatic and depth rating on the dial.

I like the flat 3. All the non-zero numbers on the zero have at least one flat surface and I think the flat-top 3 balances well with the 2, 4, and 5. I would like to see a top serif on the 1, I think the serif-less stick "1" looks a little light. The case looks great. Is it correct to assume that the standard reeding will be used? Looks great overall. Thanks!
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

I really like the new proportions of Ver. 3.22. As others have said, I do not care for the flat-top 3. In the side by side the rounded 3 looks better to me. I think the dial is fine, but I would also be ok with adding "Project 300".

Quote Originally Posted by MHe225 View Post
    ...... I'm not loving the flat-top 3 and think a round-top would look (much) better and balanced. It's almost as if this one number is taken from a different character-set / type.

Also, I would like to see the numbers a wee bit thicker / heavier / bolder (I guess that's what Bill means with stroke thickness?) Somehow that seems more authentic and balances the watch out better.

I would also change the number 1 in 10 and replace it with a one that has the little hook to the left (when in elementary, we called it a little flag). So 1 instead of |.

Thanks, Bill, it's coming along very nicely.
    RonB
    I agree with these statements - Well Said, RonB. Thanks!

The changes are really subtle, but Ver 3.22 looks noticeably better.

The 'Automatic' can stay or go; either way is fine with me and the dial layout looks good. The same with the depth rating or 'Project 300' , although I would hope that if the name doesn't make it onto the front of the watch it will be incorporated into the case back design. By the same reasoning, if the depth rating appears on the front, it does not have to be repeated on the case-back.

-Best to All-

I think the flat top 3 was found on the military SM300's, but I could be wrong. I think the new mock up looks great (though I am still a firm believer open 9s and 6s).

Never mind, I am wrong. But the flat top 3 is historically accurate too.

Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread Information