Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 28
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

I agree with many of the comments around the proportions of the case/dial/bezel - looks very well balanced.

The gap between the top of the crown and the bezel top edge is in keeping with the original - well done.

I am good with the flat top three in the bezel numbers and agree with another comment about going with a flat top 1 (consistent with the early bezel versions on the gen II SM300) on the bezel as well.

Did we decide not to add the name to the dial? I could go either way on this.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post
    I don't know if this helps or not, but....

I was always told that it is easier to ask for forgiveness, rather than permission.

That being said, I took the liberty of making a side by side comparison;

Attachment 1108054
    Here it is...
    This side-by-side does help visualize the differences, so thanks! The revised design, 3.22, does look better balanced, more open, and more appealing. (I have to wonder a little, though, if part of the added appeal is from the brighter grey relative to v3.20.)

I agree with those who feel the round-topped 3 is the better-looking design. With the closed end of the flat top (the end connecting to the rest of the number) being "inside" there's an impression that the 3 is running away from the outer edge of the bezel, due to the curvature. The 5 displays the same effect, but it's a good effect for the 5 since there we're looking at the open end.

Greg

Overall, I like 3.2.2; however, I recommend removing "Automatic" and the depth rating from the dial. I prefer to see P300 on the dial. I do like the flat top font on the bezel.

About the 'Flat-topped 3' ....

It has been bouncing around in my little brain. I know I have seen many photos and illustrations, auctions on eBay , sales on MWR and here.

I have seen it both ways, but I seemed to recall seeing it in prominence somewhere recently, AND (with apologies to Bill...)

The header for the Project 300, including a photo of Bill's inspiration.

Name:  seamaster_banner3.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  88.1 KB

Yup. This where I saw it.

So, I am fine with it if it can be fixed. Somehow the 'original flat-topped three' (as shown above) looks better...not so wide across the top or something.

This kind of stuff must drive Bill crazy.....

-My Best to all-

I like the flat top 3. I think the use of two different 3s on the dial and bezel is quirky and a nice detail. I'd rather remember this discussion and everyone's thoughts by seeing the two 3s, not by remembering how we/Bill decided to lose the flat top.
    Great discussion and the watch is looking great.
    Alan

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by siess View Post
    I think that I like the new dial font but I am not sure about the 3 in the bezel. Is there any historical significance to the flat 3?

I am fine with the automatic and depth rating on the dial.
    The "3"s on the bezel come in both styles, flat top and rounded. Here is a pic of the flat top but we don't have to use it if you guys prefer the round:

Name:  fdfb19a2.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  32.3 KB

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    I like the flat 3. All the non-zero numbers on the zero have at least one flat surface and I think the flat-top 3 balances well with the 2, 4, and 5. I would like to see a top serif on the 1, I think the serif-less stick "1" looks a little light. The case looks great. Is it correct to assume that the standard reeding will be used? Looks great overall. Thanks!
    You mean the reeding on the bezel? For the bezel the teeth are slightly beefier than the original.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaCosmicMan View Post
    About the 'Flat-topped 3' ....

It has been bouncing around in my little brain. I know I have seen many photos and illustrations, auctions on eBay , sales on MWR and here.

I have seen it both ways, but I seemed to recall seeing it in prominence somewhere recently, AND (with apologies to Bill...)

The header for the Project 300, including a photo of Bill's inspiration.

Name:  seamaster_banner3.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  88.1 KB

Yup. This where I saw it.

So, I am fine with it if it can be fixed. Somehow the 'original flat-topped three' (as shown above) looks better...not so wide across the top or something.

This kind of stuff must drive Bill crazy.....

-My Best to all-
    That used to be my own military SM300. :D

Hmmmmm....this is quite a problem. Flat topped 3 or curved topped 3? Personally I did the flat topped 3 because it was more quirky and unusual. But the observation about the "3" running away from the bezel is an accurate one. As you can see in the example OCM re-posted here it looks like its leaning away from the "0" but I think in this particular case its a printing error. Since someone remarked on that even though I thought I fixed it is a bit troubling.

I will revise with a thicker stroke to the font on the bezel and try out a curved topped "3" and see what you guys think. The depth rating I think we should keep on the dial. Although I am generally against appealing to the lowest-common denominator only for the sake of appealing to the LCD I think in this case it would probably best to stick with something more conventional, especially since so far its been impossible to find a good font for the Project 300 name. This is different from say just giving you guys what you asked for. Generally speaking I think the "Project 300" name will turn off a lot of potential customers outside of the Plankowners since many won't have participated in the design phase and won't get the attraction of the name, while I think the depth rating will be at worst a neutral for anyone. We can use the Project 300 name on the case back.

For the word "AUTOMATIC" I can also go either way. I am okay with taking it off if that is what most people prefer.
    AlphaWolf777 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    That used to be my own military SM300. :D

......The depth rating I think we should keep on the dial. Although I am generally against appealing to the lowest-common denominator only for the sake of appealing to the LCD I think in this case it would probably best to stick with something more conventional, especially since so far its been impossible to find a good font for the Project 300 name. This is different from say just giving you guys what you asked for. Generally speaking I think the "Project 300" name will turn off a lot of potential customers outside of the Plankowners since many won't have participated in the design phase and won't get the attraction of the name, while I think the depth rating will be at worst a neutral for anyone. We can use the Project 300 name on the case back. ....
    Thank You Bill. I can understand your insight into this much more clearly now. I very much appreciate that you took the time to respond.

It's all good, and it all makes good sense, too. Thanks again....

-Best-

About the "automatic" I for one think it should stay for balance...

-why? because I think that without it, the big triangle with only the mIIk text will look like a big exclamation mark from a distance.
    ...just my thougts
    lycanthropejeff likes this.
    Jussi

Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread Information