Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 29
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    dwg

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

I also prefer 3.2.2.

The 'technical' flat top font seems to suit the tool watch well. Another thing is the distance between 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 etc. numerals. On the original watch is seems just slightly bigger, than you would expect, which adds to the 'techno' look.

edit: it's probably fractions of millimeter anyway.
    Last edited by dwg; June 11th, 2013 at 22:08.
    Flip.willy likes this.

Your comment regarding the watch name "Project 300" being on the makes sense; however, it is in fact the name of the watch... right? The Kingston name is proudly displayed on the dial. I prefer the name on the dial. That said, I'm in for this project from start to finish regardless of the name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    That used to be my own military SM300. :D

Hmmmmm....this is quite a problem. Flat topped 3 or curved topped 3? Personally I did the flat topped 3 because it was more quirky and unusual. But the observation about the "3" running away from the bezel is an accurate one. As you can see in the example OCM re-posted here it looks like its leaning away from the "0" but I think in this particular case its a printing error. Since someone remarked on that even though I thought I fixed it is a bit troubling.

I will revise with a thicker stroke to the font on the bezel and try out a curved topped "3" and see what you guys think. The depth rating I think we should keep on the dial. Although I am generally against appealing to the lowest-common denominator only for the sake of appealing to the LCD I think in this case it would probably best to stick with something more conventional, especially since so far its been impossible to find a good font for the Project 300 name. This is different from say just giving you guys what you asked for. Generally speaking I think the "Project 300" name will turn off a lot of potential customers outside of the Plankowners since many won't have participated in the design phase and won't get the attraction of the name, while I think the depth rating will be at worst a neutral for anyone. We can use the Project 300 name on the case back.

For the word "AUTOMATIC" I can also go either way. I am okay with taking it off if that is what most people prefer.

I'd be happy with either a flat-top or round-top '3'. But I would like the '1' to have a top serif. I have a slight preference for having just the MKII logo without the "AUTOMATIC" but the difference is minor for me. I really like the "300 m — 1000 ft" text. Looks even better after a week for me.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by dwg View Post
    I also prefer 3.2.2.

The 'technical' flat top font seems to suit the tool watch well. Another thing is the distance between 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 etc. numerals. On the original watch is seems just slightly bigger, than you would expect, which adds to the 'techno' look.

edit: it's probably fractions of millimeter anyway.
    Fractions of a millimeter matter :D
    OmegaCosmicMan likes this.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by gman54 View Post
    Your comment regarding the watch name "Project 300" being on the makes sense; however, it is in fact the name of the watch... right? The Kingston name is proudly displayed on the dial. I prefer the name on the dial. That said, I'm in for this project from start to finish regardless of the name.
    Yeah you are correct. The problem is I can't make it look good. The font is everything for this and it just doesn't look right with everything I have tried.

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by enkidu View Post
    I'd be happy with either a flat-top or round-top '3'. But I would like the '1' to have a top serif. I have a slight preference for having just the MKII logo without the "AUTOMATIC" but the difference is minor for me. I really like the "300 m — 1000 ft" text. Looks even better after a week for me.
    Okay. I will try the serif'd 1. I think it will look good either way but in a different way of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Okay. I will try the serif'd 1. I think it will look good either way but in a different way of course.
    Thanks Bill, I think the serif'd 1 will balance the bezel nicely.
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Any progress on the round top 3 and the top serif on the 1? Any other updates. I'm getting really hungry to wear this watch!
    Alan

Yao

Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    Any progress on the round top 3 and the top serif on the 1? Any other updates. I'm getting really hungry to wear this watch!
    Alan

Here is the the version with a round top "3". Sorry for the delay. I got caught up trouble shooting a supplier problem over the last week or so.

I added a serif to the "1" in the 10 and the 30 has been changed to the round top version. I also thinned the "stroke" of the numbers on the bezel slightly.

Name:  v3.23.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  175.9 KB

I will be in Taipei for the next two days.
    Last edited by Yao; July 18th, 2013 at 11:05.
    gman54, MHe225, White Tuna and 4 others like this.

Looks great. Even without the name on the dial . Looking forward to strapping it on!

Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread Information