Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot) - Page 3
Like Tree222Likes

Thread: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Re: Project 300: Dial design (thread reboot)

Quote Originally Posted by Yao View Post
    Oh good I thought I was hallucinating.
    I have that affect on people.

Quote Originally Posted by ljb187 View Post
    2) I’m not a big fan of then name Project 300 (it sounded “clubby” to me) but felt that abbreviating it on the dial gives it a useful amount of terseness and adds a bit of mystique.

How about just "300" and omit the word "Project" completely? It will eliminate the clubbiness, but retain or even enhance that mystique. If you feel that "300" seems a little meager on its own, then perhaps "MKII 300"?
    Tetraflop likes this.

C3 for me! Thanks, Bill.

Here is the lume shot finally. I had meant to post this about 1 week ago but the servers here on WUS happened to go down half-way through my creating the post.

Attachment 711783Attachment 711784

Sorry for the color which is a bit off in the daylight shot. I think I mentioned this before but I am not too familiar with this camera. I downloaded a free light meter for my IPhone which I will have to try next time and see if I get a better result.

One point to mention...I am not entirely sure the lume on the dial of the Omega sample is C3 it may be "Natural" rather than C3 if that makes a difference to any one. The other detail is that the lume application method Omega used on these replacement dials is not the same method we will be using on the Project 300 and its not even the same method they used back in the 50s. The method we normally use on our Mk II dials is the same basic method the industry used back in the 50s.

I really like the Lombritz font as shown above (in my attempt at a dial mock-up), but could live with Sur Script from ljb187's post. I don't really care to change the name or add "Professional" or any of that other Hoo-Haw others have suggested. I could live with "300" I suppose, but that isn't strictly the name that the plank owners settled on through the poll we all participated in - i am actually somewhat irritated that others, who don't like the name "Project 300" , keep suggesting ways to get around it by adding or subtracting....oh well, I'm tired and cranky. Best to leave it at that.

Edit: I can live with Bill's suggestion and trust his judgment, for the depth rating nomenclature '300 m ~ 1000 ft' to appear in lieu of 'Project 300' on the dial face.

Simpler is better! C3 lume (it's brighter! It will last longer and shine more!), closed 6's and 9's - this watch has the unique opportunity to be very distinctive with its own style that pays homage to the original Omega inspiration, but it shouldn't go so far as to be perceived to be a 'copy' in any way. I think it may even be more appealing than the Omega - it certainly seems that way to me. Thanks for the opportunity to speak up. Now, off to bed I go - Regards to all, -Best.
    Last edited by OmegaCosmicMan; May 25th, 2012 at 17:22. Reason: (Clarification instead of rant.)

Yao

Memorial Day weekend is approaching and I realize a lot of people probably have been offline but if we can't get more feedback soon I will push ahead with the design where I think it should go based on the comments received so far.

Memorial Day weekend is approaching and I realize a lot of people probably have been offline but if we can't get more feedback soon I will push ahead with the design where I think it should go based on the comments received so far.
    So long is the watch has a mother of pearl dial, diamond indexes and a quartz movement the rest is small beer.
    Chronopolis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao
    ..... if we can't get more feedback soon I will push ahead with the design where I think it should go based on the comments received so far.
    Mr. Bill, is my assumption correct that you're also incorporating the feedback and comments from the close Project 300: Dial and case design thread?
    If not, then I'm happy to compile my feedback / views / wishes and post them here as well (although that would defeat the purpose of the thread reboot).

Happy Memorial Day / Weekend to all - enjoy an extra day off and safe travels for those who do.

RonB

Please, go ahead. I'll rely on your good taste, and proven judgment - Time flies by. And, I hope your weekend is a Good One.

I'm good with moving forward, the longer we wait the more ideas pop up that I like. Digging the MKII automatic dial no date BT and maybe with Automatic in gilt lettering. Biggest thing I cant wait to see it how the crystal and bezel insert turn out. Date window if it's there has to be rounded I agree and again I'm curious about how thickly applied the lume will be. Any Ideas guys?
    Seiko: 62MAS, 6105, 6306, 6139, BASM, FFF
    Marathon : GSAR
    Doxa: Anti-magnetic '45
    MKII: Project300 plank owner

Oh, I assume the dial will be matte? I'm afraid I don't know if the original had matte or smooth/shiny dials. Or perhaps with the sapphire bezel, a smooth dial will look better? Or, even cooler, could the sapphire be made matte?
    Nomos Orion Anthracite; Destro watches: Ω "Great White" GMT, MKII Blackwater, Sinn EZM1 LE, IWC 3536-001, MKII Kingston, Precista Speedbird I, Casio MR-G120, Casio GW-5000, Sinn EZM2; Former Watches: Corvus Bradley

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information